Surround receiver conundrum?

ccawker

I have 2 subs so i need to upgrade,i was offered this for 200.00(which is a good deal i think

Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V673 7.2

any comments...i am running Klipsch hereseys as my center and fronts plus 2 KSW 12s for the subs and KSB 3.1s for the rears

I have 2 subs so i need to upgrade,i was offered this for 200.00(which is a good deal i think

Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V673 7.2

any comments...i am running Klipsch hereseys as my center and fronts plus 2 KSW 12s for the subs and KSB 3.1s for the rears
What receiver do you currently have ?. Don’t know if the Yamaha you mentioned is really an upgrade over your current receiver without knowing what it is .

Audiofreak71

Well yeah he should tell us what he has. But most likely he has a 5.1 something or another?? And the Yammy is a 7.1., so if that is the case it would be an "upgrade" as far as HT goes. Be sure it at least works before you bring it home. :)

Well yeah he should tell us what he has. But most likely he has a 5.1 something or another?? And the Yammy is a 7.1., so if that is the case it would be an "upgrade" as far as HT goes. Be sure it at least works before you bring it home. :)
My current is a Pioneer VSX 1018 AH-k...7.1

Last edited:
My current is a Pioneer VSX 1018 AH-k...5.1

Not sure why having two subs would require an equipment change, I've used two with equipment from the 70's that were never designed to incorporate a subwoofer.

If this is your current receiver it appears to be a 7.1 from all the info.

pioneer_vsx-1018ah_av_multi-channel_receiver.jpg 33229716-2-1333-BK-3.jpg

Last edited:
how would i hook my second sub to work because i really like this receiver

Not sure of your subs but many allow pass through to another unit. If not it's a simple thing to use a Y connector at the receiver outputs allowing the connection of two subs to one set of outputs.

so,from the 1 sub output,i could put a Y connector in that and run to both subs without any kind of loss?

Absolutely, it's been done a gazillion times. I recently had two stereo amplifiers connected with Y adapters for biamping, along with two subs with more Y adapters. All connected to a Kenwood integrated amp from the late 70's without issue.

Recently moved, hoping to get to setting up the media room today. If so, the one preamp will have two systems connected, one for music with one of my Belles amps, the other for surround with three different stereo amps connected. The music system will have one sub connected, the surround two different subs designed more with HT in mind. The preamp is almost 30yrs old, no dedicated sub out, but the use of adapters makes the whole setup possible.

Hope this helps.

If the Yamaha is actually 7.2 it might be able to do stereo subs which would be nice for music playback, depending on how you're able to position the subs.

I have this yamaha avr. It has two outputs for two separate subs, which is neat and clean although as posted above its easy to hook up dual subs without this... Without knowing what you are looking for its hard to say if this unit is an upgrade over you current model. I found the sound very clean, the music cast interface wonderful and eliminates the need for a streamer and the dsp modes fun....I dont use atmos or rears so i cant comment there

With that said...i wonder if its as powerful as advertised as i feel its a drop under for my ADS towers...which while are pretty sensitive like a bit of power. In other words i dont get that effortless reserve from higher end set up and with external amps. With klipsch i dont think this will be an issue.

OTOH its a 300 + dollar receiver which decodes surround in my 3.1 very well. And sounds very good both with dsp and in direct mode

Final note although i knew this when i bought it , it does not have pre amp outs, so you cant add an external power amp. I thought i would not care as this was a stop gap for a third system...but i like the other functions and sound so well i wish i sprung for a higher end so i could use an external amp.

Id actually consider selling you mine and stepping up to the next level of yamaha with pre amp outs....

Thank you all for the comments...i will try "Y"ing them and see the results.......i suppose i will need a more heavy duty adapter...what do i look for and where would i get one.

Thank you all for the comments...i will try "Y"ing them and see the results.......i suppose i will need a more heavy duty adapter...what do i look for and where would i get one.

I bought mine at The Source here in Canada. You need nothing special. These work perfectly. If you feel better spending more money, Order some from Blue Jeans cable.

That Pioneer AVR looks like a good one BTY, No need to upgrade unless Dolby Atmos is a priority.

Last edited:
I bought mine at The Source here in Canada. You need nothing special. These work perfectly. If you feel better spending more money, Order some from Blue Jeans cable.

That Pioneer AVR looks like a good one BTY, No need to upgrade unless Dolby Atmos is a priority.
Thank you...i already have another good single cable so i "bit the bullet" and ordered a Monster Y cable,maybe 15.00 is too much but i trust the brand.

Personally I don't care how old or obsolete you think your Pioneer is I would never swap for a Yamaha. We sold both for years and the Pioneer was always better. I didn't look up the specs but unless the Yamaha is at least three times as power full driving all channels simultaneously, and the Pioneer is giving you technical difficulties, I would stick the pioneer. Remember 3 times the power is only 4.8 db louder. The plan of using two subs is not for making the sound louder but to get smoother coverage over a larger listening area in the HT mode. If you are going to dedicate the subs for stereo operation, that's another great choice. If you are trying to do both, you may want a 3rd sub for the HT mode of operation. I don't like a mono sub for stereo speakers the bass always seems compromised. Two subs sampling each connect between the pre-amp and power amp section or connected to the speaker lines feeding the front speakers as a secondary choice is my preferred hook up for stereo. Then the third sub can be connected to the LFE channel.

Personally I don't care how old or obsolete you think your Pioneer is I would never swap for a Yamaha. We sold both for years and the Pioneer was always better. I didn't look up the specs but unless the Yamaha is at least three times as power full driving all channels simultaneously, and the Pioneer is giving you technical difficulties, I would stick the pioneer. Remember 3 times the power is only 4.8 db louder. The plan of using two subs is not for making the sound louder but to get smoother coverage over a larger listening area in the HT mode. If you are going to dedicate the subs for stereo operation, that's another great choice. If you are trying to do both, you may want a 3rd sub for the HT mode of operation. I don't like a mono sub for stereo speakers the bass always seems compromised. Two subs sampling each connect between the pre-amp and power amp section or connected to the speaker lines feeding the front speakers as a secondary choice is my preferred hook up for stereo. Then the third sub can be connected to the LFE channel.
yeah...keeping the Pioneer,and i mostly am using the dual subs for movies and concerts on DVD,but i do occassionally put some music on just to listen to the fronts(Hereseys) and subs.I do have a dedicated audio system with a Sansui AU/TU 717,stacked KG4s and Hereseys on the bottom.

Last edited:
yeah...keeping the Pioneer,and i mostly am using the dual subs for movies and concerts on DVD,but i do occassionally i do but some music on just to listen to the fronts(Hereseys) and subs.I do have a dedicated audio system with a Sansui AU/TU 717,stacked KG4s and Hereseys on the bottom.
Current Audio (9).JPG

Back
Top Bottom