Suggestion on beefy "yesteryear" receivers to run it as a multichannel amplifier

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by wingman0121, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Well-Known Member

No problem. As you already know there were some Totl receivers from 01-09 that could compete easily with Seperates, however it was and still to a degree taboo amongst audiophiles to say that. I learned years ago from owning receivers and Seperates that it really doesn't matter which one it is as long as it's made well and sounds good to your ears, because some Seperates I've owned didn't agree to my ears and some receivers did agree. Your 507 is very good and I would rank it high as one of the best Uber receivers ever made.

BTW that scroe from the other day I was talking to you about, I'm doing some serious listening before I start a thread on it, but so far it is an absolute amazing piece of equipment. I'm looking at Friday or Saturday to post up about it.

Audiofreak71

2. superdog

superdog AK Member

Thanks,After ten years of numerous 70s receivers I'm still in a learning phase with these type of AVs and interest is at an all time high.Therefore I've been trying to get as much info as I can on these as I believe this is where I get off the audio merry go round.Looking forward to the rxz1 post as there are never any uber receiver threads around these parts.:banana:

3. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Active Member

I've owned many, and still own a few. Yamaha rx-z7, very similar the the z9, just down a little bit on power. Onkyo tx-sr606, these can be had for dirt cheap, like $100 or less because of their reputation of HDMI failure (the fix is simple, replacing 5 caps with higher temp ratings). See link where the onkyo was vastly underrated https://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-tx-sr606-av-receiver-measurements

Also worth looking at are the Pioneer vsx series. I've owned quite a few of them. They're class d, so they run cool, even when driving all channels. They also state their all channels driven specs, so at first glance they seem less powerful than comparable units. I currently own a vsx-40, and a vsx-1023k until recently.

4. twiiii

twiiii Super Member

Yamaha has always had the most hokey sound effects if pushed to far. Used in moderation they are pretty cool. For 90% of the time when I'm just listening to music in the multi channel modes I turn off the rear and side speakers. More traditional movies I turn the effects channels down a bit, too. I think the producers and directors carry things to far most of the time. Now if we were watching movies in the round then I could see emphasizing the effect channels.

5. Audiofreak71

Of all the Yamaha receivers I've used (which is 6 now) I have used those dsp modes for about 5 min. What impresses me about Yamaha's (up to 08) is there amps and there accurate sound, my RXZ9 killed my Krell 300i in sound quality imo and had equal guts when driving my speakers. I'm now experimenting with an RXZ-1 that has the same sound signature as the Z9 not quite the grunt the Z9 had but not far off at all. So I agree those dsp modes are just to draw in newbies however yamaha backs it up with solid amps and DACs for when there tired of it they can enjoy good pure sound whether from 2ch Listening or multichannel.

Audiofreak71

bigx5murf likes this.
  6. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

I do all of my music listening in 2 ch mode but I do find the later Yamaha DSP music modes can give excellent results but you need to turn down the effect levels and possibly also the room size. As a subtle enhancement they can sound surprisingly realistic and natural. I have heard quite an improvement in Yamaha's processing ever since my days of selling the original DSP-1. One of my collegues at the time was a very knowledgeable and experienced salesman and music lover. I think he correctly assed one of the problems with the Yamaha factory pre sets. Yamaha did a fantastic job of travelling around the world and recording the actual sonic signature of many fine venues. The problem is that they probably did the measurements in empty halls as opposed to ones filled with (sound absorbing) audiences. As a result all of the setting are too "live". Made sense to me at the time.

Audiofreak71 likes this.
  7. Audiofreak71

That's a good point and your probably right about that. I use multichannel in from my yamaha rxz 1 to my oppo udp 203 and it works perfectly for me and sounds extremely good to me, been using it that way for years. I have used a new receiver and used hdmi to let the receiver do the processing and did a side by side testing of hdmi vs the RCA's and to my ears the RCA's had a way better sound. I'm not trying to start a debate on which or what is better because it's all subjective, just to my ears tge RCA's are a much better sound. 2ch is absolutely stunning with these Totl receivers, I was very surprised at how good they can be, on par with Seperates I have owned (Krell, B&K Parasound and a few more). Alot of people think because it's a receiver it's impossible to sound good or take serious listening in 2ch when actually these Totl receivers are very capable and also can be had at a very affordable price, however there starting to go up in price so get them while there cheap.

Audiofreak71