Stylus/Cartridge question ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotgas

I just bought the Shure Type III from George. I noticed a big different height from the mounting surface of the cartridge to the stylus compared to my old Shure. This causes the stylus of the Type III not to touch my record and flying about 3 to 4 mm due to this difference. What is missing? I think I can use longer mounting screws and adding a couple nuts underneath to fill up the gap but wonder if there are better solutions. Please help!

See the pic below so you know what I mean.

Don

Mebbe I'm to simple, but did you flip the stylus guard 'up'?

pete, beautiful cartridge, though!
Toasted, "the check is in the mail!" :D Thanks.

Hotgas

You are missing the Spacer plate. If I get a chance I will snap a pic later so you can see what it looks like.

Grumpy

Grumpy,

I think I know what you mean. Can you tell me how thick the spacer is so I can machine one out of plastic?

Don

For now this pic will have to do. I will pull it apart later and do my best to give you the specs.

Grumpy

Well, looks like I HAVE to post, despite my misgivings about it. I used BOTH the V15 Type III that I sold Hotgas (Don, is that you?),
AND the V15 Type IV I sold Bully, with original Acoustic Research XA turntable and headshells. I never required spacer plates. Are the spacer plates metal jobs with cutouts on the sides to accomodate the mounting screws? If so, I THINK I have those in my parts box, and will get them out to both customers asap. Sorry for not realizing they might have been necessary for proper operation with alternate headshells.

Okay, I just looked in my parts box and found THREE metal plates. Two are exactly alike with half round indents on either side, PLUS fully circular holes at opposite ends. The third one, only has half rounds. If these are in fact the spacer plates, I will get these out to both of you asap. Bully, I still have YOUR shipping address on file, Don I will require that you transmit me yours. Sorry guys.

Toasted Almond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom