StylinLP New Wharfedale w90 speaker restore thread

For the files: Found this containing an article/advertisment on the original version Wharfedale W90s.

http://americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/60s/Audio-1962-oct.pdf

And in this issue is a full-length article/review on the early W90s.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-High-Fidelity/60s/High-Fidelity-1963-Jul.pdf

Yeah, thanks for posting that. The americanradiohistory.com site has a bunch of great old hi-fi stuff, those included. I found both of those quite a while ago, but it can definitely use an update for others here. That W90 review is interesting, especially where they talk about them on the floor versus on the factory stands. "Near-magical" is a great choice of words for the W90's. That review still just scratches the surface though. The W90's have OODLES of potential, just waiting to be unleashed. They're fussy about placement distances and height (and caps in the case of the alnico ones), but when you get them right, you know it. They go from 2D to 3D. I've noticed they do an eerily-real-sounding floor tom. ALL of the tom-type drums in the typical rock or jazz kit sound amazing.

Last edited:
@ StylinLP

Since your W90's are a little different than mine, I was curious about a couple things. First off, what kinds of music do you play through yours? I couldn't remember whether you were a classical or classic-rock guy. When I turn my system. say with some old '70's funk stuff with a clavinet and some horns, and maybe a B3 thrown in, I swear it's like someone just turned on the happy switch. Literally. It grabs at your soul. And this happens at such a low, uber-comfortable level. I'm using an 800C, which is not the warmest receiver in the world (Certainly not the warmest Fisher), but there IS some there, just not a lot compared to the other tubers from the '60's. How is it with your setup? Do you notice that "blanket of happiness" effect with yours? That spooky-addicting quality?

Boy, I'm loving this "Right On" set ("Breakbeats And Grooves From The Atlantic And Warner Vaults"). It's the essence of old-school. I feel like I should be wearing a bright purple pimp outfit with one of those big hats, and maybe a diamond-studded cane or something. :smoke:

Last edited:
Hey there... Had to revisit this thread again... Speaking of which, I'm starting to wonder if maybe those mids are the alnico ones. Look at the magnets and how tall they are. I need to look at pictures of the other ones and compare from that same side angle

By the way, everybody, I wanted to say, sorry for being MIA so long. I have a bad habit of pulling a disappearing act from forums when things start getting a little crazy in my personal life, which is basically what happened, and then it becomes more and more-difficult for me to make my way back as time goes on, which is basically a product of the OCD. Doing alright these days, just been picking up the pieces after that crazy situation with my now former neighbors (who were finally evicted, thankfully). Right now I'm working on moving, hopefully in early November or early December. Got a place in mind. but just trying to lock down all the logisticals of that. Nice place though, so I got my fingers crossed. Hope everyone is doing well.

Good to see (and have) you back GT! Was really concerned no one would ever "help" everyone with their vintage Wharfies like you do!

:beerchug: :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::bowdown::bowdown::rockon::rockon::hug:

Sorry about the minor thread jack. :rolleyes:

Glad you're back.

Remember, you don't really owe any of us anything, even an explanation.

But yeah, you were missed. It's nice having you around.

Back
Top Bottom