Super OEM turntable versus Technics SL1200

I'm not sure I understand the appeal of digitizing an LP. I understand that there is a wealth of material issued on the vinyl format that is not available anywhere else, but people who are interested in that side of the hobby usually have very expensive archival equipment.

A Lossless/FLAC 1:1 copy of a CD will sound better on a digital medium than a digitized LP, espically compared to anything the internal preamp on one of these units is going to provide.
There are a couple of situations where digitizing a record makes sense to me.

The first might be a little OT; I restore records from my 78 collection. I do so because I can't find a digital copy or the only restored versions are unsatisfactory. Often when restoring, they'll work from a bad copy or use noise reduction too aggressively. Sometimes they try to "improve" by adding reverb!

The same is true regarding LP's. I might digitize an LP unavailable in digital form. Now, almost everything I want to digitize for portability is available digitally.

Most of the time, I just enjoy my LP collection by playing them. Some people think it's a cheap way to make their music portable. It doesn't take long to find out how much time and effort is required to do a proper transcription. I gave up years ago.

These "super OEM" have made a great contribution to bring more people back to LPs. From pricing point, they are entry-level turntables so they are not perfect but very practical choice.

I've found out over the past two nights that my Grado Green tracks better in the Super OEM arm then on my SL-B2's arm. I know these two tables are apples and oranges but they're what I have on hand. On the SL-B2 I could never eliminate IGR from the last track of Side A of Darkness on the Edge of Town, Racing In The Street. Put the disc on my Gemini and I had minimal, if any IGR on that song. That's such a good song. Super OEM wins this one for now.

I've got my Super OEM table out and playing. A Gemini PT2000.

I've just checked that turntable's specs and, with all the due respect (I mean, not trying to imply something "bad" about it), it's not a Super-OEM. A couple "vital" features for being considered a "Super-OEM" turntable (emphasizing the "Super" part) are missing there: Real high motor torque (at least 4.5 kgf.cm) and 78 RPM/reverse playing capabilities. The only Gemini turntable I know that can be considered as "Super-OEM" is the TT 04 (no reverse playing, though), although there's something sort of "dumb" about it unless I'm missing something: It has both a straight DJ-type arm AND an anti-skating control. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand, those straight arms don't need anti-skating adjustment.

Please notice that I'm not belittling your turntable. I'm just clarifying facts since a Super-OEM turntable isn't "just any SL-1200 knockoff". It must meet some specific requirements to deserve that "Super" moniker.

Ah, didn't realize a Super OEM was that specific. Well than I've just got an SL1200 knock-off :p

The only Gemini turntable I know that can be considered as "Super-OEM" is the TT 04 (no reverse playing, though)

My mistake. It has a "Reverse" button near the tonearm base. Putting aside the unnecessary anti-skating control, the Gemini TT-04 is a true Super-OEM turntable.

My mistake. It has a "Reverse" button near the tonearm base. Putting aside the unnecessary anti-skating control, the Gemini TT-04 is a true Super-OEM turntable.

From one of the web sites that use to sell the Gemini( they say it is discontinued)

"The Gemini TT-04 high torque direct drive turntable is the first turntable EVER with 5.0kg/cm CPU-controlled motor system and a rubber dampened magnetic platter. This provides unprecedented quick starts and amazingly stable operating torque. The motor can be adjusted for start and brake by means of convenient, retractable rotary controls, and the unit is also fitted with a straight tone-arm system with height adjustment (up to 6mm)"

Now I'm confused. Straight tone-arm? Thought the super OEMs were essentially Technics SL1200 copies. That's what mine is and that's why I got confused.

Now I'm confused. Straight tone-arm? Thought the super OEMs were essentially Technics SL1200 copies. That's what mine is and that's why I got confused.

They supposedly are "SL-1200 knockoffs on steroids" (the AT-LP120-USB isn't, for instance), which are essentially built by the same factory and sold to different manufacturers that put their own touch to them. Stanton, for instance, has two different versions of Super-OEMs: The ST.150, with an S-shaped tonearm, and the STR8.150, with a straight tonearm (and no anti-skating control). The Numark TTXUSB has interchangeable (straight and S-shaped) tonearms. They offer that option because the straight tonearm has undoubtedly better, more solid performance in the "no skipping" department (an enticing feature for a DJ), but it doesn't sound that good because of its geometry, not to mention that it can destroy your records if you use it with an elliptical stylus.

So, the Super-OEMs with straight tonearms can be called "SL-1200 knockoffs on steroids specifically and explicitly aimed to DJs".

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up Hail Vinyl. It makes my silly turntable even sillier now that it doesn't fit into that category! :D :)

C.E.C - Cosmo Techno, do they qualify too? :scratch2:
http://www.cec-web.co.jp/products/cosmotechno/index.html

With a 2.0 kgf-cm motor torque, I don't think so. Not that a high torque is the ultimate thing, but that "torque excess" of 4.5 kgf-cm is an integral part of what makes a Super-OEM TT. That's why I didn't include the Vestax PDX-3000 in the list (although it has a much better W&F specification according to the manual). The Cosmo Techno is an OEM turntable (without the "Super" prefix).

Last edited:
Stanton ST-150 Mapleshade

All: While I am not interested in the Stanton ST-150, I really like the optional maple base from Mapleshade. I have a Rega Planar 2 and a Project Debut III. I would like to put them in such a base. Does anyone know where I can buy the?

... Still, I'd love to have a Technics SL-1200MK2 just for the sake of getting rid of the frustration of never owning one, but right now I don't feel that I really need it.

Apologies for the long post. Finding this thread made me feel like venting my feelings about this sensitive subject. Thanks for reading!

You don't really need it :D You just want it. If I find one in a driveway somewhere at a garage sale I'll grab it of course. But it's not a necessity.

Having a working stereo is more important than a particular model of any one component.

And I also congratulate you on your command of written English. It can be a bitch at times, but you have it down pat :)

And I have been very happy with my AT PL120 (predecessor to the current models) for about 4 or 5 years now. It does yeoman duty and spins 78's very well. I hope you'all have a good a luck with yours :)

Last edited:
And I also congratulate you on your command of written English. It can be a bitch at times, but you have it down pat :)

And I have been very happy with my AT PL120 (predecessor to the current models) for about 4 or 5 years now. It does yeoman duty and spins 78's very well. I hope you'all have a good a luck with yours :)

I appreciate your kindness. Thank you very much! And my feelings about my Numark TTXUSB haven't changed (for bad, at least). Still consider it a solid performer and makes me feel very happy. :)

Back
Top Bottom