1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

subwoofer- silk sows ear purse? KEF 105.4 small mouth bass?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Monad, Oct 13, 2018 at 1:58 PM.

1. Monad

Monad AK Subscriber Subscriber

So after a struggle, several months of complaining to friends here and online, I think I've sorted out my KEF 105.4 speaker issues.

All it took was new Falcon caps and 2 NOS tweeters and I finally understand what I was missing..they sound good now but not awesome because,

imo--> the bass is lacking to nonexistent.

I get it, the .4 model has two smaller speakers, where the 105.2 only had one larger one and the 107s are more bassful from the git but now that I'm here, with approx $900 into the 105.4s and stubborn..WTD?

I'm looking at subwoofers to fill the hole.. have thought about adding other speakers. I saw a guy on the webs, if you can believe it, with a picture too, where he was running 105.4 up front with the 104.2 in back.. probably a sub in there somewhere but..I don't recall.

I'm about to say eff it, use the KEFs for jazz.. easy play stuff and get some 70-80s kick out the jams speakers (JBL L, Klipsch Cornwallish, Kappa 8..) for everything else.

other-Question- could it be my amp that just doesn't do it for the KEFs?

System- PC/ turntable, ModiM, Freya pre, Bose 1800 Series VI (a white labeled carver PM1400- 350wpc into 8ohms).

Please register to disable this ad.

2. willyrover

willyrover Super Member

I use two subwoofers with my KEF 105.2s and the amplifier is definitely not lacking. (WOPL 700B)

Consider using subwoofers not to increase bass, but to extend the bass. The trick is setting them up so that you don't know they are there...until you turn them off.

Wildcat, Monad and darkblue94 like this.
  3. ultumax

ultumax Well-Known Member

These speakers look high end but maybe lack the size to produce lots of bass. What’s the frequency response? Ratings.
    BBetter receivers blend the bass seamlessly, what subwoofer are you getting?
    My cheap klipsch floor standing do plenty of bass the sub I need for movie effect tho.
    Different sub brand klipsch are too boomy for my tastes.

4. Monad

I haven't figured out which sub(s) to get. I only want the sub for music. I don't play movies on this system.

I was hoping to get some suggestions, bang v buck, based on current set up and as willyrover accurately restated, to 'extend the bass' of the KEFs

Right now, I'd like to go as bang v buck, as possible for one or two subs. ;D

Current CLIST options under consideration:

Definitive Technology- 2 models
    DT003 250W- $160,
    Supercube SC2000- $210

Energy EPS-100 $70

Dayton Sub-1200 (2 of them, $110 each)

SVS 23-90 cylinder, with Dayton HSPA1000 amp- $300

Picowrecker DIY Home Theater Tapped Horn Subwoofers (2)- $300-- would I still need separate sub amp (?).

The difference between $220 and $300 isn't as much of an issue, but if spending $70 gets me 70% percent to the SVS or Dayton level, then it may be better for now.

:D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 4:17 PM
  5. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Get two of the Dayton Sub 1200's, great bang for the buck, and they make great speaker stands too lol. These are the older model I purchased about 5yrs ago, still rocking as new.

Screenshot_20180801-185827.png

I've used them with a pair of Klipsch Heresys also as speaker stands to great effect.

JoeESP9 and Monad like this.
  6. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

Would be interesting to know how the bass drivers are loaded in that speaker. My 104.2's have 2 x 8" drivers - you wouldnt think you'd get much bass but the 4th order bandpass ensures that they kick sheer arse, even when the speakers are just idling.

7. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

If those Daytons you mentioned are on Craigslist for $110 each, keep in mind new from Parts Express they can be had for $148 with a full warranty.

Screenshot_20181013-003927.png

8. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Boerboelicious Subscriber

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 2:28 PM
  9. Monad

thank you AF, read some good reviews on velodyne models, now its just justifying the added cost, without hearing both.

good point on the Dayton new price as well..even though shipping is just $7.00, the 'lifetime' tech support and 5 year warranty is hard to beat.. it doesn't seem like they are many issues reported in the reviews section.

10. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

As I said, five yrs and still rocking the casbah.

11. Monad

12. ultumax

13. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

That looks like transmission line construction. Transmission lines usually are 1/4 as long as the wavelength of the resonant frequency of the speaker.
    Nothing amplifies bass wave size except an amplifier.
    Here is a link to the explanation on Wikipedia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line_loudspeaker

FWIW: I have two DIY 12" TL subs.

ultumax and Monad like this.
  14. ultumax

Looks epic and hard to build , too bad no brands make them at an affordable rate .
    do movie theaters use something like this ?
    Max spl I bet !!! Nice how lots it take to build them yourself?

15. baco99

baco99 AK Subscriber Subscriber

105.4 should produce plenty of bass. check the polarity of your woofers.

16. Hawkeye83

Hawkeye83 Super Member

Yep, and for gosh sakes playing something that's got TONS of bass, just to be sure...rap, hip-hop, electronica, whatever. Make sure it has gobs of bass and see if the bass comes through then. For example, my KEF 107's are capable of producing tons of bass, but they absolutely will not "exaggerate" any bass that's not there. Some recordings can sound light on bass, but it's because that's how they were recorded/produced. Sometimes it can be frustrating, but I think it's just what an accurate speaker "does." I quickly remind myself that the bass is "okay" (more than okay) by playing some bass-heavy tracks.

17. ultumax

Is it a music or theater sub? If music you want something that can be fast and accurate!
    My theater sub is overpowering for music , talk super bass . I like it but it’s a little overkill!!
    Floor standers should produce good bass . Also

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018 at 11:51 PM