Super Find: McIntosh MR 78

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by gssound, Jul 3, 2018.

1. gssound

gssound New Member

Pics don't seem to be showing up on my mobile device. Just on the computer. :no:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. stereocuuple

stereocuuple Two Channel Only Subscriber

use RCA cables to connect the fixed audio outputs to the AUX or TUNER input on an integrated amp or receiver. a cheapo ant will do fine for testing. I to am only seeing some of your photos. Good luck and great find. What other gear do you have to test with?

3. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

I see no pics at all. Just IMG.

4. MORTIS

MORTIS Alien Member

Same here, no pics.

5. jlovda

jlovda Things I loved from the 60's and 70's Subscriber

For glass, a single edged razor blade followed up with Goo-Gone will take care of any glue residue.

6. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

Pics had been viewable earlier but seem to have gone down for whatever reason...:dunno:

7. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just make sure you're not referencing a local drive. It must be internet accessible: www.somewebsite.com/pic.jpg

8. gssound

gssound New Member

Sorry about the pics, everyone. I was linking to the location in Google Drive, but I guess that's not a great way to do it.

Can't believe I'd have to create an account to host pictures for forum sharing, but I guess I must. Any suggestions?

I'll try to remedy this tonight, I'm really pleased how the piece looks after I cleaned it up.

9. gssound

gssound New Member

Looks like I have the pictures situation squared away. More to come tomorrow.

10. Big Mac

Big Mac Well-Known Member

Call Ryan at Audio Classics (see their website for phone number and email to each staff member). Ryan can get you straightened out on this....they have seen lots of MR78s. You have a great McPiece in your possession!

AC is in Vestal, NY just west of, and across the Susquehanna River from, McIntosh Labs in Binghamton.

11. chef free

chef free AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've never seen one without the bezel, it looks much better without it (just like the 2205 does)!

gssound likes this.

12. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

I was just thinking that too, I was about to get the blade, and make the change!!

chef free likes this.
  13. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Not sure if this matters to you, but Michael Fremer considers this if not "the best" then at least one of the five best tuners ever made.

gssound likes this.
  14. chef free

chef free AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think i remember that it's you that has the 2205 sans bezel, they will look great together! Please post a pic of them together when you are done...

15. kevzep

I would agree with that....the MR80, just edging ahead.....

16. kevzep

Oh, I have sold the MC2205, funny, the new owner wondered if I had the Bezel!! Of course I did and gave it to him....

But still, its coming off so it can look a little more modern in the company of the C48 etc...

17. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Back in the day Michael Fremer purchased one at a garage sale, he sent it to Richard Modafferi for service and updating, he also listed Richard's email address in the article.

Some yrs later I snagged a couple of Mac pieces and was given the MR78 with the understanding it was already sent to McIntosh and returned as unrepairable.

Two different shops stated they could repair it but later returned it as unrepairable. I remembered I had the old magazine so had it in hand when the second shop was trying to return it.

I showed the article to Gary (the service tech/shop owner) and asked if he would send it there. Gary said "you could just send it yourself", my response "you've spent time working on it, send it in and when it's fixed add whatever you think is fair for your time".

Gary sent the tuner to Richard, it was completely fixed and the Modafferi modification was also included, making it most likely "the best" tuner ever made. All for the huge sum of $450, what glorious sound I've never heard from FM before or since.

In case you're wondering, Richard Modafferi was one of the chief designers of the MR78.

gssound likes this.
  18. jlovda

jlovda Things I loved from the 60's and 70's Subscriber

I thought the typical RM refurb was closer to a grand.

gssound likes this.
  19. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

This was 20 yrs ago, and performed by the man himself.

And I was being sarcastic calling $450 a huge sum, it was a bargain even back then.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  20. gssound

gssound New Member

I might just be making the best of a bad situation, but I think it looks better without the bezel too!