Super bowl

Ertz played so well, he caught TWO touchdown receptions on the SAME PLAY. Damn refs cheated him out of one though.

It appears I'm not the only one who noticed the referee bias, the news is already talking about the poor officiating.

Excerpts:

It's fine if that is considered a catch, but it hasn't been a catch all year, and suddenly the NFL is changing its mind midstream on the biggest possible stage.

Philadelphia appeared to line up with just six players on the line of scrimmage and five behind the line of scrimmage, which would make the play an illegal formation. It was a close call, with the wide receiver lining up about half a yard behind the line, when he should have been on the line, covering the right tackle. But it easily could have been flagged. If it had been called, the Eagles would have been penalized five yards and almost certainly would have kicked a field goal on the play. Instead, the Eagles got a touchdown, and were gifted an extra four points.

Hundreds of irate fans took to Twitter after the Eagles' win and they all wanted to know the same thing: Why didn't Philly get flagged for pass interference on the final play of the game?

The Patriots lost Super Bowl 52, but they can perhaps console themselves with the fact that will probably be hearing a lot less about how they supposedly get all the calls from officiating crews. Referees passed up reasonable opportunities to negate Eagles touchdowns in the second, third and fourth quarters Sunday, helping Philadelphia to a 41-33 triumph.

Last edited:
It appears I'm not the only one who noticed the referee bias, the news is already talking about the poor officiating.

Excerpts:

It's fine if that is considered a catch, but it hasn't been a catch all year, and suddenly the NFL is changing its mind midstream on the biggest possible stage.

Philadelphia appeared to line up with just six players on the line of scrimmage and five behind the line of scrimmage, which would make the play an illegal formation.

It was a close call, with the wide receiver lining up about half a yard behind the line, when he should have been on the line, covering the right tackle. But it easily could have been flagged.

If it had been called, the Eagles would have been penalized five yards and almost certainly would have kicked a field goal on the play. Instead, the Eagles got a touchdown, and were gifted an extra four points.

Hundreds of irate fans took to Twitter after the Eagles' win and they all wanted to know the same thing: Why didn't Philly get flagged for pass interference on the final play of the game?

The Patriots lost Super Bowl 52, but they can perhaps console themselves with the fact that will probably be hearing a lot less about how they supposedly get all the calls from officiating crews. Referees passed up reasonable opportunities to negate Eagles touchdowns in the second, third and fourth quarters Sunday, helping Philadelphia to a 41-33 triumph.

The complete lack of insight and self-awareness here is breathtaking. Modern medicine is working wonders, but fixing something like this would require a miracle.

The Washington Post

LOOK: Refs appear to miss pass interference call on Super Bowl Hail Mary

clear.gif

MINNEAPOLIS -- A lot of Patriots fans aren't happy with about the way Super Bowl LII ended and it has nothing to do with the fact that their team lost. For once, it was Patriots' fans who were complaining about the officiating following New England's 41-33 loss to Philadelphia on Sunday.

The drama started with nine seconds left to play in the game. With the Patriots sitting at their own 49-yard line, Tom Brady knew he had to get the ball to the end zone, so he launched one of the most dramatic Hail Marys in Super Bowl history.

After the pass fell incomplete, the Eagles went into immediate celebration mode, but Patriots fans thought there should have been a flag on the play because wide receiver Chris Hogan got roughed up by an Eagles defender.

Last edited:
Continued from above.

Although officials will almost never throw a flag on a Hail Mary play, that usually applies to the scrum in the end zone. However, with Hogan's hit, there almost certainly should've been a flag because it happened so far away from the play.

Now, if the officials had thrown a flag, that doesn't necessarily mean the Patriots would have won. If there was a penalty, it likely would have been pass interference if the ball was in the air, but if the ball wasn't in the air, then it would have been illegal contact.

If the call was PI, then the Patriots would have gotten the ball at Philly's 38-yard line. At that point, they would have been allowed to run one more offensive play in an untimed situation.

If illegal contact had been called, then the Patriots would've gotten to run one more play from Philly's 46-yard line. Either way, the Patriots probably should've been given one more play.

After a season where the Patriots seemed to benefit from every controversial call, the officiating definitely didn't go their way on the biggest play of the NFL season.

Last edited:
Plenty of non-calls for pass interference, holding, etc. committed by both teams. I'm a big football fan, but much of the NFL game is based on getting away with cheating.

the 3 Eagles running backs looked like they wanted it more....but more important is we're about 10 days from "pitchers and catchers"

The dynasty is OVER !!!! You cant keep stealing victory from the clutches of defeat forever. I enjoyed every minute - if Brady announces his retirement, I'm throwing a party. As much as I love to HATE the Patriots, Belichick is a grandmaster coach - he nearly made me give up watching football forever. I was so disappointed last year and I don't even like the Falcons. The bad guys lost and the good guys won this time ... just like in Star Wars.

Now its back to yard work ... damn

Fun game. I was rooting for the evil empire's sixth win, having been seduced by Tom Brady's boyish charm, shark eyes, creepy clam, and ability to leave one supermodel for another with nary a consequence. But that 4th down trick play call by the Eagles could not be denied. Am I the only one besides my wife who thinks the Eagle's coach looks like an older Don Draper?

As for JT's halftime show, my 16-year-old daughter called his music "good, but old." Old? I'm glad we didn't have to suffer through another classic rocker doing a hurried medley of hits.

No standout commercials. Lots of pathos (cue the piano music) and some clean (Tide) humor, but not enough skin or dumb humor for my low-brow tastes.

So what do the Eagles do about the starting QB next year?

PS - I would add Ron Gronkowski is probably the greatest tight end in football ... I love to hate him and really enjoy watching him play. The guy was made for the game of football. All digs on Brady aside - he really took some shots. In the old days, it would have earned him the reputation of being tough but knowing what we know now, I really hope he calls it quits ... beautiful wife and kids to think about.

Back
Top Bottom