Suggestion Box

Eric, two (or was it three?) years ago, Glen brought all his test/bench gear, and worked on gear, at the Fest. Not much fun, that's for sure, since he is reknowned for his thoroughness. Same would apply to Rob. I do like the DAC Shootout idea.

Bigerik, that is a great idea, a "People's Choice" award!

Ultra-Hog said:
I would like to attend seminars given by members on topics of their area of interest.

The topics you mentioned were interesting, but are many people going to want to do that kind of thing? Speech-making is not everyone's forte.

It would be great if people are willing to do it, but I'd like to suggest a different kind of seminar too.

How about having people demonstrate how to do things? How to bias output tubes. How to setup a cartridge. How to make your own speaker cables or interconnect cables. How to solder. How to read a schematic. How to measure a speaker driver. Etc.

I'm betting this kind of hands-on thing would be popular, and it's something you can't get anywhere else.

The "How To" topics would be great. Short and sweet. As far as the swap room, if all members attending brought one item, it would be filled to the roof. I know the Fest is not a swap meet, maybe next year I'll just bring a couple item to swap or sell. Otherwise, the Fest was great fun and is only logical that the people putting it together will continue to do a fantastic job. Can't wait till next year!

I was thinking about doing a passive versus external crossover demo next year with a pair of Infinity RS 2.5's.

That is if I could talk Retro into bringing the Spec 1 and two Spec 2's needed since I have such a hard time getting mine out of the rack eh Greg?

Then people could hear for themselves the difference between passive and active biamping...

Also could do a workshop on refoaming woofers if there is any interest at the same time.

Just a thought or two...

I was thinking about the seminar thing too. I'd be up for an hour on refoaming a wooger or refinishing a cab. FWIW, the rooms would only handle about 30 folks tops, and they are at a premium too.

And sorry about that restaurant fubar! I'll get with some other locals and build a nice map for the future.

Bigerik said:
You know, the hotel didn't much bother me at all. Once I got used to playing Elevator Roulette, even that part didn't bother me much. Just stayed away from the elevator on the right.

It might be nice if some of the local people could come up with a list of recommended nearby restaurants and stores for next time.

I had a good dinner at the hotel restaurant, but some other people weren't happy with what they had.

- edited later - Looks like that's being taken care of. :)

Andyman said:
I was thinking about the seminar thing too. I'd be up for an hour on refoaming a wooger or refinishing a cab. FWIW, the rooms would only handle about 30 folks tops, and they are at a premium too.

Maybe the hotel would let us use a larger room for that? Even the bar could work. Just put a table on the stage and turn on some lights so people can see.

stuartk said:
Maybe the hotel would let us use a larger room for that? Even the bar could work. Just put a table on the stage and turn on some lights so people can see.

And maybe have a couple of guys doing it staggered in verying stages in case you walked in at different times.

stuartk said:
The topics you mentioned were interesting, but are many people going to want to do that kind of thing? Speech-making is not everyone's forte.

It would be great if people are willing to do it, but I'd like to suggest a different kind of seminar too.

How about having people demonstrate how to do things? How to bias output tubes. How to setup a cartridge. How to make your own speaker cables or interconnect cables. How to solder. How to read a schematic. How to measure a speaker driver. Etc.

I'm betting this kind of hands-on thing would be popular, and it's something you can't get anywhere else.

That's exactly the kind of things that I have in mind. Mine were just what happened to pop into my head late last night, they were not intended to be real topics, although they could be, just typical ideas. A seminar would not have to be formal or fancy. We are all friends here. The simpler the better. With a little planning I think that short seminars could be a real hit and a lot of fun.

Three Days ??? I don't know,would it be too much.It seems a shame for people that have to travel across large parts of the continent to turn around and go home after just two days of fun....

David

I have to agree.. two days is awfully short..

The "Peoples Choice Award" is a great idea.

The Seminars are also cool, but again, time is a constraint.

Although Eric and I were laughing about it at lunch, the hotel isn't that bad. Stayed in worse. Elevator roulette was kind of fun. I'm assuming they'll be working better next year, and if they ever get their liquor license back, the bar would be a totally hoppin' place around midnight Saturday. Especially if they let US play the music! (I'm guessing I was the only one using the practice putting green on the west side of the building!). Plus, wi-fi and a coffee maker and I'm good to go.

