Suggestion Box

Discussion in 'AKFest 2007' started by Negotiableterms, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Negotiableterms

Negotiableterms Administrator Staff Member Admin Subscriber

While it's still fresh in our minds, would everyone please tell us what you think could make an even better event for next year?

Skip the obvious, please? We already know about the hotel, the elevators, Detroit in general...

Alternative venues, activities, etc. are what we're after.

I'll start: Dinner Saturday night is tough because the local restaurants can fill up, then take too long. Before the Fest, we could set up sign-up threads for Saturday night dinner reservations at nearby restaurants. If we got 8 people for the Outback, we'd make a reservation for 8 at 7:00 under a name like Fisher, Scott, Marantz, etc. No-shows could be made up via sign-up lists at the Fest.

2. Markus111

Markus111 Big Horns & Many Tubes Subscriber

How about maps showing local restaurants and other points of interest available at the registration counter?

Markus

3. Strawman

Strawman Moderator

Andy & I discussed this last year and dropped the ball Marcus. Next year for sure. We're so close we take it for granted, my bad.

4. piece-it pete

piece-it pete What, me worry?

With all due respect for my fellow MI ak'ers,

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Of course I'm not really one to talk (ahem, ahem).

The hotel really doesn't bother me. I think NTs' and Markuses' ideas really work on the biggest problem, well that and how to win the redgum next year :scratch2: .

Pete

5. Negotiableterms

Negotiableterms Administrator Staff Member Admin Subscriber

Copied From Another Thread

Copied From Another Thread:

6. Markus111

Markus111 Big Horns & Many Tubes Subscriber

I'm willing to help if you guys give me a shout. It was embarrasing - I'm 30 miles away, but I couldn't find jack sh*t in Southfield.

Markus

7. Strawman

Strawman Moderator

A conference is one thing, the fest is another. "You want us to gut out an entire floor of our hotel for what"? I'm not so sure that many hotel managers would be as accomodating, but I guess it's worth checking into. Grumpy has a lot invested with the management, and they seem to put up with us very well.

8. marantzfan

marantzfan ... Subscriber

As a hotel manager I can tell you that very few hotels would be this accomodating...:yes:

9. Squidward

Squidward Scrappy Mod Moderator

I like the hotel. It's got neat Detroit charm. I can just imagine the manager of that place thinking about us: "They may be loud, but at least there's no gunshots..."

10. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

Eagle crest still has not returned my calls.......................from 2 years ago !

Please keep in mind that the minute you tell them you will have 30-40 rooms loaded with audio equipment they shut down on you quicker then an 8 mile whore outta crack..

11. Billfort

Billfort Addicted Member

I've been to a bunch of audio shows in much nicer hotels and you will definitely not get the kind of freedom and tolerance we enjoy at that place - I mean I was sipping multiple beers until 4:00am listening to music...loud. Of coarse it goes without saying that the price to play at those other venues is in a whole different league as well.

Sure would be nice to have a couple functioning elevators though!

12. merrylander

merrylander AK Member Subscriber

Who knows, by next year they may have completed a lot of the renovation, my room (401) was one of the completed ones, new carpet, new bed, new furniture, new TV, was decent enough.

13. marantzfan

marantzfan ... Subscriber

I'm going to start using that one..:thmbsp:

14. EricC

EricC AK Subscriber Subscriber

An orginized dinner would be great. Even if it is just some of us going out to a resturant. Not having a car we were limited with our food options. Fortunitly lunch was big enough we were not hungery for dinner. The snacks at night were great.

15. DaWoofer

DaWoofer Super Member

I can see the year coming very soon where one floor will not be enough. If that happens sooner than later and another floor needs to be rented, it would be nice if some rooms could be rented by Ak'ers who are looking to sell or swap some of their fine equipment ( if rooms need to be filled). I'm sure there would be tons of equipment available for such a venture.

16. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Aggie! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

We did have a swap room. Just ask Big "I've got the Deals" Macc!

17. BruceRPA

BruceRPA AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would like to attend seminars given by members on topics of their area of interest. Of course we had outstanding two day seminars held by those generous members that brought their equipment and set up listening rooms but that is not exactly what I have in mind here. I am thinking more of an hour long presentation on a specific subject such as "An introduction and overview of Modern Digital Audio for those (of us) folks that are still in the tube age", "What makes Tube Audio so Special", "How to get the most out of an iPod", "Things that I bet you never knew about ______________", "What is 12" in diameter, can be played on both sides, and sounds great, and why", "How to get the most out of a day spent going to garage sales", How to clean up a vintage piece of equipment, and what not to do", and lastly , for now at least, "Is there really and difference in speaker cables and inter connects?" Just kidding on that one! If you are reading this far you must be thinking of a seminar topic too! Weapons would have to be checked at the door and no rotten fruit would be allowed to be carried into seminar rooms. Vendors and Manufacturers reps could also put on seminars as long as they were required to be kept generic and not turn into a sales pitch for their product(s). There is such an incredible amount of knowledge and expertise on such a broad variety of audio related topics that I am sure that members would be willing to share with each other. We see it happen here every day. I think that seminars could be a real hit.

18. Bigerik

Bigerik AK Subscriber Subscriber

You know, the hotel didn't much bother me at all. Once I got used to playing Elevator Roulette, even that part didn't bother me much. Just stayed away from the elevator on the right.
    My room was decent enough. Certainly was clean. The residents were also friendly enough, so no issues there either. I'm afraid that any other venue we might find would not be as understanding of what we are doing as is this one.

As far as changes, how about a listeners choice award of some kind where people get to vote on their fav listening room. Wouldn't mean much in the greater scheme of things, but it would be a nice little acknowledgment to give to those who came and set up rooms.

Loved the live music. Definitely a keeper!

19. EricC

EricC AK Subscriber Subscriber

I agree with Ultra Hog but then we would be turning the fest into a week long event. I would love to spend a day learning and watching Ecowars rebuilt a spec amp. Another day watching Rob bring a CR-2040 back to life. Or half a day and a bigger room so we could all join in on the DAC shootout.

I think Ultra Hog has a great idea.

20. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Active Member

I thought the whole event was just magical. One of the best times of my life. Some kind of magic. I'll never miss another one.

Don't change too much.