Subwoofer homework & suggestions based on owners experiences (to supplement the SMG's)

And... and.... how does it sound?
Sounds fabulous! I commented above, but yeah, this thing reaches very deep, it's got two passive radiators, one each side, with the 8 inch forward facing subwoofer. The surrounds are huge and beefy. Heavy little bugger. It adds another dimension and mates really well with the SMG's dimensionality. Makes the listening space seem much larger. A big improvement over the Optimus Pro 12 passive sub, which sounded very good. I had it playing for a little over a hour at decent volume, and the plate amp wasn't even warm, a good sign I hope with so many sub plate amps failing.

Last edited:
Sounds fabulous! I commented above, but yeah, this thing reaches very deep, it's got two passive radiators, one each side, with the 8 inch forward facing subwoofer. The surrounds are huge and beefy. Heavy little bugger. It adds another dimension and mates really well with the SMG's dimensionality. Makes the listening space seem much larger. A big improvement over the Optimus Pro 12 passive sub, which sounded very good. I had it playing for a little over a hour at decent volume, and the plate amp wasn't even warm, a good sigh I hope with so many sub plate amps failing.

If the plate amp dies you pay ~$200 for a 600+ watt pro amp and you're done. Forever.

I've spent the week listening and dialing in this sub. The synergy with the SMGs is perfect. I've had several opportunities to demo the setup, and everyone is in awe, as am I! My neighbor who heard the setup last week told me today he hasn't been able to get the SMGs out of his head and is trying to figure out how to rework his living room set up so he can buy a set.
I'm with him, the Maggie's are hugely addictive, and the Supercube is a terrific smaller sub that adds so much to the depth of the music.
All of the recommended subs seem like excellent candidates, and the Supercube is one more to add to the list.
Glenn

I have a Klipsch RW-12II Powered Subwoofer. I am a Polk Audio fan but not of their subwoofers. When called on to do so my Klipsch can cause earthquakes. The RW-12II has been discontinued. Checkout the current lineup of Klipsch subwoofers.
https://www.klipsch.com/subwoofers

I have a Klipsch RW-12II Powered Subwoofer. I am a Polk Audio fan but not of their subwoofers. When called on to do so my Klipsch can cause earthquakes. The RW-12II has been discontinued. Checkout the current lineup of Klipsch subwoofers.
https://www.klipsch.com/subwoofers
Thanks for the info trams!
I needed a sealed sub to mate with the SMGs. I looked at some of the Klipsch subs, and had one to test for a week but it wasn't the right match. It went very deep though.

Thanks for the info trams!
I needed a sealed sub to mate with the SMGs. I looked at some of the Klipsch subs, and had one to test for a week but it wasn't the right match. It went very deep though.
The Dayton Sudwoofers would then be my first choice. An LFE system from a modern AVR is really what you need to make the best use of such monsters. My philosophy on Sudwoofer is you should only know it is there when it isn't working.

Check out this one. A pair of coe-firing 12" drivers in an acoustic suspended system. One of the reviews said a father came home to find his son had this monster cranked all of the way up and the whole house was throbbing, and the door knocker on the front door was bouncing. If you like large church organs this is the sort of Sudwoofer you need.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...t-dual-12-subwoofer-system-assembled--300-767

Last edited:
The Dayton Sudwoofers would then be my first choice. An LFE system from a modern AVR is really what you need to make the best use of such monsters. My philosophy on Sudwoofer is you should only know it is there when it isn't working.

Check out this one. A pair of coe-firing 12" drivers in an acoustic suspended system. One of the reviews said a father came home to find his son had this monster cranked all of the way up and the whole house was throbbing, and the door knocker on the front door was bouncing. If you like large church organs this is the sort of Sudwoofer you need.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...t-dual-12-subwoofer-system-assembled--300-767
If I ever need something larger, I'd take a look and consider this one. Thanks for the link!
Cheers, Glenn

Back
Top Bottom