Suckface lives! Repaired my Luxman RX-101

Fasterdamnit

Found it at the local flee market for $30. Always wanted one of these ice cube buttoned, moving panel receivers. As I said before, I like the gizmo factor almost as much as the music reproduction ability. It is a little crusty so I decided it would be great in the garage. Everything worked except the suckface. I finally ordered a new belt and got a chance to dive in this afternoon. It became obvious this unit was not a virgin as screws were mismatched, the servo motor had one lead cut, and there a few ugly solder joints (more like blobs). After getting it all back together, screws sorted out and/or replaced, I give it a whirl. No joy. It would not move at power on, but just nudge a little bit when turni8ng off. Three of the poor solder joints were on the position switch for the drive cam for suckface. I said to myself- "Overlord of the Galaxy, I bet the previous 'tech' swapped the leads on that switch." I found the service manual, and sure enough, the normally open lead was swapped with the normally closed. Made the change, was disappointed in my own not-so-perfect solder technique, and tried again. Eureka! The panel moves in and out just as advertised. Hooked it back up to the JBL 62's and it sounds great! Think I have a pic.

Video is uploading...

picture.php

I need to get a decent camera

No purpose as far as the reproduction of music is concerned. Luxman marketed it as a way to prevent other fingers form changing your settings while the system is off. It was really just a gimmick that looked neat. This era of Luxman was more about marketing as "Ultimate Stereo Fidelity" than actually building high end components. Their Duo Beta circuit does have a mellower sound than a lot of other solid state amplifiers.

Not that I am hoping you can't enjoy that nobby feature, but I've tied more of those panels back than I can count.

If your autorecess panel still works--enjoy!

Not that I am hoping you can't enjoy that nobby feature, but I've tied more of those panels back than I can count.

If your autorecess panel still works--enjoy!

Why tie it back when you can repair it? I did. Took about an hour. If it's broke, fix it!!

:smoke:

I would like to try the linear TT, but so far have yet to see a PX-101 I could afford. Also would like the KX-102 cassette deck.

Love the gizmo!

Garage refrigerators, now...they cost a fortune to run in summer, and I hope to ghod you don't try to run it in winter....

I would like to try the linear TT, but so far have yet to see a PX-101 I could afford. Also would like the KX-102 cassette deck.

I picked up a RX-103 for $10, KX-102 for $5 and a PX-101 for $10 at a garage sale a couple years ago. All in VERY nice cosmetic shape -just needing some belts for the TT and for the suckface feature.

I may have to hit you up on the suckface repair in the future.

I also picked up a RX-102 from a different garage sale for $7. I gave him a $10 and he didn't have change at that time -so I let him keep the change. ;)

I tore that one apart and was able to see where the little belt goes -I think I ruined the suckface sensor switch -wondering if that was the problem, but I was able to get it all back together -so I'm confident I can make the repair myself.

j

That switch is a delicate one. But I am sure you can find a microswitch that can be fitted that will work. I think I need to start hitting the local garage sales!

Hit me up anytime.

Back
Top Bottom