Subarau Outback, Ford Focus, or Pontiac Vibe, What do the owners out there think??

Bought a 2001 Focus ZTS used. Fun to drive when it's working right but..... there's always something going wrong with it. Always. Never again for me...

At the same time I bought a 1999 Chevy Cavalier. It was 1/3 the cost of the Focus, but is 3 times the car that Focus will ever be.

My yuppie daughter and her yuppie husband bought a new 2000 Focus wagon when they were starting out. 8 years later it was totaled and they looked for and bought.....another 2000 Focus wagon. And by this time they were both doing quite well and could afford damned near any car, if they were into cars.

I bought my hipster daughter a new Focus in 2002; she's still driving it around Bucktown with no problems, just maintainence.

I recently bought a 2012 Focus and love the damned thing. Why it even parallel parks itself! And talks to me. Black SEL with tan leather interior, very sharp. Great stereo.

focus013.jpg

focus006.jpg

Wow, that is a nice interior, a lot better then the previous generations of Focus's.

While I find the self parking feature "neat", it just dumbs down drivers further. C'mon people, put down the phone and learn some driving skills (Not aimed at anyone in particular, just ranting in general.)

Almost as bad as "dumb" gauges that only move is there is extreme oil pressure loss as to not freak dumb drivers out when the gauge (pressure) fluctuates with RPM and temperature,like it normally does. Ford started that one years ago. I just want a freakin working "real" oil pressure gauge, at least my '05 Nissan truck has one, but they too started using a dumb gauge later on as well.

Sorry, got off topic.

hey-Hey!!!,
Focus, 2008 to 2011. If you get a manual, get an SE; SEL( or was it SES?) got a shorter final drive. The auto's are all the same and work quite well. I am looking at a new Focus. The new engine is direct injected. The 5 speed has the same FDR as the earlier top-line and I'll re-gear it with the SE's parts. No interest in the new dual clutch thingie....though if I could get it with the older auto I could live with it quite comfortably...:)
cheers,
Douglas

I just replaced my 2010 Legacy with a Premium 2012, the 2010 was awesome with the CVT tranny, on trips to Ohio I could set the cruise at 69mph and break 39MPG over hundreds of miles, 18.5 gallon tank gave good range. I had planned to buy the 2010 at lease end but the market for used cars is so hot it was called in 15 months early, amazing how the Subies hold their value!! :D Now I have the car, my 7th, made in Indiana, and there's no snow!! :tears:

The 2012;
2012_Subaru_Legacy_01.jpg

Nice car Dave.
I'll remember to look at it in 2020 or so when I can afford it :D

cool ... are you going to have a "sending off" ceremony for the Explorer? :)

Nice car Dave.
I'll remember to look at it in 2020 or so when I can afford it :D

Actually pretty inexpensive, 15k/3yr with 3yr/36k Added Security maintenance plan for two and a half bills a month, I had a bunch of coupons to redeem and the 2010 trade-in was lucrative, $12k residual after 3 yrs makes it a good buy at the end of lease for a 24k vehicle. :sigh:

Not too bad, but I pay cash, don't buy collision insurance, and drive them until they die. Actually, it will pay for itself in gas savings in a couple of years vs. the 16 mpg my current ride gets.

Cool ... are you going to have a "sending off" ceremony for the Explorer? :)

Not yet, we'll keep it as a 3rd or spare. Our third car died dead in it's tracks last September, and we've been doing OK with 2 but there's been times it's been dicey. Besides, I would like to roll 200K on her before she goes, and shes only 5K away

I'll keep her patched together with more bubble gum and chicken wire until something too expensive to mess with goes and then send her off on a flaming Viking pyre into Lake St. Clair :D

Last edited:
The deal is done. 2003 Focus SEL wagon, pretty much bare bones but with the Blaupunkt CD/Radio and newer brakes, tires and struts. Body looks great for a Michigan car with only one smallish area of rust bubbles I found. Rides well, enough power for me, and should do great with gas. An OK ride, but that's all I want and fine by me; cars never have been a big deal for me. 115,000 miles and about $500-700 less than the other ones I was looking at, and about half of what my top amount to spend was, I'm pretty pleased right now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• focus.jpg
    focus.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 540
  • focus2.jpg
    focus2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 106
Please tell me there's a 5-speed in there. I wouldn't hesitate to get one just like that myself.
Tom

I have a 2007 Focus Wagon that I bought two years ago, and now has 135,000. I get 29-32 MPG(automatic). It's fun to drive..They handle VERY well because of a 4 wheel independent suspension, which the Vibe and Matrix do not have. I did have some wiring problems with the tailgate, ...and ignition switch/shift lever interlock. I fixed them both...but they were tricky/weird...and I was a master mechanic in my previous life. I recommend using Mobil 1 motor oil and transmission oil....and don't forget to flush the cooling system if it hasn't been done in 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Please tell me there's a 5-speed in there. I wouldn't hesitate to get one just like that myself.
Tom

Nope, it's the 4SP automatic, which is fine as I'm the only accomplished manual driver here. I've put about 150 miles on it so far as I didn't get it titled until Thursday afternoon, but so far so good.

It's a way different ride that the 4WD Explorer, but not bad. Crisper handling, lower ride, less power and not as plush/heavy, but 90% of my driving is alone and without a load, so why pay for all the room not being used? It handles actually better in the snow as the FWD pulls well and the tires grip better than the greasy Michelins on the Explorer. And the ABS works too.

The radio is nasty compared to the Explorers Alpine/Infinity sweetness and is getting upgraded as soon as the weather breaks, and since this is an SE it lacks cruise control, tilt wheel and remote door locks, but i can live w/o them. I'm looking probably at 25 mpg, which is a HUGE improvement over the 15 the Explorer was running since November.

FWIW, I was wondering a couple times while driving it recently, why doesn't Ford make a convertible Focus? Seems like driving one would be a hoot, but maybe there's no where to go with the hardware :dunno:

1st tank of gas yielded 26.6 mpg. The last fill on the Explorer got 15.2.
I'm smilin' :yes:

1st tank of gas yielded 26.6 mpg. The last fill on the Explorer got 15.2.
I'm smilin' :yes:

It will only get better with warmer temps coming, and the elimination of the piss water EPA gas (winter blend) we're stuck buying at this time of the year. My city/highway right now with 1,000 miles on the clock is 28.8 on the 2012 Legacy but was usually around 33 in the summer with the 2010 Legacy I had, the CVT tranny is very efficient, my personal best is 39.3 over hundreds of miles in the speed trap state (OH). I'd expect another 3 - 5 mpg very soon!! :thmbsp:

Only thing I dislike about the new Focuses is dropping the Wagons. Which are very handy for thrifty hauling (great too for part time wheelchair users)

I bought my daughter an 04 Focus hatchback over a year and a half ago and I think it's a great car for the lowish price. We've had only one problem, rain water leaking onto the passenger side floor thru the vent/heat system... a known problem and not too hard to fix. Also I have a feeling we're going to find out how much an exhaust system costs before the year is out (they're not cheap)

Note, if your wagon has the 2.0, it has a timing belt; 2.3 has a chain. According to Haynes, they all have chains beginning in 05.

Daughter has run the odometer up from 95,000 to 127,000 already. I'm hoping for four more years of use.

Congratulations on the Focus buy! One recommendation: that 12"-ish conical tube that sits on top of the radiator with all the cooling lines going to it? Keep a spare in the garage. They crack with frightening regularity. You can avoid the dealer price by going aftermarket. Four Seasons makes one, part # 85330. Easily a third of the cost of the Motorcraft one.

Back
Top Bottom