Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Aerial SW12 sub

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Sonus Faber Sub

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, Make a suggestion

Votes: 32 46.4%

• Total voters
Both are rated Stereophile Class A for good reason. They are two of the finest sounding subs on the market today. While there are many other ported subs that best them in output or extension, very few are their equal for sheer musicality and sound quality. There are nuances of difference between the two subs with the FL having more output but slightly higher THD than the Velo.

When I say both sound quite close sonically, I'm comparing both subs similarly equalized with an SMS controlling the Fathom to put them on a more equal footing. However, when I compare the Fathom equalized only with its ARO function against the DD-18 with its built in equalization, the nod would go to the DD-18 for music but not by much. For HT it would go to the Fathom because of its much higher output especially in the low-mid bass.

The servo control feature is a neat way to control distortion on the DD-18 which I usually leave at its 8 setting for lowest distortion though lower output. If I listen very closely with repeated material, occasionally I hear a difference at the 8 setting but its tough to say. At the 1 servo setting on the Velo though, I'd say the Fathom might be preferable. I doubt there is any sub with lower distortion than the DD-18 at Servo 8 setting though that comes at the cost of output. But I'm splitting hairs in that what slightly more distortion there is in the Fathom is second order which as most tube fans know sounds quite pleasant and natural.

As far as which one is tighter or has better attack and decay, again it depends on where I have the servo setting on the DD. If I set it a max it favours the DD but the cost of output starts to swing things in favour of the Fathom with its massive 2500W amp.

As you can tell I couldn't decide which of these fabulous subs sounded best overall so I bought a pair of each. :scratch2:

First off, fantastic decision making on choosing both!
I am currently trying to choose between the two (and only one, :boring:) and I'm leaning towards the JL. Your review tells me I really can't go wrong! I guess one factor is the smaller size for easier (and better) placement.

It will be hard to let go of my 16 year old ULD-15 though....

Now I really do like like The McIntosh Platinum System for music, and my feeling right now is there are only few other systems that are in the same category. Quite a few Audio Manufacterers design music systems that really double as audo for home theater. True Home theater sound is another talk show all together. Needless to say, many audiophiles are confused about True Home Theater sound the same way media rooms are confused for Home Theater. True Theater Sound, is where many systems fail, and this again is because some start out with the wrong concept. All things being equal (the resources, the room that will house the Theater present no challenge) placing high quality subs beneath or behind the screen should be given prime consideration. That being said, imagine what the case would be if McIntosh offered The Xrt Towers w/ Mids & tweeters in the same vertical array (and configurable as to their cut-off) then offered as an option, (3 or 4) seperate front firing 21" guns (Subs) that would fit either beneath, or behind the screen eliminating the (6) Subs built into the Tower.

A Mc dealer once told me (after giving The Line many accalades), Mcintosh usually builds their subs into most of their Speakers almost eliminating the need for separate sub, but in is opinion separate subs were preferable. He went on to say they offered more articulation, and deeper bass response. At the time he had on his Showroom floor The Mc XR-290'S. IMHO there wouldn't be much McIntosh would have to do to turn their current Platinum Speaker System into a top-notch Home Theater System, offering both Systems. One for True Home Theater, and one for music. Some change might have to be made to width of the center Channel speaker.

Of all the Home Theater Systems I have heard, "Theater in the Round" with all high quality drivers has been the best approach almost guaranteeing no dead spots and doing the center channel dialogue much justice. This is my .02.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom