Stylus pix before and after Mr Clean magic eraser

cyto

I usually dip the stylus into a magic eraser after each listening session. The "before" picture is after playing 3 albums that had been cleaned with a DIY ultrasonic and looked pristine. The "after" picture is after 3 or 4 dips into a piece of Magic Eraser (generic brand). Had to get my microscope out and though I would do this while I had it going. The pictures look like they do because the scope is used for viewing sampled on glass slides not solid objects, but the result still can be seen. The stylus is an Audio Technica AT440mlb.

AT440mlb%20dirty_zpst0unyzfv.jpg

After
AT440mlb%20clean_zpsgyqbiwqy.jpg

That looks like a lot more than 3 LP's. Must of been real nasty LP's. Either way I dig the great close ups.

Last edited:
I use the old ostrich ball hair (joke just ostrich hair) brush and fleeting D2 liquid (btw if anyone has a decent alternative let me know).

I have the Onzo Zerodust gel thingy. I hope it does as good a job as the magic erase. It has a built in loop, and you can see it removes large particles and dog hair and stuff, but I'd love to see it microscopically like that. I also religiously use my carbon fibre brush on everything before needle touches vinyl. I think that makes more immediate and audible improvement than anything else I have tried or use.

Maybe the OP is playing the Ultrasonic cleaned records while they are still wet? That would make the ball of gunk after only 3 records.

I clean the stylus with ME and treat with Stylast after every side. Doesn't take much time and preserves the stylus and records.

Interesting pictures. It would also be interesting to see similar pictures using a variety of cleaning methods. For several years, my practice has been to clean my records once with a Nitty Gritty machine and their Pure 2 solution, then just remember to promptly return records to their sleeves after play. The stylus gets cleaned after each side is played with the soft brush that came with a Sumiko cartridge. I don't have a microscope to examine styli myself, but when I've had them inspected by my local dealer, there has never been an issue with compacted debris or any hint of dust/dirt buildup, so this is a method that has worked well for me.

Back
Top Bottom