Sunbeam Tiger. One mile run .....171 mph.

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by Ohighway, Jun 5, 2017.

1. highvoltage_

highvoltage_ Well-Known Member

The what?

2. Harryconover

Harryconover Well-Known Member

3. Ohighway

Ohighway Wannabe Minimalist Subscriber

Mine too !!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  4. rnorton

rnorton Super Member

My brother had an Alpine. It could make it up to eighty if you could keep from dropping large parts (like the generator or even the bell housing) out on the road first.
    I recall that the leather sets smelled really nice.

5. Ohighway

The Tiger was more than just a straight line racer. There's plenty of road races and such where they were running shoulder to shoulder with Corvettes and Cobras.

That 'weight' that you condemn took a pretty yet unremarkable Alpine and made it into a very memorable machine. While adding weight is seldom a good thing, in this case the benefit was well worth the added poundage. And contrary to what many will claim, the Tiger was not a nose heavy beast. The 260/289 was shoved far enough back to maintain a near 50/50 weight distribution. The brakes OTOH needed a serious upgrade to handle the additional power....... an upgrade that never happened.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    sfox52 likes this.
  6. Harryconover

7. Harryconover

I take back what I said on the weight I haven't driven the tiger version so I am going on here say , alwise a bad practice, so agin my apologies, i have driven the alpine and you are quite right about the breaks they over heat quickly and fade with the added weight of a bigger engine it would get bad fast

8. Ohighway

Well among other things the Tiger crowd installs rear disk brakes to help out there. I'd imagine the same could be done for the Alpine.

The Tiger/Alpine have a very clean and modern appearance that absolutely beat the pants off the styling of the MGs and Triumphs of the same era. (My opinion obviously) And the build quality was pretty good.

The V6 conversions supposedly make for a killer little overall package. The only thing I don't like about the V6 conversions is that they use the dated and not super common (these days) Ford Capri 2600/2800 60 degree V6. It would be cool to have a more modern fuel injected V6 in there.

9. Harryconover

10. Harryconover

Well if you do a new engin a rotary would be nice !

11. Ohighway

12. Harryconover

OMG (and I'm a atheist) , This car is over the top good ! It's soooooooo nice I don't say perfect buts it's very close my only criticism is the length of the wires in that one image , but that's bing over the top critical too !

13. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

That's really cool....

I'm a bit of a fanatical auto mechanic so don't try this at home. While I was staitioned overseas in Germany for ten years straight I happened on to a build that proved interesting. I bought a European spec (E21)1978 BMW 323i and the European spec 325i engine is the same engine as used in the BMW 323i less the chocked intake and exhaust of the 323i engine.....but the weight of the 323i automobile is much lighter than the 325i automobile and the suspension on the 323i automobile tracks well and better than the E30. In the acquisition process of going through the German auto wrecking yards not knowing the difference between the 325e (2.7) and the 325i (2.5) I actually put the two together, 325i head on a 325e block. The compression was uniformly too low and barely moved the car down the street. I found a turbo exhaust manifold, turbo and intake induction from a BMW 524 TDI and promptly installed it in the car. The acceleration was more than I expected, so I ordered a rebuilt short block of the 325es engine and had a 325is cylinder head rebuilt using Chevy 283 small block exhaust valves for intake valves in the 325is head to open up the flow. Added an oil cooler pump system to the oil pan and went with double sway bars one right on top of the other and De Carbon gas struts. Went with the Metric Mechanic rotors and calipers.....then made a DIY intercooler system. All done quite cheaply at a BMW Club that I was a member of.

Took the car out on Autobahn-5 which is a straight shot from Frankfurt to Heidelberg and let her rip, got up behind a turbo Porsche doing well over 240kph because my speedo cable snapped at that speed. I slipped up behind a Ferrari when it passed the Porsche and held on for dear life gaining an incredible amount of speed because the Ferrari in front of me was trying to dust me off by going faster...which he did ! The speed trap cameras on the autobahn were flashing like crazy where you turn off to go to Ramstein AFB and in the blink of an eye...I was in Heidelberg ! I didn't even get a ticket in the mail....never went that fast again, but I drove the car until I left Germany !!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  14. Harryconover

Very cool

Djcoolray likes this.
  15. Harryconover

Had a 76 2002 Ti that a service guy bought and could bring it back as used this was necessary because of exsastet Specks it had twin side drafted soles but the bearing point failed I got two 45mm delratos on a Alpina short manafold put in a Scrik 265 can and a oli cooler and remote and big oli filter with the house it was 2 qts larger , bilstin sport schoks also put in a five speed transmission from a early 320 so it still had mechanical send the final touch was a water injunction system it was made by Edenbrok it cued on input vacuum and RPM sampled at the points , they don't make it now because if you installed it Wong it would bend your crankshaft , works great if you use it right oh also a good igneshon system

Djcoolray likes this.
  16. Johnno_Oz

Johnno_Oz AK Subscriber Subscriber

[​IMG]

I saw a Sunbeam Rapier on the freeway today in the same colours as this. It looked like a sort of English version of those "finned" American cars of the 50's and 60's. I don't think the British had the same level of access to cheap steel as the Americans. :)

17. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

As a kid I considered myself a gearhead This one escaped my radar though. I remember the triumphs, the mgs, the only sunbeams I remember couldn't do 100mph unless they were dropped from a cargo plane:idea:
    I always thought the triumphs (tr6,7,8 were kinda cool)
    Hey wait, I'm pretty sure njcanuck has a sunbeam. Not sure which one. Maybe an alpine:idea:

Ohighway likes this.
  18. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

Gotta love auto correct.
    I went back to read what i wrote and gearhead became meathead. (Maybe the same thing anyway :D

19. Harryconover

20. Harryconover

Too true on the mead head !