SVS a good subwoofer for Heresy III?

monkboughtlunch

What subwoofer models are recommended to complement Heresy III for stereo music listening? Are sealed SVS subs a good choice? Any others?

I have a set of Heresy 1.5's and bought a SVS SB1000 a little over a month ago. My listening space is fairly small so didn't think I needed the power of the SB2000. The SB1000 right out of the box was a little stiff and I was a little disappointed in the strength of the bass. That said, after a week of tweaking(sub woofer position/crossover/phase) and another 20 hours of break-in, the sub sounds fantastic. I have the Low Pass Filter set to just below 80hz and the Gain set to just past 12 o'clock. For jazz & acoustic I lower the gain a hair allowing the sub to perfectly blend into the sound of the Heresy or for rock/r&b I raise it a hair to give you the thump you expect from the genre. The sub has perfectly rounded out the sound of the Heresy and will definitely shake the couch when I crank up the dB's past 80. Is SVS the best, who knows, all I can say is that after their initial break-in, I am very happy with the fast musical bass it has added to my setup.

Last edited:
I use an SVS SB16-Ultra subwoofer with my Klipsch RF-7II. (Left, center, and right are RF-7II, plus an RF-7 for the rear). I also have a Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer in this system. Tube amps. I use this system for hi-res surround-sound recordings of classical music.

I use my Oppo UDP-205 universal player's "bass management" - i.e., a built-in configurable crossover, and a connection for a powered subwoofer. With Oppo's bass management, the low frequencies are off-loaded from the main amp and speakers, thereby facilitating greater overall dynamics.

The plate amp in my SVS SB16-Ultra quit working. SVS provided excellent customer service. They shipped a replacement amp, which was fairly easy to install. I'm satisfied with the SVS SB16-Ultra.

With the 2 powered subs (15" and 16"), I have ample low frequency power for large scale orchestral music.

Back
Top Bottom