Swamp Pop/Cajun/Zydeco

djwhy60

Rat Shack Groupie!
Subscriber
I have always had a eclectic taste in music...from Motown to Hairbands to Rat Pack.....Since moving to Louisiana 6 years ago I found a new one to "love"....I enjoy the traditional French Zydeco to the newer Swamp Pop type. The great thing, there are lots of opportunities to hear live music here. Plus the local stations that play them all. From Wayne Toups to Buckwheat to Jamie Bergeron and the Kickin' Cajuns and Rockin Dopsie....hell..I half tempted to buy an accordian! Anyone else a fan???

I like some Zydeco but I'm really a fan of 1920s-50s Cajun music. I have a few compilation LPs plus some CDs.

002.JPG

I'm a big Sonny Landreth fan. Not straight up zydeco, but there's a heavy influence there.
He's from your neck of the woods, so check him out if you get the chance. I mean check out the left hand in this video. WTF is that?!

One cat that should get mentioned in any Cajun/Zydeco thread is this guy::thumbsup:

http://earlycajunmusic.blogspot.ca/search?q=amede+ardoin

Agreed. I have a compilation album of his recordings - wonderful stuff. We don't seem to get anyone playing up here anymore, but I did see Clifton Chenier and Queen Ida a few times back in the '80's. My first Zydeco concert was Rockin' Dopsie at Dingwall's in Camden (north London) back around '79 or '80. I have a couple of dozen CDs and LPs that I listen to once in a while and always play a couple at parties - pretty much guaranteed to get people up and dancing.

Love this guy. I just haven't heard anyone who can play accordion like Beau Jocque, and that growly voice, and the rest of the band, and the sound quality!

Alas, he left us far too young.

Agreed. I have a compilation album of his recordings - wonderful stuff. We don't seem to get anyone playing up here anymore, but I did see Clifton Chenier and Queen Ida a few times back in the '80's. My first Zydeco concert was Rockin' Dopsie at Dingwall's in Camden (north London) back around '79 or '80. I have a couple of dozen CDs and LPs that I listen to once in a while and always play a couple at parties - pretty much guaranteed to get people up and dancing.
I never got to see Clifton, but I did see his son CJ a few years back.
One of the blues festivals here is really good, and they usually have some zydeco and the like for one of the acts, so I've seen a few great shows over the years.
One was a cajun fiddle player that was fantastic. Tom Rigney, I think?

I love Boozoo Chavis, Amédé Ardoin and Clifton Chenier.

Lots of good LA music. I also like early jazz recordings from New Orleans and local blues guys like Slim Harpo and Robert Pete Williams. Lots of good stuff to listen to down here.

Back
Top Bottom