1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

Discussion in 'DACs' started by bce22, Jan 20, 2016.

1. CKDC

CKDC AK Subscriber Subscriber

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. automojo

automojo OurBandCouldBeYourLife Subscriber

Cheez..
    Translator software...….

3. Bonus

Bonus Member

I am the same. I use the d2 every day from TV and computer. Extremely good reproduction with the upgraded duel op amps. I have the Jantzen caps at home and have not soldered them in as yet. Can anyone advise on the method of pulling the main board out so i can unsolder the existing caps and solder the Jantzens into place? Is it difficult to pull the board out? I have not had a good look at it yet. thanks Russ

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  4. SWL3600

SWL3600 Super Member

I use mine all the time and recently bought some more tubes. After 2 years of heavy use, the tube had lost some of it's mojo.

I'm always on the lookout to try/buy something new but this DAC never disappoints with the discrete opamps and NOS tube.

Bonus likes this.
  5. Bonus

Bonus Member

I have the tesla nos tube and the D getter tesla as well at home but have not tried them yet. My preamp and main amp have tubes so it will be interesting to see if a tube change in the dac will change the sound. Bloody tubes everywhere. The sparkos opamps made a big difference

6. StimpyWan

StimpyWan AK Subscriber Subscriber

My XIANG SHENG DAC has been reliable for years. Great sounding too. The swapped op-amps and tubes definitely made a difference. I tied a couple to tubes, but the standard recommendation of the JAN GE5670W works very well. Open and extended. Not too much tube goodness. Still, I'm curious as to how other tubes work out? Not that I feel the need to change.

I'd like to get another one of these DAC's. They're killer for the price. I keep mine at work, for headphone listening. It's never been used at home! That's why I'm thinking about another one. But, I have to admit, the Monoprice Monolith DAC is looking very interesting as well. Tubes and ESS Sabre DAC chips. That's a nice combination. Just wish the price was closer to the Maverick.

Monolith DAC

7. Guillaume53

Guillaume53 New Member

Cannot agree more with you ! especially, when i upgraded the 1.8 uF WIMA output caps to 1uF, YES 1uF, last night .. soundstage, highs, texture, decay of notes, detail, microdetail - to all new level, especially when compared to my trusted for long time iFi DAC.

And a quick edit : There is no need to absolutely match the 2.2uF, or the 1.5uF of the output coupling provided your amp is >10K input impedance. I've upgraded with a small 1uF Auricap, and presently have an integrated with 22K input imp. And I cannot get enough of the D2 right now and using its SS output - as already shared above. If your speakers start at 60Hz or so, of if you consider your setup too bass heavy, you may be able to do even with 0,47 uF

I am very interested to hear if the 0.1uF across pins 4 and 8 in the op amps is a good thing for the OPA627s, or only for the Bursons / Sparcos ..

Over

Another edit and shame on me : The large output caps are for the valve out .. They are directly on the RCAs. The small ones, i suspect (too lazy to take out the PCB again and measure this) - are dedicated to the SS out. I've switched to listening exclusively to the GE valve out

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  8. automojo

Wow!
    Cool!
    I picked up a mint early model Rega Planet, and it has the same smooth sound as the Maverick.
    I also use it as a transport through my Metrum Acoustics NOS DAC.
    Can’t say which I like best..the Metrum it’s probably the most refined sound but they all sound good!! it’s fun to have some variety!
    Thanks music listening much more enjoyable
    Instead of a chore that seem to be listening to CDs/ digital.

9. EyeGee

EyeGee Big Ears Subscriber

I replaced my Maverick with a Rega DAC. The Maverick developed a noisy channel. Quite happy with sound of Rega DAC and its 5 changeable filters.

10. automojo

Interesting. Did you try a tube swap? The Maverick do run warm. Especially with a vintage Tesla tube. Haven't had a single problem yet thankfully!
    Wonder how the new Rega Dac compares with the Planet. Seems like they would sound quite different. While the Planet doesn't really sound "analog", its the closet I have heard from a digital source. IMHO nothing analog tops a reel tape deck. Even a entry level Akai sounds better then most turntable setups I have run across in terms to rhythm and drive, and that "big" analog sound, if that makes sense.
    Bottom line for me, is the Planet, Maverick, or a good NOS Dac, really frees you from the digital blues. IMHO, music listening and real listening enjoyment, (especially over and extended period of time) isn't about the highest possible resolution obtainable. It's about the presentation.

Audiofreak71 and Goggle1824 like this.
  11. EyeGee

EyeGee Big Ears Subscriber

I'd agree.

Yes, swapped tubes on my Maverick as well as op-amps. Wasn't able to get a Tesla, but did use a 5 star WE.

I gradually became convinced that, for me, a "ladder" DAC was the most ear-pleasing in my set-up. While the Rega isn't this, it is a "non-upsampling" DAC with a choice of 5 different filters. I usually stick to the #4 option (linear phase "apodizing"). However, I only use my DAC with redbook CDs.

I've a yen to hear the new HoloAudio Spring ladder DAC, but not sure I could pull that kind of price right now.

12. automojo

Sure.
    I picked up a Metrum Octave awhile back, and really enjoy it. It's more refined then the DAC Box S Fl, but each has it's place. I could live with any of them. The original Planet sounds smooth like the Metrum Octave, but slightly leaner in the bass, and a bit more laid back. Both are well balanced. The DAC Box S Fl has a richer bass and midrange. All are extremely easy to listen to over long periods. I like with all, your focus is the music, not the equipment.

13. VintageRoger

VintageRoger New Member

Hi, I have added the output capacitors like you recommend, they perform superb, BUT, the tube got blow out, I mess up two tubes, the tube looks too hot for me, I am currently using the solid state output and sounds amazing......

14. VintageRoger

VintageRoger New Member

Hi, I have do the upgrade to the output capacitors, but I got two tubes blowed, they miss the tubes right away, I am currently using the SS output witch still working normally, but they sound really cool......

15. BigElCat

BigElCat Mmm Hmm Subscriber

We put a D2 an into informal comparison test.

It held its own against my upgraded MusicHall 25.3, and a Grant Fidelity (11).

I'm intrigued enough: I'd like to hear one through my Sansui / ADS system.

(hint to GuyOrns)

kurtgo dac shootout.JPG
    Kurtgo had the ClassDaudio amp in the mix at the time.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  16. SWL3600

SWL3600 Super Member

I'm assuming the D2 was stock? A stock D2 was enough to hook me but the discrete opamps and finding a tube that suited my taste is was really took the D2 to another level for me. I even bought a second one as a back-up.

I've considered buying another DAC just for the sake of trying another DAC.....but why? This D2's sound quality is great.

17. BigElCat

The D2 had a tube upgrade, and maybe the op amps.

The owner referenced the upgrades we talk about here on AK.

I don't recall clearly what had actually been done.

We didn't arrive at a consensus, or rank order of the three black DACs (music hall, Maverick, and GF).

We did agree that the fourth DAC, a recent TEAC offering was not in the same league as these three. I don't remember the model number of the TEAC for sure. (UD-501 maybe).

18. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Well-Known Member

I've only read the OP and the first page. Has anybody subsequently queried the use of ohms in reference to capacitor values...? As opposed to the farad (or, in this case, microfarads).

Resistance is a secondary specification of a capacitor, but it appears that the OP was referring to 2.2uF caps.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  19. BigElCat

I saw that, and read his "ohms" to mean uF.

Good call.