Super rare find today! Planar SR2100

Wow! That looks like a positive steal for $20. :yes: :thmbsp: Besides the obvious, it those endboards are really solid wood, not veneered, that's another unusual indication of quality. Nice looking transformer, decent-sized caps for a mid-powered receiver, too.

I've seen one or two "Planar" units before, but assumed it was a so-so or "off" brand. Next time I see one, I'll look more closely! :yes:

Hi, I have a Planar SR2100 as well. I got it from a friend who had picked it up new in 1976. I have the original user manual/spec sheet, if that is of use.

I've been using the receiver for a couple of years and am very pleased with the performance. I use it to drive some pretty heavy speakers which today's home theatre system can't touch....the sound is fantastic.

Recently, the FM demod IC threw in the towel and when I went to replace it, I could not read the lettering....it had evaporated over the years.

Thank-you very much for posting the pictures as I could read the IC number. If you are having any problems with the FM stereo circuitry, I would replace the IC and see if it corrects the problem. You can pick it up for under $4 and just drop it in since it is socket mounted.

Again, thanks a lot!!!!

Glad it helped out!

I wouldn't mind a copy of the user manual... if you happen to have a scan. :D I've not solved the stereo issue yet.

P-S: I should re-visit my threads more often...

nice find. i love obscure receivers like that.

plannar made some interesting stuff. i had 486 computers that wehere built into a fat keyboard made by plannar and also orange plasma displays that where plannars.

Benz said:
...there are connections for 6 speakers at the back, and they are labeled "Main", "Remote" and "Rear". I wonder what the difference is between "Remote" and "Rear"... since this is not a quad receiver.
Any guesses?
And this is only a guess, had it been an actual hypothesis you would have been told to.. but anyway, it's just possible that the Rear speakers are a Hafler pair, being fed L-R and R-L difference signals. That would cost almost nothing and give the non-quad buyer something for his rear speakers to do. "Remote" sounds to me like the speakers you wire up in the bathroom or basement.

What does the owner's manual say?

And this is only a guess, had it been an actual hypothesis you would have been told to.. but anyway, it's just possible that the Rear speakers are a Hafler pair, being fed L-R and R-L difference signals. That would cost almost nothing and give the non-quad buyer something for his rear speakers to do. "Remote" sounds to me like the speakers you wire up in the bathroom or basement.

What does the owner's manual say?

I am still looking for the manual - looks like AvalonPen has a copy, maybe he/she
can chime in? :scratch2:

wualta: I was not familiar with the concept of "Hafler" circuits... I looked it up and found a few interesting links:
http://www.broadstuff.com/archives/102-MyPCTV-sound-and-the-Hafler-Principle-getting-good-quality-surround-sound-on-a-budget..html
http://sound.westhost.com/project18.htm

This seems neat - at least in principle!

how ironic to come home from morning hockey and see this thread : I grew up in Kitchener ...yes Electrohome was about a "Lloyds" level of electronics back in the day ...but at the very end of their consumer lives they were trying to stay alive by trying some new ideas : PLANAR was one of them : a top end hi-fi line to compete with the likes of pioneer and company ...I think most people couldnt get over the Electrohome connection ( a little like Technics with Panasonic) ...it was really good stuff : no skimping ...but , alas , too little too late ....talking to a friend about old vinyl at the game this a.m. he says "I have an old planar receiver" ...got talking about it and he claims that when he bought it ('74-ish) he was told that there was a McIntosh link in the design of it ...some sort of collaboration ......anyone know of this ? BTW : there were also speakers made for the line and I am unsure of who made them.. if they were re-badged or made by Electrohome (there were plenty of speaker man. in that area back then / PSB for one) or what components were in them ....I've seen a pr and they look like Cambridge drivers (would have made sense as Cambridge was 15 minutes away from the plant ...but I am unsure of whether Cambridge was manufacturing that early ....'76 yes : I was there .....not sure ab out '74 though) ...interesting Canadian story for the vintage lovers

very cool, thanks for the additional info barkerd! The Planar story is coming together piece by piece...

Would you buddy happen to have the manual still? :naughty:

Looks like a Sansui xx1 series receiver and a Marantz 22xx receiver got together, got married and had this as their offspring. Meters look very Marantz as does the chassis and faceplate cursive script. The cover and knobs look Sansui-ish. Kinda has a resemblance to Sui x0x0 models a little bit too. Maybe it was an extra-marital affair? Nice receiver!

I've seen the brand at a local Cash Converter a couple of years ago and it was up in the air if I took it. It felt like it might be interesting but I'd never heard of the name and AFAIK, it might have just had a brick cemented inside.

This seems neat - at least in principle!
Oh, it works. It's not always fantastic, but it does a surprisingly good job. I generally use one Hafler speaker, putting it on the floor and letting the sound wash over the rear wall.

Electrohome Planar 2100 receiver

I got two of those Electrohome receivers, and I could tell you that they are VERY VERY well make. I my opinion, they are between the Marantz and the MAC in quality. If you get a chance to open one up, you will find the the sheet metal is twice as thick as the Pioneer, or Yamaha brand. Not just the thickness of the sheet metal, but the inside chassis are painted like a 57 Chev. Also, every transistor in those units are Motorola trans. With those Motorola Trans, it got almost a MAC sound to them.The only Japanese trans are in the tuner section. The pre-and the power amp section transistors are all pluck ins with sockets. As for the sound ,they are just as good as the Marantz stuff. Unfortunately these units got build, but never make it to market. So, all that was produced in Canada was sold to the emplyees for a song. If you ever see one on Ebay, grap it. But be for warn that these units are as heavy as the Marantz 2325. I have both the Marantz 2325 and the Electrohome 2100, and the sound are almost the same. I think the Marantz tuner is better. Otherwise, if you could get it cheaper the a Marantz, it would be a steal.

Planar 4080

i see these are old threads and iam new here and i will try posy a pic of my Planar 4080 receiver

Attachments

• Planar 4080(Electrahome) receiver.jpg
    Planar 4080(Electrahome) receiver.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 194
i see these are old threads and iam new here and i will try posy a pic of my Planar 4080 receiver

Very cool - do you have any more pics / details?

(I know, I should probably check my own thread more often :scratch2: )

Electrohome Planar SD-2100, SA-2100

I got two of those Electrohome receivers, and I could tell you that they are VERY VERY well make.

Would someone tell me which of the 3 small predriver transistors is a PNP #808-12 and which ones are NPN #806-12? (they are positioned in a row like)
You would have to take alook at the amplifier board. That would help a lot while I am looking for a full schematic
Les
lezco266@bell.net

Back
Top Bottom