Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

Thank you, SWL.

May have to spring for this.
I bought one (this thread actually got me off the fence) and have not regretted it, this is a nice little DAC regardless of cost. Once you get one there are so many ways to easily tailor the sound with different opamp/tube combinations. If you want to listen to DSD or other ultra-hi res formats, this probably isn't the DAC for you, but for stuff up to 96/24 I am very happy with its performance. I listen to a lot of analog, and while I won't say the D2 has an "analog" sound, I can listen to it for hours without listening fatigue.

I bought one (this thread actually got me off the fence) and have not regretted it, this is a nice little DAC regardless of cost. Once you get one there are so many ways to easily tailor the sound with different opamp/tube combinations. If you want to listen to DSD or other ultra-hi res formats, this probably isn't the DAC for you, but for stuff up to 96/24 I am very happy with its performance. I listen to a lot of analog, and while I won't say the D2 has an "analog" sound, I can listen to it for hours without listening fatigue.
I was able to try out around 40 very high quality recorded DSD files. They play flawlesly on the D2. I can not comment on the differences between 96 khz and 192 khz, but what I've experienced is that the quality was amazing. It took my tube amp and speakers to whole new level.

I was able to try out around 40 very high quality recorded DSD files. They play flawlesly on the D2. I can not comment on the differences between 96 khz and 192 khz, but what I've experienced is that the quality was amazing. It took my tube amp and speakers to whole new level.
Perhaps I am using DSD in the wrong way/context (my bad), what I meant to say is that the stated capability of the DAC is up to 96/24 resolution, not sure how downsampling is handled if you feed it something higher-res (which I do not have), apparently it works well from your experience. Glad yours sounds great, mine does too.

Yes, thats correct, simply swap op-amps and/or tubes. i just got one of these DACs and really like it

hi
great mod/review :thumbsup:
after reading almost everything about it i orderd and just got the opamp and tesla (d-getter)
so i install the items but it sound really really bad... like a metalic sound,this is normal for the first hour untill the burn in or is that something bad?
thanks!

hi
great mod/review :thumbsup:
after reading almost everything about it i orderd and just got the opamp and tesla (d-getter)
so i install the items but it sound really really bad... like a metalic sound,this is normal for the first hour untill the burn in or is that something bad?
thanks!
Definitely not normal. I would recheck your install steps of the opamps and tube.

Definitely not normal. I would recheck your install steps of the opamps and tube.

MANY MANY THANKS!!!
just open my d2 and i guess that when i flip it over the opamp (one of them) get loose ;)
after that it sounded very good but there was some random noise,the spring that holds the bulb was touching the frame so i remove it totally
love the sound! more rich and fast with the warm of the tesla :music:
by the way did you find the burn in affactive in this case of upgrade?
and thanks again

did someone find the Tesla tube a little too bright on the highs? i find it a little too harsh for my headphones (beyer dt1770 pro)
i'm thinking to sell them (got pair) and found somthing with more warm without lossing the detail etc..
i wonder what the diffrence between them to the bendix and 396A LM ERICSSON that i heard some very possitve reviews (or somthing else of course)

Hi I just got the D2 that is now being used as a replacement for a dead sound card. I could kept the op amps from the card and now I am using them on the DAC. Op amps being the Burson V5, just installed them in the D2. Great results so far, these little bugs did not disappoint me when I first installed them in the Xonar STX.

The D2 is way better than my old soundcard. By much? Maybe not night and day difference tho, but it is noticeable by much! I would say this is because of using the same op amps.

Anyway, the case on the D2 will not close at all with the Bursons installed, have you come with a mod or tip to make the case top close tight and sturdy?

*Other thoughts, I also tried the LME49990 SOICs and these guys also do a great job too. See pic.

tmgTqKp.jpg

Thanks in advance.

did someone find the Tesla tube a little too bright on the highs?

Yeah, the Tesla sounded very good but a little to 'tizzy' on top for me.

I also find the Tesla to be a bit bright, but in my case, that's a good thing. My favorite set of tubes in the main amp are too dark otherwise, so it all evens out nicely. Actually why tube buffers are popular - they allow you to fine tune the response of the entire system.

If you're looking for something a bit darker in the Maverick, both '50's and '70's WE 2C51 as well as the original TungSol's should fit the bill.

PS ... anyone want to unload their Tesla, I wouldn't mind having a spare ...

Anyway, the case on the D2 will not close at all with the Bursons installed, have you come with a mod or tip to make the case top close tight and sturdy?

You're aware the Burson's ship with an additional socket adapter installed? Mine did anyway. That pulls right off and gives you another quarter inch of clearance.

Problem being, if you forced the adapter into the chassis socket, you may have loosened up the pin holders. Trick there would be to put a slight bend in each leg before inserting the op amp. Bend them all the same way and you should be able to angle them in, and it'll tighten up as it seats.

Here's an example ... I ended up using one of the old OPA627's elsewhere and the original op amp there had larger pins. You could feel that it was loose going in. The bends worked well and gave a much improved grip.

opa627-bent-legs.jpg

Last edited:
On the D2, two of the three V5's (the ones that are side by side towards the front) fit fine without the adapters, but the one towards the rear of the unit required the adapter, there are components on the board to clear. The cover should still fit, though. It will make contact with the opamps with adapters, but mine still was not hard to fit.

I have some Burson V4 dual opamps (new, never used) if any hotrodders are interested. They are taller than the V4's and are all thru hole parts on the PCB's, no SMT.

Where did you get the Tesla? :D

MANY MANY THANKS!!!
just open my d2 and i guess that when i flip it over the opamp (one of them) get loose ;)
after that it sounded very good but there was some random noise,the spring that holds the bulb was touching the frame so i remove it totally
love the sound! more rich and fast with the warm of the tesla :music:
by the way did you find the burn in affactive in this case of upgrade?
and thanks again

Hi
On eBay,a pair but I have already ordered a Bendix (155$..) so I sell one of the unused Tesla and the other one I keep for a while for comparison

just want to update that i get the bendix 6385,it's sure diffrent form the tesla (was nice also) but i'm pretty sure that it will need some burn in before it really shine,does anyone know about the prieod of time for this?
thanks

i'm pretty sure that it will need some burn in before it really shine,does anyone know about the prieod of time for this?

I don't know but keep us posted......I've heard nothing but praise about that tube. In the meantime I've found a sweet spot with these red and white lettered GE 5 Star 5670's.

Back
Top Bottom