Subwoofer(s) for QUAD ESL-63

355f1

I am looking for owners who have successfully integrated their QUAD ESL 63s with a subwoofer(s).

I have had several pairs of ESL 63s. I bought my first pair in the UK in 1982, sold them later and in 1987 I bought my second pair from the same dealer, later sold them too. When I did not have the QUADs I used monkey boxes such as B&W DM6, Tannoy Silver and Red, kits from Falcon Acoustics, Mission 770, Proac, Goldmund Dialogue, Aerial 10T, etc. but the 63s are very hard to live without when you know what they can do. Therefore, I recently bought a used pair and had them rebuilt, panels and electronics.

My problem is that I am particularly fond of large-scale symphonic works such as Wagner’s The Ring , Beethoven, Mahler, Strauss, etc. but the 63s are very special and very frustrating used full range, they have limited bass and dynamics. I think that crossing them over to a sub, maybe at 80 Hz or whereabouts, will probably get rid of some of the frustrations, although dynamic headroom limitations at higher frequencies will continue to intrude from time to time.

QUAD made some subs such as the LT88, LT66 and 102 but I am retired now, with a fixed income and cannot afford to spend money to make experiments. That's why I would like to get in touch with owners who obtained optimal results using a subwoofer.

Gradient W63, Janis W-1, ENTEC and Velodyne are hard to find and very expensive, some are in so so condition.

I have a pair of Decca ribbons and also would like to integrate them with the QUADs, "a la Mark Levinson HQD" but this will be an almost impossible task without modifications.

Best regards,

Horacio

Don't own Quads, but just wanted to remind you that reproduction of those very low frequencies is highly room dependent. That is, regardless of what others have done, you will be forced to spend considerable time adjusting any sub to match your speakers in your room.

So the key to getting a good match, is to buy a sub that gives you the best adjustment options given your amplifier.

So how do you power your Quads?

Regards,
Jerry

Thanks for your input. I am using and Electrocompaniet AW-100 [125W/CH] and also have a 405-2 recently upgraded.

This is a large home. Unfortunately, the family room is the only place where I can accommodate the QUADs and it is far from ideal.

Cheers,

Horacio

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I am using and Electrocompaniet AW-100 [125W/CH] and also have a 405-2 recently upgraded.

Cheers,
Horacio

Horacio, since you obviously have a pre-amp, you might consider this sub:

https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-1000

I like this sub because:

1. It's a sealed box (aka acoustic suspension) and thus provides very low distortion bass (SVS also sells ported subs, but they work better in home theater systems where movie sound tracks predominate)

2. You can route the output from your pre-amp to the sub and then from the sub to your Electrocompaniet AW-100 with the frequencies below 80Hz stripped out. This completely eliminates these frequencies from the Quads. The theory is do NOT send frequencies to speakers that they can't handle well.

3. The sub has a variable phase control that allows you to blend the output with your Quads.

Hope this helps...
Regards,
Jerry

Last edited:
I have 57s, and run them with subwoofers - two mid-priced Hsu STF-2s, one behind each main speaker. I run the Quads full range, and use the speaker-level inputs, with the subwoofer's low-pass crossover set down low, at 45 Hz or so.

It sounds like one of your goals is more volume, so I'm not sure how well my setup would work for you, because I rarely exceed 85 dBA peaks. I can tell you that my subwoofers blend in magnificently, and do not affect the Quad's mid-bass clarity. They just add a bit down low, right where the Quads run out.

I am lucky to have an irregularly-shaped room, with a sloping ceiling, in an open floor plan, so I don't have many low-frequency complications to deal with - no peaks, troughs, standing waves, or boominess.

Hope this helps a little. :)

Anyone have plans or specs for the Gradient SW63.. I would like to make a dipole subwoofer which also doubles as stands for the speakers.

You may want to resort to the Levinson solution. That is, two pair stacked with a Janis subwoofer. This combination has dynamics, slam and volume to beat the band. You might even add a pair of ribbon tweeters. Even one pair and a sub would IMO be audibly beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom