SpaceFunk

Hey all,

I recently got a clean pair of Energy Pro 22's and hooked them up in my living room.
They sound great!

I was wondering what subwoofer would match up well with these in a small room?
These are doubling as both my music/theater rig.

My living room is 12' x 20'
Split level; open floor plan. No wall on one side with stairs to the next floor.

I was looking at an M&K VX-7 on CL but I'm not sure it will have much more extension than the Energy's.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Energy makes an XL and ES series, the 12" would be ample. You can find them used for reasonable prices, and they perform quite well.

I will keep an eye out for any of those Energy subs. There are a couple Energy ESW-C8's on CL now but i would like to go 10in or bigger. The S12.3 looks really beastly.

However, I'm not dead set on only Energy subs (even though they look awesome). Any other brands/models that would pair up well?

No Energy subs came up on the local CL in the past few weeks.

I did see a Mirage BPS-150i for $150.
Do y'all think this sub would be enough for the space and/or blend nicely?

not sure about the mirage BPS line but the mirage omni line is exactly the name as energy's es line. the omni s10 = s10.3 the driver and enclosure are the same, possible the plate amps are different.

I own a omni s10 I picked it up for $100 new in box great sub- I just outgrew it

don't hessitate to DIY with a dayton 15" subwoofer. If you can build the box yourself you save a lot of money and they will outperform most prebuilt subs easily.

So i ended up getting a Velodyne VA-1512 that has an upgraded driver from a Velodyne F-1200 for $125. :thumbsup:
Sounds pretty great!

I actually have the subwoofer placed on the split level above my listening area. It sounds pretty good but has some minor localization issues (40Hz x-over).
Would multiple subs help remove this localization?

If you're having localization issues with a crossover frequency of 40Hz the sub is most likely way to loud. OTOH there are definitely other issues such as, it being on another level.

When you can hear and localize a subwoofer it's almost always much too loud. Ideally the only time you should hear a sub is if you turn it off. The absence of extreme low frequencies should be obvious. However, when it's on, you or anyone else should not be able to hear/know you have a subwoofer.

Last edited:
I think your right.
I have noticed the sound does not seem that localized, its more that i feel the sound pressure on one side (subwoofer side) more in my ear.
I'll try turning it down tonight and see if that helps.

Is having the sub on the other level considered bad?
I tried to do some reading on this but came up with very little.

It seems like it "loads" the room less I've noticed.
Maybe not exciting as many room modes as a corner placement?

Reporting back:
Turning down the subwoofer did indeed help with localization.

I also found that i could raise the crossover to around 60-80 HZs without localization.
Still fine tuning..

Is there a frequency graph for the Energy 22s somewhere?
I was trying to get the sub kicking in where the Energies start rolling off (Seems pretty low, but higher than 60Hzs?)

If anyone has it Energy should be able to supply you with a frequency response curve. Finding the -3dB point of the mains is important for adjusting a subwoofer's crossover frequency. Of course you can always experiment and tweak. Eventually you'll get things to where you're satisfied. However, that may take a while. Don't despair, even when you have access to the frequency response curve, specialized software and a measurement microphone it may still take a month or so to get things sounding the way you want. Ask me how I know?

I asked Klipsch Group (Energy) if they had the frequency response graph or manual and they said "Unfortunately, we do not publish that information."
I'm not sure if they don't have it or they aren't telling me.

Either way,
Any other Energy Pro 22 users care to share your sub-woofer crossover settings?
Mine is currently set at 60 Hz, 70 degrees Phase but that is probably more room dependent.

That's a good place to start.

Get the phase first by setting for maximum level. Then set levels using music. Lastly work on the crossover frequency.

Tweak as necessary.

A calibrated microphone and REW can make this endeavor a little easier.

So ironically, I ended up getting an M&K VX-7 MK II (mentioned at the beginning of this thread) and a Polk center channel both for $20. My system is now officially 3.2.

I placed the M&K on the floor with my mains. This really seemed to even out the bass response and helped with the localization issues. I also had noticed the Velodyne was creating a standing wave at the main listening position. I moved it forward about 3 feet, with the help of this 3D room mode calculator/visualizer.

Room Mode Calculator
(w/ my room for reference)

Messing with the room/placement has really got me interested in doing some more room acoustics tweaking. The M&K is behind James Brown. Sounding good!

Last edited:
Quick Update:

I, once again, have reorganized my layout.
The dual sub setup helps even the response across the room for sure. (Energy users, don't be afraid to have two subs).

Placed the subs mid-wall across the room.
See the attached image.

However, the Energys seem to be acting like subwoofer as well.
I have been trying to tame a 50-60Hz peak in the room.

The mid wall subs helped reduce boom, but i am still getting some frequency peaks due to the listening position near the wall.
I will most likely start a new thread in Listening Spaces.

Thanks for all the advice people!

SystemLayout.png

Back
Top Bottom