Suggest Speakers Matched to MX110z + MC240 ?

munkong

Hello, Every one

Please help be suggest Vintage Speakers which matched to MX110Z + MC240, and in the same era (1960-1970). Price is around $3000 or below is good, I listen Rock, Jazz, Folk etc.

Thank You

One of the Altec 604 series would be great with that equipment and music. Altec Model 14 and 19 are also good choices although each of those date from the late '70s. All are high sensitivity therefore easy on the output tubes. Another dead on period correct is the AR3a but at 86 dB sensitivity @ 4 ohms, it's at the opposite end of the sensitivity spectrum but a highly regarded performer. A friend who recently listened to a pair said it was one of the best speakers he'd ever heard.

A pair of Klipschorns would also do well if you have two corners available along the same wall.

I'm sure there were be many other suggestions forthcoming but these come to my mind within your criteria.

Last edited:
Hello, Don
MC30 can drive AR3a with no damage? more people advice more power for AR3.
but I love it sound ;P
I would prefer more. I ran my AR3’s with 30w and didn’t love it. The story goes that those speakers are what kicked off the amp wattage wars and led to the MC275. Whether thats true or not, I dunno. Lots of people run ‘em with lower wattage and are happy, so you may be, too.

One of the Altec 604 series would be great with that equipment and music. Altec Model 14 and 19 are also good choices although each of those date from the late '70s. All are high sensitivity therefore easy on the output tubes. Another dead on period correct is the AR3a but at 86 dB sensitivity @ 4 ohms, it's at the opposite end of the sensitivity spectrum but a highly regarded performer. A friend who recently listened to a pair said it was one of the best speakers he'd ever heard.

A pair of Klipschorns would also do well if you have two corners along the same wall.
I never listen to Altec brand before. and seem to it hard to find and higher price!
you have the same pre+power like me, if you can select only one pair, Which one you will select to me?

I've always found my Altecs seem to excel with jazz, folk, bluegrass types of music compared to my more modern tower speakers but that is just me. Everyone's ears different. Where are you located?

Hello, Don
MC30 can drive AR3a with no damage? more people advice more power for AR3.
but I love it sound ;P
When my dad purchased his C20 and MC240 in the early ‘60s he paired them with AR3as. Sadly in my foolish youth I gave away the ARs but the MC240 is still going strong in my position. How much space do you have for speakers? I have Klipsch Heresys and more recently Belles paired with an MX110X and either MC240 or MC225.

I've always found my Altecs seem to excel with jazz, folk, bluegrass types of music compared to my more modern tower speakers but that is just me. Everyone's ears different. Where are you located?
I live in Thailand. hard to find good Vintage speakers :p

When my dad purchased his C20 and MC240 in the early ‘60s he paired them with AR3as. Sadly in my foolish youth I gave away the ARs but the MC240 is still going strong in my position. How much space do you have for speakers? I have Klipsch Heresys and more recently Belles paired with an MX110X and either MC240 or MC225.
My room is small, it only 4x6 meter, I love AR3 sound, deep bass, lifelike, smoothness than JBL
How of Klipsch Heresys sound?

Image7-68.jpg Period correct. Klipsch Cornwalls with updated diaphragms. Altec Carmels with up dated diaphragm. I know where theres a JBL Paragon for sale if you have crazy money to spend. Tannoy is another option. I use to use AR-3A with MC 3500's. 4 of them can handle all a 3500 can put out and that close to 500 watts. AR-3 match up quite well with a 2105. An EV 6 would be another choice. even a pair of Georgians. JBL Harkness or Hartsfield. Altec Capistrano with an A7-800 load or a 604E, G,K,L. For Ugly a Urei 813. B&O 5700/02 with less than 2% distortion at concert level. There's a Celestion version of the same speaker. Beta made some nice speakers using the same mids and tweeter as klipsch, but with slot vertical tuned ports. One version was basically a Hersey that was ported and the bass was quite good to 40 HZ. USing the same horns and drivers as a Korner Horn Klipsch, a Beta model had a short throw horn in front of the woofer with a tuned labyrinth similar to the Tannoy Westminster, but half the size. It didn't need a corner either.

