Swapping transformers

Jeffamy15

Is it possible to swap the transformer of a receiver for a stronger one of a different brand or receiver model, regardless of name brand and specs?

Is it possible to swap the transformer of a receiver for a stronger one of a different brand or receiver model, regardless of name brand and specs?
As long as the transformer secondary windings output the same voltages as the original, higher current capacity is fine and the brand or receiver model doesn't matter.

If the voltages are different, it almost certainly will not work properly.

As long as the transformer secondary windings output the same voltages as the original, higher current capacity is fine and the brand or receiver model doesn't matter.

If the voltages are different, it almost certainly will not work properly.
Oh ok. Thank you.

Not sure where you're going with the question but it won't increase the output of the unit
Then is there any benefit to it at all? I was under the impression that it would have helped provide a more stable supply of power if changed for a better one.

Then is there any benefit to it at all? I was under the impression that it would have helped provide a more stable supply of power if changed for a better one.
Assuming the transformer was suitable for the job in the first place -- which it would be, unless the equipment is unusually poor quality -- then a transformer capable of supplying higher current would only add weight. There would be no other change in performance.

The only case where I regularly see value in power supply upgrades is replacing the wall-warts that come with with low-cost Class D chip amps like those made by Lepy, Lepai, etc. They're often under-specced and only provide enough current for relatively low volume without clipping. A significant upgrade, that will result in higher, cleaner volume, can be had by replacing the wall-wart with a relatively high-current computer power supply or equivalent.

But for most gear, built-in power supplies are more than adequate, as long as the equipment is of reasonable quality to begin with. If it isn't, it's not worth upgrading.

Or for a tube amp where the power supply transformer was marginal to begin with and was operating fairly close to its limits. I can't name one but there are probably a few. Zenith antique radios often had this issue.

Unless it's a specific model of receiver that is known to have that problem, there are probably a score of other things you could put effort into to improve your sound system.

Assuming the transformer was suitable for the job in the first place -- which it would be, unless the equipment is unusually poor quality -- then a transformer capable of supplying higher current would only add weight. There would be no other change in performance.

The only case where I regularly see value in power supply upgrades is replacing the wall-warts that come with with low-cost Class D chip amps like those made by Lepy, Lepai, etc. They're often under-specced and only provide enough current for relatively low volume without clipping. A significant upgrade, that will result in higher, cleaner volume, can be had by replacing the wall-wart with a relatively high-current computer power supply or equivalent.

But for most gear, built-in power supplies are more than adequate, as long as the equipment is of reasonable quality to begin with. If it isn't, it's not worth upgrading.
Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me. I really appreciate the help. I guess I'll be leaving those transformers alone. I have a few receivers and stereo amplifiers and seeing how some have bigger or better transformers than others, it gave me the idea of either switching the ones being in use for those other ones or figuring out a way to add another. But it's probably best I leave them alone, especially with them not having a problem.

Or for a tube amp where the power supply transformer was marginal to begin with and was operating fairly close to its limits. I can't name one but there are probably a few. Zenith antique radios often had this issue.

Unless it's a specific model of receiver that is known to have that problem, there are probably a score of other things you could put effort into to improve your sound system.
Thanks. No, they don't have any problems. I was just looking for ways to improve them. If you can give me any advice about what other things I could do to improve it, I will appreciate it a lot. Like Dave mentioned, I am trying to archive a higher and cleaner volume.

Higher volume usually requires different equipment - either speakers or amps or both.

'Cleaner' can be equipment related too, but it can also be related to the room.

Have you looked at speaker placement in your room, wall treatments, etc.? This is an often neglected arena that can have benefits.

Higher volume usually requires different equipment - either speakers or amps or both.

'Cleaner' can be equipment related too, but it can also be related to the room.

Have you looked at speaker placement in your room, wall treatments, etc.? This is an often neglected arena that can have benefits.
Yeah, I have switched to different stereo receivers, av receivers and speakers set ups and placement but not any wall treatments or anything like that.

List your equipment including speakers and I'm sure we could identify the best place to start with upgrades.
I have a nad 7140, a kenwood kc-106 stereo control amplifier, a kenwood kr-a4070, a samsung ht-x70, a lennox ln-70, and a technics su-v78, and I have a few that ranges from a fisher high fidely stereo component system tad 992, to onkyo, sony, samsung and pioneer receivers but they are not in use (connected), except for a pioneer vsx-d510 that is in my son's room with his own set up.

Speakers sony ss-mf315, kenwood ks 505ht, a pair of modified magnavox mx931ss, and others that are not in use.

Subwoofers, 2 jbc 12" custom cabin, 2 15" toa, 2 acoustic audio 12", a 8" sony sub, 2 6" panasonic, a 10" bww acoustic, 2 pairs of those chrome parlemo, and genesis media lab subs, and (3 12" in the kitchen, 2 are yamaha and 1 a sony, with modified magnavox and technics su-v78), and some other subwoofers but that are not in use.

The speakers and subs not in use range from realistics, to boston, samsung, zenith, sony, lennox, aiwa, philips, onkyo, panasonic, pioneer, and others. And well, the technics su-v78 is in the kitchen separately with the 3 12" that I mentioned, and the modified magnavox speakers, however everything else is connected all together in my room (except for those I mentioned as "not being in use" which I have them outside in my building).

Wow, seems like you have more subs than speakers! Lol! While I can't speak about the electronics in use, I think you can definitely do better with an upgrade to a higher quality set of speakers. Can you post pics of your main system?

Wow, seems like you have more subs than speakers! Lol! While I can't speak about the electronics in use, I think you can definitely do better with an upgrade to a higher quality set of speakers. Can you post pics of your main system?
Yeah, sure

You are in a place a lot of us find ourselves: a lot of working equipment that is pretty much middle of the road. If you were to sell most of that gear you could take a step up in quality to a higher level. Less gear, but better gear. It's very easy to pick up a $50 receiver and a $50 pair of speakers here and there, and next thing you know, you've got several hundred invested, and all of the gear is pretty much the same. Whereas if you put a few hundred into one really nice pair of speakers, you'll forget about virtually all the ones you had.

Unless, of course, you like things how they are, but I get the impression from the start of this thread that you are looking for ways to upgrade your sound.

Back
Top Bottom