Summer 2017 New England FrankenFest - June 24th in Clinton MA

Not a father and daughter...it was a pair of co-workers, I believe. The young girl is completing a vintage system, and needed to pair some cool speakers with her tube amp (which she bought at a AK Meet last year). I think the asking price was $140. They were, in fact, absolutely beautiful Wharfedales....
I saw those Wharfdales. I almost pulled the trigger on them, but was still giddy after picking up a pair of ADS L810's at a thrift store the night before. And, I am running out of space in my listening room!! A

Glenn- it was great meeting you, and hearing your wonderful ADS's. I am sorry I could not stay long, as my diabetes started acting up- had a very low blood sugar. Ended up finding a bunch of 8-Tracks at a thrift shop in Leominster on the way home. Additionally, your demo inspired me to get my L810's off the floor, and angled. The difference truly was night and day. Anyways, glad I made the last FrankenFest at the old building. I used to live in Clinton, and am less than 10 miles from this location! -Arthur
Hi Arthur!

Good to meet you as well, and sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. :-(
We will miss the old factory, but the tradition will continue. Maybe we'll get some of you Mass AKre's to come down to NY for the meet in September!

I think you will be happy with the 810's off the floor, which may help tame the boomy bass these are known to have.
The stands the L980's were on are the factory optional stands.

Glenn

Hi Arthur!

Good to meet you as well, and sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. :-(
We will miss the old factory, but the tradition will continue. Maybe we'll get some of you Mass AKre's to come down to NY for the meet in September!

I think you will be happy with the 810's off the floor, which may help tame the boomy bass these are known to have.
The stands the L980's were on are the factory optional stands.

Glenn
Thanks! It really was nice meeting you- great to put a face to the name. I could talk speakers forever.

Man, do those 980's sound sweet! Yes, I used a low-tech solution of milk crates, and door wedges, to angle them slightly. Really controlled the boom, and made the 810's really sing. The OEM stands are cost prohibitive, and even aftermarkets are pricey. Remember, I got these bad boys for $45/pair! A

Thanks! It really was nice meeting you- great to put a face to the name. I could talk speakers forever.

Man, do those 980's sound sweet! Yes, I used a low-tech solution of milk crates, and door wedges, to angle them slightly. Really controlled the boom, and made the 810's really sing. The OEM stands are cost prohibitive, and even aftermarkets are pricey. Remember, I got these bad boys for $45/pair! A

Something like this would be a breeze to make.
furniture-speaker-stands-4.jpg

You could make stands! Easy enough and cheap!

In case anyone was wondering, here's what a Braun L810 looks like with a calibrated mic on REW.
I don't know what the dip is at 10k. The tweeter was just rebuilt, so might need break-in.
Note the speaker is "bloated" at the bottom end from about 50-300 HZ. That's that "warm" sound you guys like.

(This was done using a 20-20k sweep, averaged over 4 passes.)

35418020581_f6a45e60dc_b.jpg

Here's a few more pics of the festivities, demos and goodies for sale.
I picked up a Yamaha NS-10M orphan to go mate with my orphan 10M. So I'll finally see how a pair sound for near field listening. We'll see, some say they are terrible because they are so revealing, others love that quality.
Here's the pics.

Demo area in the basement.

Attachments

• IMG_3338.jpg
    IMG_3338.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
This will be my last fest as host. More on this later.

Did a quick look up.
My first fest post was June 13, 2008 for a October 4, 2008 fest.

This fest announced May 12, 2017 for a fest on June 24,2017

That's nine years give or take. Pretty good run if I do say myself :)

I need to make something absolutely clear. Without the invaluable efforts of Wjim and Audio Don this would not have happened. Don worked on outreach and education and Jim on outreach and scheduling. They didn't get asked, they just stepped up and got it done. I've joked about our 60 second organizational meetings. Not a joke, that's exactly how it worked.
I cannot thank either of them enough, and neither can you.

Frank C.
Frank- I was there, but did not get to meet you Saturday. But everything you shared with me on the phone about the event was true- I have not met a nicer group of audio enthusiasts. -Arthur

Thank you Frank for all the years of generous hosting.

Thank you Jim for your years of dedication and efforts to keep these local events so well organized and executed.

I arrived on the late side- I missed a bunch of friends this round- but grateful for catching up with those who were still there.

Cheers,

Paul

I wasn't able to make it to this Fest unfortunately. Looks like I missed out! Glad you had fun!

I remember those big old 12' open baffles on a board at Frank's house, in his living room during the serious downpour. My first fest, won't be the last.

Yup :D those were ampex drivers (ge made 12's, and the bullet tweeters) :) I tried a SHITLOAD of drivers on those baffles... .. Ampex was the best

My first Audiokarma event at Franks.
Great time and met a lot of great people..... Looking forward to the next event!!

All shirts shipped today - no more boxes of shirts all around the living room, more room for stereo gear!

I've donated $100 to AK and $50 to the Kegger fund.

Enjoy those sexy shirts!

The shirts are fantastic. Thanx so much. I was looking forward to it. Any idea when the next get together is? Also a friend and i are planning an event kind of like a flea market but with vintage furniture and mid century items. I am pushing for speakers and stereos. Also maybe an auction. I am thinking of starting a post but figured i would put something here first to see what kind of interest there is and an input from everyone. Let me know what you think. Maybe even host a demo event like the frankenfest. All ideas se welcome

No solid plans yet on the Fall GTG but I think I'd be looking at Saturday November 4th.

One idea Baco99 had was to find a small motel where we could rent a couple of rooms for about $50 each that would have curb side access and maybe they'd have a meeting room area we could also utilize.
I have one particular spot in mind off of 84 about 10 miles South if the MA/CT border.

Stay tooned.

No solid plans yet on the Fall GTG but I think I'd be looking at Saturday November 4th.

One idea Baco99 had was to find a small motel where we could rent a couple of rooms for about $50 each that would have curb side access and maybe they'd have a meeting room area we could also utilize.
I have one particular spot in mind off of 84 about 10 miles South if the MA/CT border.

Stay tooned.

Sturbridge Host maybe?

Stay tooned.

One of the ones where the "massaging bed" accepts quarters?

Back
Top Bottom