Stylus or Cartridge for Sansui P-D10?

paulrudy

I just picked up a Sansui P-D10 for free from the aftermath of a yard sale. It’s going to replace my Technics SL-BD20D.

The Sansui has a QLM 36 MK III cartridge on it. I have no idea about the history of use, so I figure I should get a new stylus or cartridge before I start playing records on the Sansui.

Any suggestions? Keep the cartridge and get a stylus for it? Replace the cartridge?

I may be too late to help, but the QLM 36 Mk III was a very good cartridge, and there are still a few original styli available that will work properly in it, so it's worth trying to rehabilitate.
1.jpg specs QLM 36 Mk III.jpg
First clean the diamond on the stylus you have, and test it on a record you know but could easily replace if the worst should happen (say, a chipped diamond with sharp edges). If it doesn't sound good, my recommendation, based on personal ownership and the reports of other ADC owners on AK, would be the 4108-DET [UPDATE: no longer made in Japan] from a known-good seller. If your budget can go higher than $21, there are a few other suggestions, including a genuine QLM 36 Mk III stylus.

If you've already replaced the stylus or cartridge, let us know what you got.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom