Suggest speakers that excel at spooky good imaging

techguy0192

Listen to the whistle of the evenin' train
Subscriber
Wanting to get everyone's thoughts and opinions on this. Over the years, I have found imaging to be one of the aspects of high end speakers I really enjoy. I find speakers that are cable of filling a room with eerie holographic placement of instruments and voices a lot of fun.

I'm currently using Vandersteen 2Ce Sig II speakers. They are used in a 12x14 dedicated listening room that's treated for all the major reflection points. I really like Vandersteen speakers and I feel they do a good job at imaging, but was curious to see what you all might have found that betters them. I enjoy how they fill the room and sound big. Their 3A Sig is too big for my room. Vandersteeen recently removed the non-CT versions of the other speakers and the prices went up. Now the Treo is $8.5K and I'm not sure it represents the value it did when it was around $6500. Currently using my 2Ce speakers with an SS McIntosh preamp and amp (direct coupled).

Please keep suggestions around or below $5K retail. Looking forward to seeing the responses. Lastly, speaker size and esthetics are not a concern, as this is basically my man cave.

Edit - Only interested in current production models and companies that are still in business.

Last edited:
JBL 250ti
B+W 801 series 80
Both powered with over 600 watts per channel. The B+W's left an impression I won't soon forget!

Thanks to everyone so far....please note my edit.

Edit - Only interested in current production models and companies that are still in business.

Imaging and Soundstage are not the forte of every component. Excellence within those two categories is even more thin on the ground. Even a pair of speakers which does those things well can be brought undone by a Source component or amp which fails at those criteria. I'd make certain that the entire system was truly excellent in those areas before plowing money into a pair of speakers.

Last edited:
Imaging and Soundstage are not the forte of every component. Excellence within those two categories is even less thin on the ground. Even a pair of speakers which does those things well can be brought undone by a Source component or amp which fails at those criteria. I'd make certain that the entire system was truly excellent in those areas before plowing money into a pair of speakers.

Everything is up to pare. As mentioned, I'm using McIntosh gear and a high end DAC....no bargain basement stuff here.

might i ask why?
Sure. I typically change gear often; although, I have slowed down a lot. Trying out new stuff is part of the fun I find in this hobby. Later/current model speakers from manufactures that are still in business are typically easier to move...especially if there is remaining warranty.

Magnepan 1.7

I was going to suggest a pair .7's and a pair of subwoofers. However, my owning and using a pair of 1.7's with dual subs makes my opinion somewhat biased.:D

I'll be # 3 with this recommendation provided you can put the speakers where they need to be in the room and don't mind a narrow sweet spot.

MMG or .7 versions might be easier to integrate into a 12 x 14 foot space. They'll all benefit from a subwoofer, but the 1.7 give a very nice sound down to 40 Hz.

Sure. I typically change gear often; although, I have slowed down a lot. Trying out new stuff is part of the fun I find in this hobby. Later/current model speakers from manufactures that are still in business are typically easier to move...especially if there is remaining warranty.

Magnepan supports every speaker they have ever made and sold.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, consider the Joseph Audio Pulsars. Some of the best imaging and soundstaging I've heard. Haven't heard the less expensive models in the Joseph line, but they may be worth checking out.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, consider the Joseph Audio Pulsars. Some of the best imaging and soundstaging I've heard. Haven't heard the less expensive models in the Joseph line, but they may be worth checking out.
I've heard of the Pulsars, but know next to nothing about them. I just read Mike Fremer's Stereophile review of them from 2012. That is one of the best assessments I've ever seen him give any small speaker.

The narrow sweet spot tends IMO to be a bit over exaggerated around these parts. Yes there is a sweet spot, but they don't sound bad, out of the sweet spot. Last night on several LP's I was getting fantastic imaging 60 degrees off center. It was a isolated sax. I am constantly amazed even 3 lefts turns away, which is the reading room :D

They are THE best $2k I have spent in this hobby. :music:

Back
Top Bottom