Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

Kind of off topic, but I've found the "nuclear solution" for DEQ here. Started playing with Room EQ Wizard here a bit back. Software's free, and only a couple hundred bucks for the hardware allows you to do what once took a whole herd of tech types. Calibrate your test gear, run a few frequency sweeps, and push the go button to create custom filters based on your exact room results. Add a room curve, export to a WAV or text file, and import those into jRiver Media Center's "convolution kernel". Last time you'll ever have to screw with EQ unless you make significant changes in your system.

That handles all the digital stuff ... you still need a good PEQ for your analog sources. Got that covered with a Technics SH 9010. A bit more difficult and not quite as accurate due to a limited number of control sets, but you can use the same filters created in REW to set the controls quite accurately. Took a while to pick the filter sets that made the most difference, and some tweaking in the beginning to get the analog controls on the SH 9010 juuuuuust right, but haven't had to touch that since either.

Goes without saying, the closer the raw room is to "right" before you start adding EQ, the better. REW is also handy for that. Add a baffle, trap, or absorber, run a couple test sweeps, see where you are, tweak, repeat as needed. Law of diminishing returns applies ... you'll get to a point where EQ, PEQ, or DEQ makes more sense, but it won't have to work as hard fine tuning what you hear.

PS ... here's my test gear ... had the laptop, but that's old with pitiful onboard sound, so add an ADC (Behringer UCA202). A mixer to provide phantom power for the mike and basic room matching, and an SPL meter to get there.

rta-eq-setup.jpg

The software pic'd is actually TrueRTA, which is what I started with. That works, but REW is more versatile, and did I mention free? The graph may look a bit ragged, but that's one third octave at 0.5db resolution. If I remember right, that's a sweep testing the control settings for the SH9010, and I wouldn't expect perfect in any case. The jRiver results are much smoother, but the DEQ uses a LOT more filters to adjust the output.

... and a Dayton EMM6 calibrated mike. Already had the stand.

dayton-emm6.jpg

Anyway ... your fault for mentioning EQ, as I'm a bit rabid about what it can do. I now return control of your television set ... <G>

It's all relative....and hey, if you want to make your TubeMagic sound better.....EQ it digitally. If I want to take some of that 'tiz' out of the Tesla tube I just have to make a minor cut at or around 12k. This is what I'm floored by....using digital manipulation with my rebuilt vintage solid state and tube gear. The results are kick ass. I mean, having this ability to tweak this and tweak that whether it's rolling a tube or an op-amp...DSP...room treatments....big ass horn loaded subwoofers that are so damn clean and accurate....it's all good and sounds every bit of analog than anything I've ever had. Sheeeit.....I can even make 320kbps files sound really, really good.

Thanks to bce22 for this thread, I had already rolled the tube to a 396A and loved the sound but the sparkolabs upgraded has made a real difference, the music just has more reality to it the soundstage is better and there is more detail on tracks with complex rhythms.

... starting to see a trend here ... <G>

PS ... everybody who's using the Sparko op amps, please mention which TubeMagic you're using them in. As mentioned earlier, I only need one for the D1+ as I don't use headphones.

Thanks to bce22 for this thread, I had already rolled the tube to a 396A and loved the sound but the sparkolabs upgraded has made a real difference, the music just has more reality to it the soundstage is better and there is more detail on tracks with complex rhythms.

Hey Betancourt welcome to the crew!

I find the Sparkos OpAmps made a huge difference in the DAC in my system. That is with my smaller room system with a Fisher KX200 and Wharfedale W90s as well as my main system which is a Scott 299b and Klipsch Cornwalls. I love the DAC! For the first time I enjoy listening to digital music almost as much as vinyl. 4 months ago I wouldn't have thought that possible.

I upgraded from a HRT Music Streamer II as a reference.

Truly I didn't think less than 500 bones invested into digital could have this much impact.

Color me impressed!

SO......... Any other tubes you rolling besides the WE396A?

The Western Electric/Sparkos combo has really hit a sweet spot in my system. I ordered another WE 396A/2C51. I'll put it in the other D2 with the OPA 627 op-amps and do a side-by-side comparison. Should be fun.

I don't know for sure but it sure seems like the D2 with the Sparkos has developed an improved fidelity now that it has more time on it. I'm getting to the point of tweaking/tube rolling that I'm forgetting what I've tried and haven't tried....but I'm certain the WE/Sparkos combo is smooth and dynamic to the point that it's hard to stop listening.

Hey Betancourt welcome to the crew!

I find the Sparkos OpAmps made a huge difference in the DAC in my system. That is with my smaller room system with a Fisher KX200 and Wharfedale W90s as well as my main system which is a Scott 299b and Klipsch Cornwalls. I love the DAC! For the first time I enjoy listening to digital music almost as much as vinyl. 4 months ago I wouldn't have thought that possible.

I upgraded from a HRT Music Streamer II as a reference.

Truly I didn't think less than 500 bones invested into digital could have this much impact.

Color me impressed!

SO......... Any other tubes you rolling besides the WE396A?

Appear from the 396A, I only have the GE upgrade tubes that I bought with the D2. I did purchase a spare 396A, but I have been thinking about trying the Tesla and I have read that the Raytheon windmill better tubes are pretty good. Just waiting to find some for a good price. But I really like the 396A. What have you found to be best?

I did some extensive listening comparisons as well as rolling everything back and forth....back and forth. In my system this is what I've settled on so far. It has been really convenient having two units to do the comparisons:

1. The WE tube sounds best with the Sparkos.
2. The GE tube sounds best with the OPA627's. (Ryan knew what he was doing!)
3.The WE tube as well as the Tesla sound a little thinner in the midrange making the hi end sound a little more prominent.....giving the impression that the sound is somewhat smoother and more detailed.....more fluid. This is the overall sound with the Sparkos.
4. The GE tube has a fuller bodied midrange without losing any sizzle on top and having a slightly more rubust sound overall. This is the overall sound with the OPA627's.

So for me it's a toss-up. If I'm in the mood for a more fluid, slightly more transparent, lighter on it's feet, less bodied sound I'll listen to the D2 with the WE/Sparkos combo.

If I'm in the mood for a more full bodied, more weight to the music without losing one bit of detail with a crisper top end I'll listen to the D2 with the GE/OPA627 combo.

Something that is worth mentioning over and over is that I had the same experience with both of these units......break-in time is a good 50 hours before the D2 does it's thing. At least 50 hours. I had Spotify Premium playing around the clock while I was asleep and while I was away to speed up the process.

I don't think any of the combinations sound bad. In fact, they all sound good just some better than others. Plenty of break-in time is critical.

Hi guys. It's nice to see this thread. I'm in the market for DAC right now and i'm so confused and overwhelmed! Too many DAC's around!!!

I've been looking around for budget dacs for $200-$300 and i've seen a lot with better specs and features than the D2.
Have any of you know the entry level DAC from Audio GD?
Audio GD NFB 11? This would stretch my budget to atleast $375 (Local Distro). I'm also looking at TEAC UD301 which is around $400-$450... These two DAC's are newer than the Tubemagic D2 and the specs are likely much better but my question is do i really need those features? DSD, DXD, 32bit / 384K Sabre ES901832bit / 384K Asynchronous Transfer USB-32 Chip, etc...

Audio GD NFB 11 http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm
TEAC UD 301 http://www.teac.com/product/ud-301/

I'm only using Mp3's and Flac. My system is quite simple. Nad 326Bee as my poweramp + Marantz 7 clone preamp and MA BX2 speakers and the source would be from the PC/Laptop. What i like with these newer DACs are the features so i could focus on upgrading the amps on my audio chain. What i like with the D2 is the tube feature. I kinda liking tubes lately because of my preamp. Now, i don't know what to do.. :D

The D2 right now is on SALE. I'm very tempted to hit the button..

Hey Filmguerilla,

i haven't used the Audio GD nor TEAC DACs so I really can't comment on how the Maverick Audio DACs compare. All I can tell you is that the D2 is a major upgrade over the HRT Music Streamer II. I think it sound phenomenal and I love how I can have it connected to two amps at a time using both the tube out and normal out. It has all of the features that I want and being able to swap tubes and even OpAmps to tailor the sound makes this quite the versatile little DAC.

Good luck in your search for better digital music!!!

The versality is what i like with the Tubemagic D1/D2.. Especially the tube rolling. But how about the spec compare to other new DACs? Would it really be important/necessary to have those features for my setup?
Like the DSD, DXD 32bit / 384K rate? This is quite confusing for me. Hahha

Hey Filmguerilla,

i haven't used the Audio GD nor TEAC DACs so I really can't comment on how the Maverick Audio DACs compare. All I can tell you is that the D2 is a major upgrade over the HRT Music Streamer II. I think it sound phenomenal and I love how I can have it connected to two amps at a time using both the tube out and normal out. It has all of the features that I want and being able to swap tubes and even OpAmps to tailor the sound makes this quite the versatile little DAC.

Good luck in your search for better digital music!!!

For someone who listens to mp3 and Flac files I think not. I have very very view 24/192K files so I really don't miss not have 192K with the D2. I can't imagine having 32bit/384K files as the file size must be absolutely immense! A single 24/192K album measures in the GBs.

Thanks Bce22. I contacted Mav Audio already. I hope i could get the 40 off! :D Still waiting for funds.

For someone who listens to mp3 and Flac files I think not. I have very very view 24/192K files so I really don't miss not have 192K with the D2. I can't imagine having 32bit/384K files as the file size must be absolutely immense! A single 24/192K album measures in the GBs.

Been listening to the D2 with the GE/OPA627's almost exclusively for the last couple of days. Today I decided to roll some Sylvania tubes that bce22 sent me. Wow, it has become very evident how much smoother the D2 is with the Sparkos op-amps. Every tube I roll into the D2 with the Sparkos is soooo much smoother because of the discrete op-amps. With all the experimenting I've been doing, sometimes I forget which D2 is which.....and that's a good thing because it helps honestly evaluate what the heck I'm doing. Honestly, the Sparkos are smooth as butter. :)

Anyone know what email does Ryan usually use for clients? Sent them email no answer yet. Looks like they are still on vacation.. I hope i could get this DAC before the sale ends!

info@mav-audio.com

Always worked for me. Might want to remember they're half a world away ...normal business hours here ain't normal there, eh.

Long as we're spending money, any thoughts on swapping into one of their discrete voltage regulators? Not socketed like the op amps, so some soldering involved, but I'm assUming it'd be a simple plug 'n pray otherwise, and that any feedback regulation would also be handled by the board ...

PS ... I popped a note off to Ryan and will post back with any response.

SS78XX-300x300.jpg

http://sparkoslabs.com/product/ss78xx-discrete-voltage-regulator/

Three versions available for different pinouts, but looks like the D1+ would need their ss78xx version to replace the stock L7806CV. Not sure what they run in the D2 ...

Last edited:
He might be on holiday celebrating the Chinese New Year. That is a 2 week party. Very little gets done in China during this event.

Last edited:
Thanks man.. I'm in Iran actually. Need to talk to him for shipment and payment method that's why. :D

I'll wait for a few days.

info@mav-audio.com

Always worked for me. Might want to remember they're half a world away ...normal business hours here ain't normal there, eh.

Long as we're spending money, any thoughts on swapping into one of their discrete voltage regulators? Not socketed like the op amps, so some soldering involved, but I'm assUming it'd be a simple plug 'n pray otherwise, and that any feedback regulation would also be handled by the board ...

SS78XX-300x300.jpg

Three versions available for different pinouts, but looks like the D1+ would need their ss78xx version to replace the stock L7806CV. Not sure what they run in the D2 ...

info@mav-audio.com

SS78XX-300x300.jpg

Good looking sKIZo! I'd be down with soldering in a new voltage regulator. If you can find out how the D2 voltage regulator differs let me know.

Back
Top Bottom