Sunbeam Tiger. One mile run .....171 mph.

Ohighway

Wannabe Minimalist
Subscriber
Having a bit of experience with these in the past I just can't fathom going 170+ mph in one.......

Lifted from facebook......

Hugh Guynes
6 hrs
Ran the Arkansas Mile June 2-4 . For this run the temp was 88 F with a density altitude of 2950 feet ( a very hot humid day ) . The toggle I turn on after shifting into 5th is for data logging . If you pause at 1:19 you can see 172mph on GPS speedometer from my iPhone . The official time was 171.2 mph .

460 whp with 3.15 gears .

Wow, he was one-handed most of the time too - that's some pretty good stability ! I've been 150 in a 4.5 litre V8 Triumph TR7 with the top down and that was one of the most scary things I've ever been in. Kudos to this guy and I do love the Tiger, gorgeous little car (with a big heart lol).

The Sunbeam Tiger is one of my dream cars. This is second only to the AC Cobra. A guy in my high school had one and I used to drool at it in the parking lot. I have yet to be close enough to a real Cobra to drool on it; a couple of reproductions, but never the real thing.

Wow, he was one-handed most of the time too - that's some pretty good stability !

He mentioned that he used a modified front suspension and steering rack. Also had a modest front air dam and tiny rear spoiler between the taillights.

The Sunbeam Tiger is one of my dream cars.

Same here. They always seem to have stayed just out of reach for me, and have really skyrocketed over the past few years. Closest I ever came was in 1984 ....could have had one for $7500. ( Could have had a somewhat shabby but running 65 Corvette convertible for about the same money. ). Decided instead on a low mileage 73 Corvette. Stupid ---stupid -- stupid.....:dunno:

A friend in high school had a Sunbeam Alpine - it would occasionally make half that speed.
Ocassionally.

A friend in high school had a Sunbeam Alpine - it would occasionally make half that speed.
Ocassionally.

I almost went the Alpine route many years ago, but instead went Triumph with a Spitfire followed by a TR7 which I put the 2 litre 16 valve Dolomite Sprint engine in. Wish I had gone the small block Rover V8 route instead...

Having a bit of experience with these in the past I just can't fathom going 170+ mph in one.......

Hugh Guynes
6 hrs
Ran the Arkansas Mile June 2-4 . For this run the temp was 88 F with a density altitude of 2950 feet ( a very hot humid day ) . The toggle I turn on after shifting into 5th is for data logging . If you pause at 1:19 you can see 172mph on GPS speedometer from my iPhone . The official time was 171.2 mph .

And no ROPS from what I can see, no leg bars...no tethers, no HANS..... yeah that's a bit outside my comfort zone...especially in a 50+ year old car (very limited 1964 to 1967 production if my memory serves)? I am surprised that track allows cars like that with no regulation safety stuff...at least a HANS...sheesh!

I almost went the Alpine route many years ago, but instead went Triumph with a Spitfire followed by a TR7 which I put the 2 litre 16 valve Dolomite Sprint engine in. Wish I had gone the small block Rover V8 route instead...
Judging from that engine note, it was making double what it came with in stock form.

Hugh Guynes
6 hrs

Dude, I just realised, your avatar looks almost like a mirror image of a light-painting long exposure shot I took years ago - check it out....

Night Riders by Justin Robert Bailey, on Flickr

My first car was an Alpine, back in the day. Frequented the 'real' Tiger Auto shop in Dayton, which is still an active specialty shop for Alpines and Tigers. Have an Alpine now, too. They're quite the hoot. Had a TR6 before too, which was a great car but 'no trunk' so speak of. Nice engine, though.

Current popular mod is to put a Ford 2.8 V6 in an Alpine. Requires less modification and has better handling and power than a lot of Tigers. (Not better power than the one in the clip, however.)

Car in the clip has a non-standard transmission, too. Tigers topped out at 4 speeds. (Even my Alpine has 6, via factory overdrive.)

I too have been 'too fast' in an Alpine. The ads of the time said "100 hp, 100 mph". Well, sorta almost on both, but I got mine up to an "indicated" 100 or so one dark high-school night. 16.4mph/1000rpm works out to 98+ at 6000 rpm redline, where I lifted my foot. Still a fun ride. Hard to believe mine's 50 years old this year, and the design was penned in 1959. Still holds up.

Chip

And no ROPS from what I can see, no leg bars...no tethers, no HANS.....

Yeah, at least one of the Tiger guys was busting his chops for that in the comments on FB.

Judging from that engine note, it was making double what it came with in stock form.

He claimed "640 WHP" ..... I guess that's at the wheels?? Anyway that would easily make it 3 to 4 times the power of the stock car.

My first car was an Alpine, back in the day. Frequented the 'real' Tiger Auto shop in Dayton, which is still an active specialty shop for Alpines and Tigers.

Current popular mod is to put a Ford 2.8 V6 in an Alpine. Requires less modification and has better handling and power than a lot of Tigers. (Not better power than the one in the clip, however.)

........ design was penned in 1959. Still holds up.
Chip

Yeah Doug Jennings..... still has a shop in Dayton though I think he just moved to a different facility.

That v6 conversion for Alpines is supposed to be a nice package, and give it approx the same performance as a stock Tiger.

Of all the sports cars of that era I like the looks of the Tiger/Alpine the best. Very clean and doesn't look as dated as the others.

...He claimed "640 WHP" ..... I guess that's at the wheels??...
From your first post:

Yes, WHP is wheel horsepower. BHP or brake horsepower is at the engine, which is usually around 15% higher. To get WHP he measured it on a dyno.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom