Stupid questions about fisher 80AZ

I usually use 4-40 for sockets and the like. 6-32 works for octal though. I seem to end up dealing with mini types more often. Not by choice, they just happen to be the ones that I need to replace most often. Stupid wafer sockets.

I wish I could find a good deal on a rectangle knockout punch for iec mounting. there is a 20.5mm x 27mm on fleabae for I think $179... it's prob worth it if I keep using metal chassis. I do like wood with plexi top though because it offers a lot of inert material between signal and power lines...and it seems to be a lot easier to spread things out when you have a cavernous box to fill.

all together needs feet and a lamp bullet or substitute and gotta order another rectifier tube.

Attachments

• 80azf4.JPG
    80azf4.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 80azf1.JPG
    80azf1.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 39
  • 80azf2.JPG
    80azf2.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 80azf3.JPG
    80azf3.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 39
rectifiers ordered. I have some SSR6/5R4 SS diode rectifiers I think I could use but want to ask the question first. I have read it will sub for 5V4 but want to know it won't hurt anything...

Last edited:
You may have different B+ with the SS rectifier in there, you'd have to measure. I think a 5R4 is a somewhat lossy direct heat rectifier, and a 5V4 is a not so lossy indirect heat rectifier. Don't have a tube data book in front of me to confirm. One thing with SS rectifiers, if it doesn't have a delay the voltage available at turn-on will be higher than it would be with the tube rectifier. If you have any caps that aren't rated for the voltage spike you'll find them the hard way.

I have a variac to go slow but I think I already found a couple things that need fixed first-multi cap a and b leads I wired wrong and one of the larger coupling caps I used is contacting the bias pot. So couple hickups but should be done again when rectifier tubes get here.

So had oral surgery but also collected most of a second unit while laid up-hope to get up and going again soon.
Going to transplant the thread to a fresh title when I start the second refurb.

Back
Top Bottom