Surf music anyone?

Yeah, I dig Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet...in fact, I have a compilation that has a whole lot of cool contemporary surf music with them, the Mermen, Man Or...Astroman!, and more...I'll post more info when I can find it...I remember, it was called Beyond the Beach:

178240.jpg

Dr. Strangelove said:
The Aqua Velvets
The Neptunas
The Astronauts
The Challengers
The Shadows

And, if you want to hear the best surf guitar of today, it comes from none other than Junior Brown. Take a listen to his "Surf Medley" on his Semi-Crazy CD. In concert, he ends each of his shows with a surf medley, which is some of the most "stinging" surf you have ever heard.

Doc

Ditto on Junior Brown's Semi Crazy, and how about "Joe The Singing Janitor", I love that one too. The only other surf in my collection is the soundtract from Blazing Longboards. I got it because the local college station was playing the Mermen and I had to get the song.

hellhound94 said:
wilke87 is right! In many minds, Dick Dale is the guy that started it all. Keep in mind that he's getting up there in years...see him while you can. We've already lost Link Wray!
I missed a chance to see DD in DC almost two years ago. I read up on him and his young son, maybe 15 now, is ready to take over the family business. :D He is supposed quite the guitar player and tours with dad.

Jack Lord said:
Those of you in SoCal should check out the Insect Surfers. Used to be a DC based surf (with a new wave sensibility) band. They moved out to LA years ago and restrict themselves to that region. Their album art alone is worth a viewing.

http://www.insectsurfers.com/

I saw them in DC back in the day. I have their first LP with the Nazz cover on it. My boss bought one of their Farfisas.

I don't think anybody's mentioned The Ziggens yet.

Well, let me mention The Ziggens.

They're well worth a mention.

i love this surfin cd i have with jenny mccarthy on the cover.

forget the exact name of it but pipeline is on it.

How about David Allen and the Arrows, the ones that did the soundtrack music for the biker movies in the sixties. The did "Wild Angels", with Peter Fonda and Nancy Sinatra and had the insturmental hit with "Blues Theme." Anyone remember them?

Brian Wilson
Royal Festival Theatre
London, England
30 January 2002

Last edited:
Anyone here like surf music? I do. I go through phases, where it's all I want to listen to. It's not my favorite music, but sometimes I crave it.

Los Straitjackets
Satan's Pilgrims
Laika and The Cosmonauts
The Ghastly Ones
The Ventures
Dick Dale
Link Wray
The Mermen

I heard some stuff by Evan Foster ( Boss Martians) today on Sirius. Pretty cool. Whaddya guys think? :banana:
Wow, Satan's Pilgrims. I didn't know anyone else was aware of them. Bought their first disc years ago in Portland OR, was gonna get rid of it recently but decided to give it a listen and found out it's really pretty good.

wilke87 is right! In many minds, Dick Dale is the guy that started it all. Keep in mind that he's getting up there in years...see him while you can. We've already lost Link Wray!
I agree... Dick Dale is a legend and quite the man in real life. Hot Rod and surf music... Dick Dale absolutely has it going on. Hot Rod and surf are like cousins.
Notice the jab at the Beach Boys... hodads in their 409. Dale actually lived the surfer life.

I added some to the list. I enjoy surf music and have a nice collection.

Alan Jenkins & the Thurston Lava Tube
Apemen
Aqua Velvets
Astronauts
The Beach Boys
Blue Hawiians
Blue Stingrays
Bruce & Terry
Centurians
Challengers
Chantays
Cornells
Dave Myers and The Surftones
Dick Dale
Dragsters
El Caminos
Fathoms
Fifty Foot Combo
Fireballs
Gary Hoey
Ghastly Ones
Hapa
Hoodoo Gurus
Impacts
Jan & Dean
Jon & Nightriders
Keymen
Laika and The Cosmonauts
Link Wray
Lively Ones
Los Straitjackets
Manatees
Man or Astro-man-
Marketts
Mermen
Moongooners
Neptunas
Phantom Cowboys
Phantom Surfers
Pollo Del Mar
Pyramids
Ramonatures
Red Elvises
Rip Chords
Satan's Pilgrims
Sentinals
Shadows
Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet
Slacktone
Surf Cowboys
Surf Dogs
Surf Punks
Surf Report
Surfers
Surf Stompers
Surf Teens
Surf Trio
Surf Zombies
Surfaris
Trashmen
Truants
Ventures
Wipeouters

I can't relate...

I keep going down to the Mississippi River front looking for those waves I can ride. They need to build bigger barges...

It's a Dick Dale instrumental, so Dick doesn't say it.
...and what does Jimi say in his version? Little bit of irony here...

This is the only Jimi "Third Stone From The Sun" I could find.
What the hell are the Dreamers? Guess I'm showing my age again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom