Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

I have been waiting for my health to improve after having a stroke and I intend to have a friend who is an electrician to give me a hand to put 2 Jantzen caps in place there instead of the stock caps. I have the caps here but wanted a little info before we actually attacked the job. I dont know if anyone can help but any info at all would be greatly appreciated. I have to get to the underside of the board so need to know how hard it is to get to it

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your heath issues.. i’m sure someone can lend a hand for the modification

Can somebody help me out? Sparkos web site has a video that says to determine if an opamp is single or dual chip to search digikey and see if it is listed as 1 circuit or 2. When I search for the opa627 it lists it as 1 circuit or a single. Yet in this thread everyone is using the dual chip. What am I missing?

Can somebody help me out? Sparkos web site has a video that says to determine if an opamp is single or dual chip to search digikey and see if it is listed as 1 circuit or 2. When I search for the opa627 it lists it as 1 circuit or a single. Yet in this thread everyone is using the dual chip. What am I missing?

I'd probably just go with the same Sparkos that everyone here in this thread has ordered and proven to work

Hi All!

After reading your thread and hearing it in the shop, I am considering buying D2 now. Got a few questions:

1. Anyone seen D2+ 192KHz version ever? It was mentioned a year ago here but I cannot see it on Maverick website.
2. Anyone compared D2 (Sparkos+Tesla) to Denafrips Ares?
3. Is it safe to buy OPA627 through this link on ebay? https://www.ebay.com/itm/120763718688 Earlier, here in the thread, one person said it's OK but did anyone else try those?

Last edited:
Bought me upgraded D2 and enjoying its sound immensely. :rockon:I would like to thank everyone in this thread who pointed me to this decision. :beerchug:

I would like to buy WE396A to try it later when I get used to the GE5670 sound. Also would like to buy 5 star GE tube to replace the one I use. Can anyone recommend a good place to look?

Also, how much would tube serve and how can you tell that it's almost expired and then dead? Does the sound deteriorate or it just shuts off?

After reading this thread I just bought a D2 and will be putting in the Sparko op amps.
Now to get me a few nice tubes.
Thanks to all for all of the info in this thread.

EDIT: I just ordered my Sparkos a few min. ago and they have already shipped.......
Now that's the fastest shipping I have ever seen.
Can't wait to hear what you guys have been talking about. :banana:

Last edited:
So I have been looking at picking up a Tesla tube and notice that all the tubes on Eplay come from either the Ukraine or the Czech Republic or Thailand. Has anyone dealt with any of these sellers with good results?
Where do you guys get yours???
I contacted Bryce and asked him first if he had one of these tubes and he didn't.
I tried to PM sKIZo as well to ask him but was unable to PM him.

Last edited:
Well I just got my D2 and it sounds really nice in stock form. I have the Sparkos but want to wait to install them until I get my new WE395A O getter tubes in a few days. That way I just have to go in there once. (I opted for the O getter vs the D getter due to my budget at this time)
I would sure like to get a Tesla or a WE D getter tube some day to try out.
But for now I'm happy and getting used to the music it's putting out and really looking forward to hearing the upgrades next week.

So I just installed the Sparkos and a WE 396A O getter into the D2. So far it sounds great but I am sure that after the break in period things will sound even better. Installing the Sparkos wasn't hard at all, I just had to straighten a few of the pins and in they went.
Tip: Make sure the pins are all straight before you try to install them.
I am looking for a Tesla D getter and will put that in when and if I find one. (I see a few on Eplay but they are coming from Thailand or Moscow and I am not sure if I really trust getting them from either place. The sellers have good feedback so maybe I am worried for nothing)

Still rocking my D2 with Sparkos and Telsa Bucky Badger you will love it.
I think I got the tube oversees maybe eastern europe, probably your only option as it was manufactured in Europe not imported or sold in the US.

It still sounds brilliant after 5 years of service.

I replaced the BNC with a coax since I needed an extra coax input.

Get that 6CC42 tube!

Thanks for the info. Now did you get the D getter Tesla? I see a lot of O getter Tesla's and don't know if it makes a ton of difference, (or if I could hear the difference) between the D vs O.

I can't remember which Tesla pinched waist type I tried but it was a little tizzy on top. Sounded nice but it was enough to keep me looking for a different tube.

Back
Top Bottom