Suggestions for a moving coil cartridge for my set up

punprankster

Hi guys. I am looking for suggestions to for a moving coil cart for my setup. I recently acquired a Luxman C-120 so now I have the option of using an MC cart with my system now. I will be using the cart on my Denon DP-59L hooked up to my B&W 703s.

AT THIS TIME, I have only read a bit on the Denon 103 and 110 and the Goldring Eroica was suggested to me. Can more experienced members give me a better idea on what these carts can do or/and give other suggestions?

Thanks!

Have owned Signet, Koetsu, maybe 30 different Ortofons over 50years, Dynavector, auditioned Clear Audio, Lyra and London. For the money I would choose the high out Ortofons or Dynavectors. If you have some serious money I would choose the Dynavector 20 X 2. If I come out from under tax season this spring, I;m going to get a XX2. But we are talking silly money now. Dynavectors are known for their accurate bass reproduction, smooth highs and fatigue free sound. MY 20X2 will track the 90 band on my Ortofon test record at 2.3 grams with no signs of miss tracking. My Stantons and Shures wouldn't always do that at 1.3 .grams plus extra weight for the brush. PS it helps to have a linear tracking tone arm.

Hi guys. I am looking for suggestions to for a moving coil cart for my setup. I recently acquired a Luxman C-120 so now I have the option of using an MC cart with my system now. I will be using the cart on my Denon DP-59L hooked up to my B&W 703s.

AT THIS TIME, I have only read a bit on the Denon 103 and 110 and the Goldring Eroica was suggested to me. Can more experienced members give me a better idea on what these carts can do or/and give other suggestions?

Thanks!

That Denon is a sweet table. These cartridge recommendation threads work best when the OP states his/her cartridge budget :).

If I come out from under tax season this spring, I;m going to get a XX2.

I hope you do. It's sublime.

Thanks!

Are you looking for a low output or high output MC? The Denon DL-103 is a low output cart. The DL-110 and the Goldring are high output. You don't need a MC phono stage when using a high output MC cart. You only need the MC phono stage for low output MC carts. Hope this helps.

that denon is really nice
i have a dp1200 with a benz micro ace medium
nice cartridge great sound for reasonable price

That Denon is a sweet table. These cartridge recommendation threads work best when the OP states his/her cartridge budget :).

My budget is whatever I can sneak by the wife without her noticing.
Realistically? Maybe 250, 300 bucks. Will that get me anything good?

Am geting a restored Denon dp 59l. What are recomedatons for MC cartridge? 3-500$
Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/II or III
Audio Techinca AT-33EV
Hana MC has been getting a lot of attention of late, too.
Orotofon Quintet Red
Denon DL103r
Denon DL301 II
All of these are low-output cartridges; you'll need a phono stage with LOMC capability.

Last edited:
My recent search ended with an Audio Technica ATOC9MkIII from Amazon.

If there's no adjustment on your MC input I'm guessing it's 200 load and 65 gain. That should be enough for all but the very lowest LOMC.

I have 2 LOMC cartridges - AT33PTG/II and a Paradox Pulse Guard DL-103. Right now the AT (which is a couple months old) is in use. 2 slightly different price points, but I enjoy them both.

Took my Luxman to a friend's jouse and hooked it up to his AR XA with a Denon DL-110 and all I an say is wow. Even hooking the table up to the MM input shows the MC has a very distinct advantage over the MM port.

So the 110 is on top of my list right now but it seems. Like the Denon DL-103 can be had for only about 15 bucks more. Is there any any palpable difference between the two? What would be the better pick between them?

I am still researchjng your other suggestions but at?the moment, it seems thag these two are the ones closest to my budget.

Back
Top Bottom