List of local restaurants, plus a sign-up sheet so people could hook up in groups and go somewhere together. Maybe a mod for each group, plus it would help attendees who don't have their own transportation meet up with other folks and get to know each other a little better.

There was a lot more gear in the swap area two years ago, when it was in the lounge. I enjoyed it, and took home a pair of EPI's. Maybe we could talk it up a little bit more for next year.

The idea of seminars or how-to demonstrations would be outstanding. I'm thinking of woofer refoaming, maybe some coupling cap replacements for tube gear, control cleaning, cartridge set-up, etc., would really draw some interest. Having done exactly this type of work in real life, however, I can tell you what the problem will be: Because it's close-in work, only three people will be able to see what you're doing. So, we'd need to do something like use a video camera connected to a projector or a flat screen tv, or something similar, so the whole room would be able to see. Not a trivial effort. But, it might be worth looking into. It should be a room set up only for these seminars/demonstrations, with a posted schedule, with times, for each one, so folks could plan ahead. Min 30 minutes between each one for setup/teardown.

A handout sheet listing each room and vendor/member/gear. It would help each attendee keep track of what rooms they've seen, and which ones they haven't seen yet. And, each sheet could have a ranking or scoring column. At the end of the Fest they could be dropped in a box for a drawing after the Fest is over, and the prize could be mailed to the winner. Most importantly, we'd learn which were the most popular rooms/vendors, etc., and could make some modifications to the next year's Fest accordingly.

And, we could have a "Best Vendor Room", and "Best Member Room" award.

If the relationship with the management is good, and we could somehow get one or two of the larger conference rooms, we might be able to set up a larger room for one of our more loyal vendors. That way, that vendor might get a room with a volume more conducive to letting the speakers work a little better. Downside would be that it would be on a different floor, security, loudness, etc., so might not work out in actual practice, but it's a thought.

Message board stationed outside the registration room, so folks could post their "so-and-so, meet me in Kegger's room at 2:00" messages and not miss each other.

More use of mods to help out. Dave's family is always in it up to their eyeballs, and a few other wives helped out, but it's not fair that the "usual suspects" are always stuck in that room. I offered on several occasions, and I know I was far from the only one that did, but an assignment sheet for those mods that have committed to attend wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm perfectly capable of making change and sticking tickets in a jar, and I'm more than willing to do a two hour shift in the registration room. As are many of us, I'm sure.

A wi-fi laptop set up in the registration room for those who might want to check email but didn't have a laptop to bring to the fest. Live "FestChat" for those who couldn't attend!

An "AKFest 2007" pin for sale, with a new one each year. Collect them all! Show your friends!

I'm already pumped for next year!

And next time, I'm not going to lie down for a "short nap" after dinner, and not wake up until 2:00am, like I did this year. I'm so embarrassed, not to mention pissed off, that I missed the late night festivities.

I'm bringing an assortment of single malts next year.

Do we have a date yet?

FisherDude makes great points. I offered to help this year but never heard back. I figured it was because I was a new face. Next year the offer still stands, same goes for Nadia. As long as we know before hand we'd be willing to give an entire day.

With a liquor liscens that bar could be a great place for the evening. If there is live music next year it might be worth opening that to the public and putting a $5 or $10 cover for non fest visitors. If its a known local band the local paper that lists all the weekend activities should be willing to list it. It could help cover the costs and maybe draw more to the fest. Just throwing out ideas here.

I had WiFi working in my room. I'd be willing to open my computer up to fisherdudes idea of letting others check email.

The taxi cost $60 from and back to the airport (less on the way back, thanks to 'toze). For that much, I could have rented a car and had mobility. Won't make that mistake next year!

AK could look into some kind of group rate. We may not have enough folk for that, but it's worth a look!

Good grief, I completely forgot to mention the only thing that really irritated me...we've GOT to have a small PA setup in the lounge so everyone can hear the MOTY presentation and other announcements that are being made.

That's really the only time during the entire Fest where "management" can talk to all the attendees, both members and potential members. It's an opportunity to make all feel part of the group.

Negotiableterms said:
The taxi cost $60 from and back to the airport (less on the way back, thanks to 'toze). For that much, I could have rented a car and had mobility. Won't make that mistake next year!

AK could look into some kind of group rate. We may not have enough folk for that, but it's worth a look!

Enterprise has been my favorite ever since the first time I used them. Always friendly & helpful.:thmbsp:

Fisherdude said:
Plus, wi-fi and a coffee maker and I'm good to go.

