Subwoofer chuffing

jdub071

I have been using a small Pioneer Andrew Jones eight inch subwoofer and have noticed chuffing whenever I turn it up even a little way. So I stuffed the port with a sock and it eliminates the chuffing. My question is:Does this interfere with amplifier ventilation as I can't see any other way for this down firing sub to get air.

Ventilation (heat dissipation) usually happens at the heat sinks of the plate amp. What it will effect is the efficiency and frequency response. The port reinforces the output and reduces back-pressure making the speaker more efficient than a closed system. Check out the different configurations for subs on the SVS site. There better subs have ratings ported and with ports stuffed.

I have been using a small Pioneer Andrew Jones eight inch subwoofer and have noticed chuffing whenever I turn it up even a little way. So I stuffed the port with a sock and it eliminates the chuffing. My question is:Does this interfere with amplifier ventilation as I can't see any other way for this down firing sub to get air.

Are you using it for 2 channel music or HT? If for music a sub should blend seamlessly, meaning the presence of the sub should not be obvious, so dial it down until it blends. If this is for HT an 8 inch sub is really too small for most rooms, so if you're having to turn it up to get boom and rumble that means you need a bigger sub.

Hav'nt made a big study on subs and frequency response just usually adjust till it sounds good to my ears--just know that to keep them from chuffing on really low passages I don't get much improvement over my B&W 602 S2's which go down to about 52 Hz. Just know that chuffing sound is very annoying.

Actually I'm using it with onkyo tx606 my two 602's and an LCR6 center speaker, flatscreen, smart blu-ray player, old onkyo cd changer and audio-technica atpl 120 turntable w/nagoaka mp mm110 cartridge and pro-ject phono preamp. My jack of all trades smallish living roomsystem which is kind of L shaped.

many of the smaller subs sold today aren't actually sub-anything. sub woofer used to mean freqs below 32hz. the idea for music listening is as stated, to turn it up only enough to support music when low bass comes along. if this is not enough for you, you will need a bigger sub with greater capabilities.

I'm surprised that a professionally designed and manufactured subwoofer would get out the door with the chuffing. Jones and his buds must've been a little liquored up when they were auditioning the prototype in his garage, and no one had the presence of mind to say, "Jeez Andy, do you think we should put a bigger port in that thing before Pioneer cranks out a few thousand for you? Not to mention, some guy's going to be walking around minus a sock at some point...."

I'm surprised that a professionally designed and manufactured subwoofer would get out the door with the chuffing. Jones and his buds must've been a little liquored up when they were auditioning the prototype in his garage, and no one had the presence of mind to say, "Jeez Andy, do you think we should put a bigger port in that thing before Pioneer cranks out a few thousand for you? Not to mention, some guy's going to be walking around minus a sock at some point...."

It's a budget sub and like the matching speakers compromises had to be made. Those bookies were nothing to write home about despite all the hype.

Got any low budget recommendations as I'm a Sr. living on fixed income.

Yes, indeed. If it sounds ok with the sock in the port, just leave the sock in the port. If your amp is cooled by external cooling fins (or, none at all), you should be fine. One other trick that might work is to glue a piece of fiberglass screen (as used on window screens) over the port (inside or out), which will disrupt the airflow pattern.

In the end, though, the others are right: that sub is an economy model with minimum everything. Because I'm in the limited income bracket like you, I always look for cheap solutions. The most obvious one is closely watching your local Goodwill-type store. Decent-quality subs tend to show up regularly for skinny dollars.

GeeDeeEmm

Back
Top Bottom