Sunday Tunes

A freebie from either Harp or ICE magazine (I forget which one).

Garrison Starr ~ Airstreams & Satellites

Supposedly an alt. country influenced singer/songwriter. Not hearing any of that - sounds more pop mainstream, but she does have a degree of passion that shows through. Might grow on me.

-Dave

I'm listening to yesterday's Prairie Home Companion broadcast off the archive
site til time to head to "Monster Park". :lmao:
Lots of good election related humor in this weeks show.

Carl

Always enjoy listening to this guy (and another candidate for my best of 2004 list)

Albert Cummings ~ True To Yourself

Gotta agree 100% with this reviewer -

Review by Steve Leggett

Although they might not admit it, fans of the late Stevie Ray Vaughan have been waiting for the next Stevie Ray to rise out of the blues-rock circuit, and while countless hotshot guitar slingers certainly have dressed the part, few if any of them have that same mixture of explosive skill and hard-earned soul. New England's Albert Cummings might just be the guy who can do it, though. Calling him the new Stevie Ray wouldn't be fair, certainly, but Cummings, a carpenter from Williamston, Massachusetts, has that same explosive, soulful and emotional tone that made Vaughan so special. He also is somewhat of an "aw, shucks" kind of guy, with very little show-biz about him, but when he picks up that Fender Stratocaster, sparks fly....

Anyone that likes their blues red hot should check this guy out.

-Dave

After WhiteSE's mention in another thread, I just had bring Judith Owen ~ Twelve Arrows out for a listen.

Mighty tasty!!!

-Dave

Robyn Hitchcock .. Spooked

:thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

I first came to listen to Hitchcock on his Double cd of Dylan songs.Saturday at Radioland I saw Spooked and thought ,Why not?Glad I did.
This is a superb album and it was produced by Dave Rawlings and features he and Gillian Welch on some cuts.Also featured on bass is Joey Spampinato(is he not of Concrete Blonde fame?)

I f you only buy this cd for his cover of Dylan'sTryin' To Get To Heaven Before they Lock The Door you'd have spent good money.

Toze,you would definately like this cd,I hope you see this post before the stores close.

Alan

opt80 said:
Robyn Hitchcock .. Spooked

I first came to listen to Hitchcock on his Double cd of Dylan songs.Saturday at Radioland I saw Spooked and thought ,Why not?Glad I did.
This is a superb album and it was produced by Dave Rawlings and features he and Gillian Welch on some cuts.Also featured on bass is Joey Spampinato(is he not of Concrete Blonde fame?)

I f you only buy this cd for his cover of Dylan'sTryin' To Get To Heaven Before they Lock The Door you'd have spent good money.

Toze,you would definately like this cd,I hope you see this post before the stores close.

Alan

Spampinato? Sounds like a Mexican mystery meat dish of some kind. :scratch2:

I read it before the stores closed, but I took the pledge yesterday, Alan.

Listened to some Manhatten Transfer, then a little Earl Klugh and finished up with a wild card that I got at a local TS. Julie London - july Is Her Name... A mono that looks to be the 56 version. Was lookin at a copy of Goldmine and ... Hmmmm VG+ = $25.00... Hmmm have one more that looks to be worth $20.00 (Make Love To Me).... Hmmmm I need to go back to the TS and take a little more time going through the pile now... Got 'em for $0.50 each....

Marc Jordan .. Make Believe Ballroom

From the man who wrote Marina Del Rey this is great late nite listening!this will make the top Opt ten or TOT as it is better known.

Alan

opt80 said:
Dave,
Hope you find Cry,cry,cry,it is your cup of chowder.I never saw it in a store,but our stores aren't like your stores.Where are going?Tulsa?
let me know

Alan

Yep, spent the day in Tulsa and I did find Cry Cry Cry. I'll give it a listen later today. Also picked up (mix of new and used):

Chuck Prophet ~ Age of Miracles
Beautiful Dreamer: the Songs of Stephen Foster
Joni Mitchell ~ Court and Spark
Norman Blake ~ Slow Train through Georgia
Fairport Convention ~ The Wood & the Wire
Kate Campbell ~ Rosaryville

Decided to pass on the new Iris Dement after listening to some samples. All in all it was a pretty good day yesterday. Today will be outstanding with all these disks to listen to!

-Dave

First up this morning is Cry Cry Cry. You were spot on with this one Alan, most excellent!! Outstanding performances by Dar Williams, Lucy Kaplansky and Richard Shindell.

Up next: Norman Blake ~ Slow Train Through Georgia.

-Dave

Just got in from spending the windiest night ever in a tent. The kids wanted to camp out on the back side of our property. So we did. It was fun, but the wind howled about 35 mph all night. Needless to say, this coffee tastes great.

I think I'm going to spin Dickey Betts - Atlanta Burning Down first up this a.m.

JD

Dave918 said:
First up this morning is Cry Cry Cry. You were spot on with this one Alan, most excellent!! Outstanding performances by Dar Williams, Lucy Kaplansky and Richard Shindell.

Up next: Norman Blake ~ Slow Train Through Georgia.

-Dave

Ain't CRY a great cd.Just a background note,James Keelaghan,who wrote Cold Missourri Water is a Canadian.The song is based on fires in Missourri in the late 1800s.There is a book about the incident.One day I am in used bookstore and I asked the guy if he had heard of the book.he goes to a shelf and pulls it down.$9.99
I emailed Keelaghan to ask if his name had been Callaghan years ago,he said as far as he knew it had been always Keelaghan.However,he said,his wife's maiden name was Callaghan and the irony did not go unnoticed.
Back in Ireland ,Keelaghan was a form of Callaghan.
Sounds like you had a glorious day in Tulsa,Dave.Glad my rec paid off for you

Alan

On a bleary-eyed Sunday morning, Norman Blake's song, Slow Train Through Georgia may be the best song ever recorded..............

Chris Whitley War Crime Blues

Great blues\roots from a vetern musician

He does a great a cappella version of Nature Boy,funny there is no music on that track :scratch2:

Alan

10K Maniacs Campfire Songs . Disc 2 contains the version of Peace Train that was omitted from the MTV acoustic cd.
Natalie omitted it because of Cat Stevens endorsement of the killing of Rushdie.the girl has ovaries

Alan

Back
Top Bottom