Sucky tuners!

jerryjg

The late 80's and 90's were resplendent with the worst sounding most awfull componont tuners ever made. Almost hundreds of these lightweight atrocious sounding and horrible performiong gear. The worst i could ever find was the realsitic Minii-tuner, but the others were not far behind.

jerryjg said:
The late 80's and 90's were resplendent with the worst sounding most awfull componont tuners ever made. Almost hundreds of these lightweight atrocious sounding and horrible performiong gear. The worst i could ever find was the realsitic Minii-tuner, but the others were not far behind.

Tell me about it.
I bought a BPC Sony ST-S370 digital tuner in the 90´s, which was getting very good reviews as a mid-priced tuner then.
No wonder I stopped listening to radio soon after. :scratch2:
Only recently, trying to revive my interest in FM listening ( mostly due to age induced lazyness, I suppose ), I got it out of the box again and compared it to the tuner section of an old Pioneer SX-650 receiver.
I was in shock. The Pioneer just beat the crap out of it, despite being a BOTL receiver, I believe.
So, I returned the SX-650 to the friend I had borrowed it from, and went looking for a cheap but decent analog tuner.
I´m listening to it right now ( Onkyo T-5000 ) and enjoying it tremendously. :thmbsp:
Jorge

It may not be necessary to stop the :thumbsdn: at "the 90s". My new Onkyo HT receiver's tuner section seems to be sensitive enough, but selectivity is quite poor. If I were living in a metro area I suspect it would be unusable.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom