stylus ideas - Pickering V15, med mass arm, suspended platter

neatlyfolded

Hi.

Wondering if any of you fine AKers have stylus suggestions you'd like to share with me.

Long story, short: I'm putting a system together for someone else, with listening habits somewhat different from my own. This person "listens to classical music primarily, as well as some jazz, soul, and r&b." She is a used bin and budget reissue shopper. No further specifics re listening habits are available.

Here are the components I'm working with:

1. Pickering V15 cartridge (early version)
2. Rotel RP-1000 table (stock)
3. one of the following preamps / phono stages
- Adcom GFP-555
- Audiolab 8000C
- Nakamichi CA5
- Luxman TP-117

I have some ideas for the rest of the system, but don't have them purchased yet.

Sincere thanks for any thoughts shared.

Brian

Last edited:
Thank you so much, needlestein. I've expanded my focus to the models (and sources) you've linked to here.

I personally prefer a 'light tracking' scenario, whenever and wherever possible. I can't afford to make many assumptions with this setup, unfortunately, due to listener-related unknowns. Hoping that a 2.5g VTF is the most that will be required.

Truly curious re the mixed-up world of aftermarket styli. I've somehow managed to avoid diving in previously. Thanks for helping me to prepare.

If that's the case, then the aftermarket one that I recommended will be excellent. I did some reading up on that turntable and since you have a medium mass arm, I really think it will be a good fit. 2.5g would be the max that stylus would need--probably more like 2.

Ordering one today then. Thank you again for your help, needlestein. The attention paid to arm in use is very much appreciated.

I'd like to pick up a few styli and save on shipping if possible. Any idea whether this vendor (Canadian source linked to above, and below) is good with combined shipping?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191942666554

This will be my first brush setup. I'll have quality time with the table before delivery, which should provide opportunity to dial things in.

Looking ahead: If anyone has parts tips for arm height adjustment on the RP-1000... or its non-Rotel counterparts... please feel free to chime in here.

Thanks again folks.

needlestein,

Contacting the seller, as you've suggested.

I read your Tonar #547 stylus review a couple of days ago, in fact, and with great interest.

Sincere thanks for all of this, once again. I do have one further question however:

Are the Nagoaka (ebay sale link) and Tonar (AK review link) styli essentially the same product -- ie, both components and mechanics wise?

My apologies... I'm truly in the dark when it comes to needle manufacturing and branding complexities.

Brian

Update...

Have been onto other things and NOT purchased styli for this setup yet. Good thing, because after experimenting with table / tonearm, I believe I can count on a tracking force below 2g. :)

Can anyone tell me if the 604-D7M (link below) is comparable to the 604-DEM (recommended by Needlestein for light-tracking setups)?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322460541729

Or if the DSE-1 (link below) is preferable to both, possibly?

https://www.turntableneedles.com/mobile/Pickering-DSE-1-Stylus--Our-Needle-600-DSE-1_p_1175.html

Thanks much.

Last edited:
Actually, I think I've figured it out.

For those on a similar journey... ie, searching for a high-compliance + brushless stylus, designed for use with the Pickering V15 cartridge... here's what I've arrived at.

Pickering DAM2 (604-D7M)
.7mm conical needle
2g recommended tracking force

Pickering DAME2 (604-DEM)
.2x.7mm elliptical needle
2g recommended tracking force

The above info brought Needlestein's comments + recommendations into focus for me.

Last edited:
The DE stylus that needlestein recommends in #17 above? It does fit, I have this combo. However, that's originally a T4P stylus which means it will be happiest at 1.25g VTF on a light arm. May not be the best match for your S-shaped arm.

EDIT: Actually, I see you have an early V-15. I would stay away from this stylus altogether then, it is intended for the later 20 degree bodies.

Last edited:
XV15 allows for some fancy choices though, MacNoob. Seems well worth considering if you're looking for a nice Pickering cartridge.

You are correct re my having the early edition, Bang4Buck. Thank you though! Quickly growing fascination with the Pickering stuff here.

You are correct re my having the early edition, Bang4Buck. Thank you though! Quickly growing fascination with the Pickering stuff here.
neatlyfolded, reading all this thread you started has made me grow more fascinated with the V15 cart too. A question for you about your opening statement where you described the V15 you are dealing with as early version, (if I may). How early-I mean is it 45 to 50 yrs old? How long can these last? Thanks for the beautiful thread.

If I may answer instead, yes, it could easily be 50 years old. Cartridges don't wear out, only the replaceable stylus does. So, other than mishandling or improper storage, there isn't much that can go wrong.

That said, the glue has failed on the older of the two V-15 bodies that I own, but it still works fine.

If I may answer instead, yes, it could easily be 50 years old. Cartridges don't wear out, only the replaceable stylus does. So, other than mishandling or improper storage, there isn't much that can go wrong.

That said, the glue has failed on the older of the two V-15 bodies that I own, but it still works fine.

Thanks for this. Now perhaps I can use some other of the above information to go after a new stylist-I am playing the original right now. The cart is labeled V-15/AME-3, and still plays very well.

I'm glad that you too are learning from this exchange, Stan! Needlestein and Bang4Buck know way, way, WAY more than I about these pickups. We're lucky to have their input.

Based on pics and marketing materials I've found online... FWTW... I can say that my V15 appears to be an early body style... and the attached sticker ID seems to support that. Will post a couple shots of it later today.

Many thanks...

Oh my goodness, thanks, but Joseph (needlestein) is far, far more knowledgeable than I am. As are many others here on AK.

Back
Top Bottom