SUMO gear - models, specs, pics, general info

Silentnet

Looked around both here and elsewhere and this brand is rather neglected despite its history and the impressive nature of their designs...

Anyone who has info is more than welcome to share!

I have a first gen SUMO Andromeda on the way, and will post specs and pics when it arrives.

As you can tell by my signature line I'm a fan of JB's work. I was fortunate to see him a couple of times shortly before he passed away. There are basically two eras of SUMO, pre and post JB. New amplifiers post JB were usually MOSFETs which James didn't care for. I really love to work on the SAE and GAS gear but the SUMOs are kind of a PITA to work on because of the way they are designed mechanically, especially THE POWER. It would be nice to start a manufacturer's forum for SAE, GAS, and SUMO. They're all different but still all related.

Craig

As you can tell by my signature line I'm a fan of JB's work. I was fortunate to see him a couple of times shortly before he passed away. There are basically two eras of SUMO, pre and post JB. New amplifiers post JB were usually MOSFETs which James didn't care for. I really love to work on the SAE and GAS gear but the SUMOs are kind of a PITA to work on because of the way they are designed mechanically, especially THE POWER. It would be nice to start a manufacturer's forum for SAE, GAS, and SUMO. They're all different but still all related.

Craig

I really want a THE POWER but have never even seen one for sale.

Can easily see myself collecting other JB gear in the future.

I think there were only 385 of THE POWER made so they are scarce. THE GOLD is just as scarce if not more so. I've seen a couple of POWERs for sale but never a GOLD. That I would love to find.

Craig

Haven't thought of Sumo in a long time. It's not much but I have a Sumo Moat, which is a bridging adapter with a center channel. Curious device. I also owned an Ampzilla II, and still own a Goliath pre-preamp, and a Sleeping Beauty low output moving coil cartridge. Go JB :)

So, first impression of the Andromeda, "I thought it'd be bigger." In good shape though.

On lifting it? "Thought it'd be heavier."

Then I pulled the GFA-555 out. While it cut an imposing figure, the chassis full width front to back where the Andromeda looks a little odd outside a rack with its very wide face plate but relatively narrow / shallow chassis...

The Adcom wasn't as heavy as I remembered. Substantial, sure, but the SUMO was noticeably heavier despite being more compact.

It's also significantly taller than the Adcom, so I had to move the pre-amp under the PS4.

Point against SUMO - it thumped the hell out of my speakers on power up. Point for: looks just as badass as I remember.

And it sounds as good as it looks. I love the GFA-555. It's a great amp. That said, I'm going to take the next week or two to A/B it and the Andromeda. Not a completely fair comparison as I'm sure the 555 could use a re-cap and the Andromeda just got one. If the first impression stands... The Adcom will be for sale soon.

I've always been one to sneer when people get flowery describing the sound of amps, but in this case "bass with ''authority'" makes sense, suddenly.

Edit: added a couple pictures from the listing, and a couple of my own.
amparejpeg_2018417191538.jpeg amparejpeg_2018417191358.jpeg
IMG_20180517_191945.jpg
IMG_20180517_191933.jpg

Last edited:
The NINEs and Andromeda ARE oddly shaped. After JB started SUMO with THE GOLD and THE POWER he wanted to make less expensive versions which were THE NINE and Andromeda. He used the same heatsinks as the larger amps and I guess there isn't much else you can do with those heatsinks. The big amps have two heatsinks per channel mounted fin to fin to form a tunnel and then used a fan to move some air thru the tunnel.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom