Super Find: McIntosh MR 78

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by gssound, Jul 3, 2018.

1. gssound

gssound New Member

Fremer’s opinion is very important to me. I’m a big vinyl guy, too.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. gssound

gssound New Member

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

3. gssound

gssound New Member

I love FM radio, and I love this piece, but I don’t know if I have it in me to spend 1k on FM radio. Even if it it’s one of the greatest FM radios ever produced.

chef free likes this.
  4. gssound

gssound New Member

[​IMG]

The picture just doesn't do it justice. It looks about 75% better than when I found it. Also, dusted inside and a did a nice Deoxit application.

I purchased a TERK amplified antenna and plugged it into the 75 ohm coax connector, then sent the RCA connection to an integrated aux input: unfortunately, no dice. :(

So, unless I'm doing something wrong (possible), the device is not working. I'll reach out to my repairman (he is a licensed McIntosh tech) and see what the cost would be to get it up and running. As stated above, spending 1k to have it worked on is not happening. I'm willing to invest something, but...

Anyway, currently, it's the most beautiful nightlight in the world.

5. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

I thought something went "POOF" and smoke came out?
    You don't have to spend $1000 getting it up to spec, I wouldn't spend that either to be honest, it is, stock standard one of the best tuners there is, no need to spend thousands on something that is already the best around.
    But do stop powering it up, smoke is usually a sign that something has catastrophically failed, powering it up may cause more damage to occur...
    Get it in to a tech and repaired.

John James and gssound like this.
  6. gssound

gssound New Member

It didn't exactly poof; didn't see smoke. Just a burny smell; to me, more of a dusty burn, rather than a catastrophic electrical failure, but what do I know? That's why I took it apart and dusted it out.

No more powering it up until I bring it to my tech, promise! ;)

Please register to disable this ad.

7. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

Oh, my mistake, sorry, I see now.
    Might as well just take it in anyway, make sure its all good,

8. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

A 78 is a great piece and I thoroughly enjoyed mine though the Kid has it now and I just use my MR80 for FM and the MR 7084 for AM. The 78 is the best out there for receiving weak signals and handling big monster stations close by, which use to be a big problem for me back in the 80's before the two college stations got them selves some decent transmitters and big antennae arrays. But that was then and low power level is not an issue now, I don't have the big stacked Jerrold log periodics on the roof any more, so the MR-80 is my tuner of choice. But if you have issues of extracting the best from an FM station and can have an antennae on the roof with a rotor a MR -78 is the Best Choice.

9. nbndtrain

nbndtrain Active Member

The all green caps are tantalum and most likely a large part of the problem. These should be replaced with Nichicon FG and KL (2 in signal path) caps
    [​IMG]

10. jlovda

jlovda Things I loved from the 60's and 70's Subscriber

The large green tantalum cap at the upper left hand corner of the board hiding behind the inductor can (bottom left corner of the IC) is the one that can cause damage to the power supply if it shorts.