I am sure I am leaving out many other examples from the larger Jensen. University, Stephen, or KLH models. A Bozak Symphony B4000 matches up very well, though I preferred a 275. Even concert Grands in a smaller room work well with a MC 240. I very seldom use more than 50 watts with my Grands and Symphony and that includes when watching HT movies. This was one of my systems in college.

Last edited:
View attachment 1014426 Period correct. Klipsch Cornwalls with updated diaphragms. Altec Carmels with up dated diaphragm. I know where theres a JBL Paragon for sale if you have crazy money to spend. Tannoy is another option. I use to use AR-3A with MC 3500's. 4 of them can handle all a 3500 can put out and that close to 500 watts. AR-3 match up quite well with a 2105. An EV 6 would be another choice. even a pair of Georgians. JBL Harkness or Hartsfield. Altec Capistrano with an A7-800 load or a 604E, G,K,L. For Ugly a Urei 813. B&O 5700/02 with less than 2% distortion at concert level. There's a Celestion version of the same speaker. Beta made some nice speakers using the same mids and tweeter as klipsch, but with slot vertical tuned ports. One version was basically a Hersey that was ported and the bass was quite good to 40 HZ. USing the same horns and drivers as a Korner Horn Klipsch, a Beta model had a short throw horn in front of the woofer with a tuned labyrinth similar to the Tannoy Westminster, but half the size. It didn't need a corner either.

I am sure I am leaving out many other examples from the larger Jensen. University, Stephen, or KLH models. A Bozak Symphony B4000 matches up very well, though I preferred a 275. Even concert Grands in a smaller room work well with a MC 240. I very seldom use more than 50 watts with my Grands and Symphony and that includes when watching HT movies. This was one of my systems in college.
Very Very nice decoration!
Thank for more good choices, may be I can not afford them :p

Klipsch Cornwalls and Fortes (these are newer than what you specified, but look the part) will pair up beautifully with what you have, as will Klipsch KLF-20s or 30s if you want something not quite as large but obviously more modern than what you have

I have a MX110Z and MC240 as well. I was impressed by Altec horns/ compression drivers. I have the Valencia 846B. They have a big open sound, fairly forward mid-range and are very dynamic and lifelike. Real close to the Voice Of The Theatre speakers, I think the same drivers as an A5, but with a smaller, home-sized enclosure. The 240 with a quad of GE grey plates have a nice fat wall of mids that float all around you. The horns don't go too high, but neither does my ortofon spu spherical. If you like a lot of sparkle in riding hi-hats, cymbals, ting-ing triangles etc, it may not get your rocks off. There's some mods to get the horns to reach higher. iirc, 902 compression drivers, zilch x over mods. Lots of Altec speaker parts are still available thru Great Plains Audio.

I've heard K-horns (old ones with wooden horns) and Cornwalls with the MX110 and 240 as well and they sounded pretty good too.

This is gonna sound crazy but when I had an MX110/MC240 I originally ran Polk Monitor 5s on stands - that was an awesome combo.

My room is small, it only 4x6 meter, I love AR3 sound, deep bass, lifelike, smoothness than JBL
How of Klipsch Heresys sound?
Heresys sound great when you get them dialed in with position, etc. That is until you buy a pair of Belles and play them ... LOL. I'm likely selling the Belles as they are far to big for the room. I dug out an old Blaupunkt 8" powered sub I had and have added it to the Heresys and the base is greatly improved. I can only imagine what a better sub might do. The Heresy is a fine speaker which I do enjoy. Though not as efficient as a full horn and not able to play as low because of the size, they work for me and I do enjoy them and the 240 has plenty of power for my taste. I have recapped the crossovers, but otherwise they are original '78 speakers as far as I know. From a budget point of view, I see Heresys available around my region for less than $500 (sometimes much less) for a pair. There are plenty of tweaks and upgrades available as well.

A speaker that might be really fun to try would be an Advent Loudspeaker. I had a powered pair so never could play them with the 240 (when it was my dad's system) but maybe someone here has and can tell us if the match is good.

Back
Top Bottom