Subwoofer no sound - quick question

Maximillius

First off hi guys, the names Max and I've been a mechanic / diyer for about 10 years with a little car audio here and there. I know enough to install and wire full systems, but have never rebuilt a sub.

My question -

Recently I picked up 2 JL Audio W3 12" subs for dirt cheap ( 29$? Lmfao) at a local pawn shop that didn't know what they had.

Model 12w3v3-4, dual voice coil

One sub is fully functional, the other is blown producing NO SOUND. When you push down evenly on the sub it's semi loose and feels/sounds scratchy. I attached a pic -

So upon further inspection I found that the cone is actually unglued / disconnected from the spider/voice coil area, and if you lift up or press out you can see it's fully disconnected with a big gap between the two.

So - would this cause absolutely no sound seeing as how it's fully apart? Is this fixable? It seems like you should just be able to reglue it properly, I know it has to be aligned correctly ect.

Would be amazing if I could get this one up and running with the other one! Thank you in advance for any help!

Attachments

• 2017-11-30 09.36.09.jpg
    2017-11-30 09.36.09.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 20
Greetings and welcome Max;
Are you referring to the Yellowish 'spyder' below your finger.. appears to have an air gap? Yes it needs to be reglued.. assuming you get ohms across the voice coil and that's no blown.
bink

Greetings and welcome Max;
Are you referring to the Yellowish 'spyder' below your finger.. appears to have an air gap? Yes it needs to be reglued.. assuming you get ohms across the voice coil and that's no blown.
bink

Yes right below my finger in the picture - I'm pressing upwards on the sub to flex it outward. It's detached completely all the way around.

So even with that fully broken loose I should still be getting an ohm reading at the terminals? I was getting nothing.... other working sub showed the correct 4 ohms.

Correct if the voice coil was intact. Probably the spider broke loose and the coil was sitting stationary and burned out. Unfortunately I don't know about this driver, dis assembly or where coil is available.

Back
Top Bottom