The first room they gave me was missing a working door lock and a working phone.

The second room didn't have a couch, table, hangers in the closet, or a coffee maker. :tears:

List of local restaurants, plus a sign-up sheet so people could hook up in groups and go somewhere together. Maybe a mod for each group, plus it would help attendees who don't have their own transportation meet up with other folks and get to know each other a little better.

I think this would be a good idea too.

The idea of seminars or how-to demonstrations would be outstanding. I'm thinking of woofer refoaming, maybe some coupling cap replacements for tube gear, control cleaning, cartridge set-up, etc., would really draw some interest. Having done exactly this type of work in real life, however, I can tell you what the problem will be: Because it's close-in work, only three people will be able to see what you're doing. So, we'd need to do something like use a video

Yes, you're probably right. Although maybe some AK member is into video and would like to do this?

I know I'd be very interested in seeing some of the things that AK members have learned to do, so I think seminars are a great idea.

A handout sheet listing each room and vendor/member/gear. It would help each attendee keep track of what rooms they've seen, and which ones they haven't seen yet. And, each sheet could have a ranking or scoring column. At

I would hesitate on this one. I don't think that the Fest should become a contest. People shouldn't have to compete to have the best room.

Yes, I have definite opinions about who had the best sound, but we as a group should not be judgmental about the people who showed off their systems. They all worked really hard and were nice enough to share their systems with us.

And, we could have a "Best Vendor Room", and "Best Member Room" award.

I could go along with the Best Vendor Room since they're doing it for profit and there are lots of awards in the industry, plus recommended components lists, editor's choice, etc. We can make judgements because we do that when we decide what to buy.

Where I disagree is doing this for Member's rooms. I think everyone deserves an award just for lugging all of their stuff to the hotel and through those elevators, then manning their room all weekend while the rest of us were free to wander around.

If the relationship with the management is good, and we could somehow get one or two of the larger conference rooms, we might be able to set up a larger room for one of our more loyal vendors. That way, that vendor might get a room with a volume more conducive to letting the speakers work a little better. Downside would be that it would be on a different floor, security, loudness, etc., so might not work out in actual practice, but it's a thought.

This would be cool. Certainly those big speakers that some dealers had were too big for the rooms they were in.

Message board stationed outside the registration room, so folks could post their "so-and-so, meet me in Kegger's room at 2:00" messages and not miss each other.

A very good idea. I would have put a couple of messages up on such a board.

I'm bringing an assortment of single malts next year.

I've never really liked Scotch that much. I like Bourbon a lot though.

My wife is a Scotch drinker. She's from Venezuela and that's the only whisky they drink there. You can get plenty of different rums and also gin and vodka, but what most people prefer is Scotch. It's all blended Scotch though. They don't seem to have single malts.

The last time I visited, I brought a bottle of Glenfiddich and one of Lagavulin. Her brothers were just amazed at how they tasted and wished they could get these locally.

I also brought a bottle of Maker's Mark and that went over well too. Nobody had ever had bourbon before.

I spent a few hours last Fall in a bar in the Orlando airport with a couple of Scotsmen. They were sitting at the bar next to me and we started talking, and the conversation made it's way to Scotch.

They bought me shots of a couple Scotches (Johnny Walker and Dewar's if I remember) and I bought them shots of Maker's Mark and Knob Creek.

They suggested that I try some of the Speyside single malts since they tend to be less smoky and that's what bothers me about Scotch.

It made for an interesting afternoon. :)

Ok, here's a suggestion...Since many of you have talked about the confusion and problems with dinner Saturday night.

What if Grumpy and I did Dinner on Saturday instead of lunch?

We could do dinner, have any presentations while everyone is eating and then have some live music while everyone is relaxing after dinner. What do you think?

just a footnote...my 9 year old daughter just made a comment to Grumpy and me..."AK fest just ended - why are you already talking about next year?". I have to agree with her...but AK fest never ends at Grumpy's house. We always want to improve it every year!

Let us know what you think...

By the way the message board outside the office is a great idea!

Ms. Grumpy

I love the Dinner replacing lunch idea. Best part is it eliminates the PITA of trying to seat many parties on a sat night around here.

grumpy said:
I love the Dinner replacing lunch idea. Best part is it eliminates the PITA of trying to seat many parties on a sat night around here.

I agree, great idea, would really make the evening a centerpiece of the Fest and solve some problems as well.

Back
Top Bottom