Suggest speakers that excel at spooky good imaging

The narrow sweet spot tends IMO to be a bit over exaggerated around these parts. Yes there is a sweet spot, but they don't sound bad, out of the sweet spot. Last night on several LP's I was getting fantastic imaging 60 degrees off center. It was a isolated sax. I am constantly amazed even 3 lefts turns away, which is the reading room :D

They are THE best $2k I have spent in this hobby. :music:
May we inquire as to what they are?

The narrow sweet spot tends IMO to be a bit over exaggerated around these parts. Yes there is a sweet spot, but they don't sound bad, out of the sweet spot. Last night on several LP's I was getting fantastic imaging 60 degrees off center. It was a isolated sax. I am constantly amazed even 3 lefts turns away, which is the reading room :D

They are THE best $2k I have spent in this hobby. :music:

That's true for sound quality but the imaging falls apart off axis pretty quickly.

While we were conversing on this topic I was spinning a really good dead quiet copy of "Feels So Good" by Chuck Mangione.
That album is what imaging is all about. Another first rate A&M pressing. Sax in the upper left of the sound stage Chucks fluglehorn in the lower right, and percussion everywhere. Priceless

If you have not heard the KEF R series give them a try, with jazz/sax/ piano/ drums and cymbals you will get lost in sound stage with layers of depth with instruments from front to back , its just incredible, with the vocal hanging out in the middle, they are better than the revered LS50, they have a uni-q driver like LS50, but also a crossover to take the load off the the uni-q and send it to a aluminum cone woofer. they make large multi woofer models , mine are the smallest the R300s were $1800 pr, i watched some reviews on youtube with kef speakers andMac gear, maybe worth looking at...My Parasound gear is not getting their full potential i am sure.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (25).jpg
    FullSizeRender (25).jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 33
  • FullSizeRender (24).jpg
    FullSizeRender (24).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 31
  • FullSizeRender (21).jpg
    FullSizeRender (21).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Sure. I typically change gear often; although, I have slowed down a lot. Trying out new stuff is part of the fun I find in this hobby. Later/current model speakers from manufactures that are still in business are typically easier to move...especially if there is remaining warranty.

Which manufacturer isn't in business any more?

If you have not heard the KEF R series give them a try, with jazz/sax/ piano/ drums and cymbals you will get lost in sound stage with layers of depth with instruments from front to back , its just incredible, with the vocal hanging out in the middle, they are better than the revered LS50, they have a uni-q driver like LS50, but also a crossover to take the load off the the uni-q and send it to a aluminum cone woofer. they make large multi woofer models , mine are the smallest the R300s were $1800 pr, i watched some reviews on youtube with kef speakers andMac gear, maybe worth looking at...My Parasound gear is not getting their full potential i am sure.
The Uni-Q driver employed in the R300 is not the same driver in the LS50 nor is it in the same class. Sure there is a resemblance but that's it. Not saying the R300 isn't good, it's just not quite up to the Reference lineup.

Last edited:
Have you already treated your room to kill early reflections & stuff like that?

The room will be half of what you're hearing.

The Uni-Q driver employed in the R300 is not the same driver in the LS50 nor is it in the same class. Sure there is a resemblance but that's it. Not saying the R300 isn't good, it's just jot quite up to the Reference lineup.
exactly they arent the exact same, they arent a full range uni-q thats why the r300s are better , wider soundstage and deeper then the ls 50s that are choking on 1 driver doing it all when, you juice them up the LS 50 singe driver struggles to do it all, they would not be what he is looking for, the r series have the same or better imaging uni-q design but its saved for midrange and hi, but can also knock the pictures off the wall. the reference series are getting up there in price , i think $7900 pr for the large bookshelves like my r series.

exactly they arent the exact same, they arent a full range uni-q thats why the r300s are better , wider soundstage and deeper then the ls 50s that are choking on 1 driver doing it all when, you juice them up the LS 50 singe driver struggles to do it all, they would not be what he is looking for, the r series have the same or better imaging uni-q design but its saved for midrange and hi, but can also knock the pictures off the wall. the reference series are getting up there in price , i think $7900 pr for the large bookshelves like my r series.
The R300 would be improved quite a bit if KEF were to utilize the same driver used in the LS50. Naturally it would be more expensive to do this and that would raise the price point significantly.

Quads electrostatic speakers are known for their soundstage and imaging. I have never owned them but have briefly listened to a pair and they project great holographic imaging.

I noticed, after I posted that, your 'like' of the Magnepan post and put 2 and 2 together. 2 and 2 equal 5 don't they?

I knew from the first four words of his post, "The narrow sweet spot". Having never heard Maggies, I'm not taking that as gospel, but it's a pretty common observation when I read about them.
I really, really would like to hear some. And I appreciate that 91r says they're pretty nice outside the sweetspot.

Oddly enough, when I asked the same question about six months ago, the recommendation I received was what the OP already owns - Vandersteens.

Second recommendation would be to try tubes if you're currently using SS power. Switching to tubes made a significant change to the depth and presence of my soundstage. I know the OP stated they had good upstream gear, but I also did too before going to tubes. Completely changed the character of the sound and soundstage.

Back
Top Bottom