Sudden Problem with Static Charge After Playing Records (after moving TT)

Port Entropy

I just had an issue arise of a strong static charge on records after playing. If I put my arm with in a couple inches of the album, it makes the hairs stand on end.

I have had a few issues with static before (mostly from cleaning), but nothing like this. It is definitely not a humidity issue as my climate is humid in the summer and we just had rain. My thermostat is currently showing 45% humidity in the house.

I did just move my turntable before this issue started. I recently got a new TT, a Dual 1009 SK2 and I had it temporarily sitting on a stand in front of and below the receiver while I had my Thorens TD 166 on it's wall-mounted shelf above the receiver. I kept both TTs positioned like that for about a week so I could listen to both and decide which I wanted to use for this system. I didn't have any static issues.

Yesterday, I decided that I wanted to use the Dual, so I took down the Thorens and put the Dual on the shelf. Immediately after the move, I noticed the issue with static. The shelf is about 5 or 6 inches above the receiver. Could there be something about being above the receiver that is creating static with the Dual? I never had this problem with the Thorens.

I thought it might have something to do with the ground, but it still seems to be grounded (no hum that I hear when the ground is lifted). Or maybe the Dual has just built up a charge over time? I'm not really noticing a strong charge from it.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to alleviate it?

Still having this issue.

I have an Aerostat XT ionizing blower that I keep at my record cleaning station to get rid of static. I now have it by my turntable to deal with static after playing a record. I also tried to see if there was a residual charge on the turntable that it could remove and it may have slightly reduced the amount of static after playing, but it's still an issue.

Anyone have any recommendations for an anti-static mat for a Dual 1009 SK2?

I would also like to move my Aerostat XT again - it is large, ugly and noisy - but my Zerostat has bit the dust. Has anyone ever tried a canned air ionizer like this:

http://www.kinetronics.com/product/anti-static-canned-air-ionizer/

When I first started using my SP-25, it made static like no other turntable had before, in my experience - practically a Van de Graf generator. It seemed that my Zerostat barely made a dent in it - records would start out with no static from the sleeve, seemed to acquire some when placed on the platter, be quite charged up after playing one side, and be raise-your-arm-hair super-charged after playing the second. Nowadays it seems scarcely worse than normal.

I did a lot to make the static go away, but it could also be attributable to some ground finally making effective contact, or a mechanical part wearing in (I did install a new spindle bearing). First of all, I quit using a carbon-fiber brush, as it seemed to make things worse. That actually helped a fair amount all by itself. I took another AK'er's advice and got a like-new but old-style, directional-fiber Discwasher brush off eBay. Instead of using the fluid however, I mist it with this:
Now the static situation is under control - back to normal variability, and records don't seem to gain any static by brushing or playing them.

I also ordered and am using KAB's poly-metal mat - maybe that contributed, too.

Good luck. :)

So there is another interesting phenomenon that I have noticed. After playing the record, while it is still on the platter, I don't really notice a static charge. Maybe a very slight one (I'm just doing an arm hair test). It is right when I pull it off the platter that the charge happens. Although, it doesn't seem to happen from just putting a record down and lifting it up - it has to be played first.

First of all, I quit using a carbon-fiber brush, as it seemed to make things worse. That actually helped a fair amount all by itself. I took another AK'er's advice and got a like-new but old-style, directional-fiber Discwasher brush off eBay. Instead of using the fluid however, I mist it with this:
Now the static situation is under control - back to normal variability, and records don't seem to gain any static by brushing or playing them.

I also ordered and am using KAB's poly-metal mat - maybe that contributed, too.

Good luck. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I do use a carbon fiber "anti-static" brush. It doesn't seem to make things worse. If anything, I thought it was helping with minor charges (although it does nothing with these strong charges. I need the Aerostat to get rid of those). It probably has no effect, but whenever I use the carbon fiber brush, I touch the face of my receiver, which should theoretically ground me. The idea is that the conductive carbon fibers of the brush pick up the charge and transfer it through me to the ground. It probably doesn't work like that, but it makes me feel better!

I do have a wet cleaning spray that I haven't been using since I got my vacuum cleaner. I normally do a wet cleaning/vacuuming once if needed, and then use the carbon fiber brush for dust each play. I did just try the spray before playing and it did seem to help - but I'm not sure I like the idea of doing that every time. There seems to be some debate on wet playing being harmful.

$75 for the KAB mat is pretty pricey. Have you noticed any other improvements from it? I may try something cheaper first, but keep that in mind if I'm still having problems.

Also, I tried reversing the plug with no luck.

I went through the same rigamarole using my carbon-fiber brush. It has a metal handle and body, and I would brush while touching the spindle. Religiously. It didn't seem to help. The people who complain about the brush just pushing the dust around have a point, imo, although I used a brushing technique to minimize that, it just didn't seem to be the right way to do things on this turntable.

I never play albums wet, and the light mist from the very effective nozzle moistens the Discwasher brush just enough to kill any static and help the dust stick to the brush. Any wetness evaporates in a revolution or two, not like using the liquid D4 fluid as per the instructions, which can really wet down the record a lot more. I clean the Discwasher the traditional way, backwards on my clothing after every use. ;)

Mine may have gradually cured itself somehow, too. I had the same "charge the record up by playing it" thing going on, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Back
Top Bottom