Sumiko MMT

Very good arm. I do however hate rewiring these though as they can prove a challenge do to a few factors. Older models that have been played extensively can have the lower pivot screw work out and get a bit loose making the arm a touch chattery- but easy to fix. The lower screw is easy to re-adjust and a dab of Locktite should keep that in place. Arm tube internally dampened as is end stub. End stub can be swapped out for heavier or lighter carts. Fluid damped a plus. Liked medium and medium-low compliance carts on it. Excellent headshell design (the heavier one). Well built and durable arm by Jelco/Ichikawa Jewel co., who also made the earlier Audioquest arms like the PT-6.

Sumiko tonearms are made by Jelco, one of the major companies in the audio industry. They make tonearms for the majority of the turntable companies. The Sumiko MMT is similar to the 750, but the Sumiko headshell is about 7 grams heavier and the tonearm is longer. I'm using Jelco on both of my AR tables. It would be hard to find a better tonearm in this price range.

Thanks guys. I should have grabbed it when I could, but was concerned about compliance. I did search on here and not do well, but I could have used Google for this site.

Correction, still available, lost track of the ad.

I learned something new, thanks again for the info on Sumiko and Jelco and so forth, that will help me search again.

Last edited:
In the 1990s and beyond the MMT were commonly found as standard tonearms on VPI HW19s and Sota turntables and a number of other decent tables being that they had quite a bit of good features/performance for the price.

I bought a NOS Jelco 370 on the bay a while back and it came with MMT documentation, so I take it that it was the same arm.

If you were looking to upgrade from an MMT at a reasonable price, what would you look at?
Any thoughts on the Audiotechnica AT-1100 series?
Has anyone tried a carbon fiber headshell?

If you were looking to upgrade from an MMT at a reasonable price, what would you look at?
Any thoughts on the Audiotechnica AT-1100 series?
Has anyone tried a carbon fiber headshell?

What is a reasonable price? If used is possible, then it just depends on what deal you can luck into.

If going new, I would say the Audiomods Classic II would be my choice for an affordable tone arm that is a significant step up from a MMT.

A Jelco 750D would be along the same lines but higher quality, as would one of the Audioquest tone arms. Jelco built the MMT and the Audioquest arms. There are the classic Japanese arms such as Audiocraft, Fidelity Research, or SAEC, but they have some of their price driven by collectibility. A modified Rega, like the Mitchell Technoarm can be had for a reasonable price at times.

But with the analog revival, used tone arms have been climbing in price. It can be tough to find a good one. I got lucky and found a Technics EPA 250 for $800, so there are deals to be had. You just have to be in the right spot at the right time.

What cartridges will this be used?

Regards
Mister Pig

Used is a possibility, almost a must on my budget. The Audiomods and the Wand are on my watch list; but they don't seem to come up much. I see a Grace and Audiotechnica pretty often; but I'm not convinced they would be much of a step up. My everyday cartridge is a Hana SL, 5 grams, mystery compliance - probably 12. My lightest is 4.8 grams and heaviest 6.8. On paper the MMT is not the best match for my Shure V15 RS; but it actually tracks better there than on a Linn Basik with a LVX, which are supposed to be optimal with the V15 series.

Used is a possibility, almost a must on my budget. The Audiomods and the Wand are on my watch list; but they don't seem to come up much. I see a Grace and Audiotechnica pretty often; but I'm not convinced they would be much of a step up. My everyday cartridge is a Hana SL, 5 grams, mystery compliance - probably 12. My lightest is 4.8 grams and heaviest 6.8. On paper the MMT is not the best match for my Shure V15 RS; but it actually tracks better there than on a Linn Basik with a LVX, which are supposed to be optimal with the V15 series.

You know I saw a Wand come up for sale last year, and every once in a while an Audiomods come up when someone is taking an upgrade to a super arm. If you can find a pre-owned Rega that has been rewired and has a VTA adjuster, they can be a good buy. But its hard finding a used tone arm that is a good value these days. I have to say the Technics EPA 250 I bought is a lovely arm, and I found it for $800. So there are opportunities in the $500 to $800 range.

Sometimes you can find the Project 9CC out there for decent money, but I have always thought their internal wiring could afford to be upgraded, and the cartridge clips are not very stout. But its a nice arm, nice enough that Linn and Oracle buy them and use them on their entry level tables.

Regards
Mister Pig

As Mr Pig notes, tonearm prices are climbing. That applies to tonearms offered as separate, stand-alone components. But some "integrated turntables" (sold as a complete system) had superb arms. For example, I have a Sansui SR-838 TT probably worth about 500 — I'd rate its tonearm alone to be worth that or more, compared to the competition. I also have the arm which came with the Yamaha YP-D8 — the TT was totally trashed and I got it just for the arm, which was not damaged. It's not just a good arm, it's a great one, with near-frictionless bearings, and VTA-on-the-fly.

If you broaden your search to include "complete" TTs with very good arms, and find a "parts/repair" unit for low cost, you can score a superb arm for peanuts.

One drawback is the arm-lift is often operated by "remote control", ie a lever or knob at the front, connected by a cable. Many classic Thorens models have this design (btw, I don't recommend their arms). Stand-alone arms of course have the armlift built-in. This is only one small aspect of tonearm design and has Zero effect on SQ — but it's an important convenience feature. There are ways to solve this issue.

I totally agree. It is surprising to see how many tonearm sellers feel that removing a turntable from the bottom of the arm Is a value-added service. :confused: I have been keeping my eyes open for good deals on complete tables; but again, I've only had experience with the Linn LVX, Audioquest PT-9, and MMT. (and a Yamaha YP-B4 that I sold 2 years ago) I don't see the wisdom in investing in a modded Rega or Pro-Ject, since my research suggests that the base MMT is better for my table than the base of either of those and the Sumiko can be modded just as easily. In fact mine has already had a wiring upgrade.

Once you get into the less ubiquitous arms I get quite unclear as to which "rank" above the MMT and which below. I've even read opinions stating that the MMT is Jelco SA-370 on steroids and those that call it the SA-370's poor cousin. I almost pulled the trigger on an AR XA with a Grace 747 for $450 ( another seller wanted $380 for a 747 with no cable); but I couldn't find a post from anyone who'd compared it to a Jelco.

I have an MMT on an AR the turntable with a Signet cartridge and have always really liked the combination. I'd try to find one with the table attached or at least a reasonable seller.

Back
Top Bottom