Swedish tombstones... aka Rauna concrete speakers

dogwan

Dogwan
How often do these come along?

Yesterday picked up a pair of Rauna Freja bookshelf's.

Hard to find much information on these. You read a lot about the Tyr models and the larger floor standers when you search, but very little on the Freja model.

Solid cast concrete enclosures with all Seas drivers from the late 80's. Supposedly very good components in the crossovers. The drivers are glued into the cabs so I'm not going digging unless I have to.

Brought them home and was at first really disappointed with them. Could tell they image like mad and were very smooth. However, the sound was very anemic. What little I found in my research told me they could go down to about 65hz. But, some quick measurements with a phone app showed them starting to roll off between 85 and 100hz.

I knew I was eventually going to match them up with a sub for the living room set up. So, I pulled a pair of Altec* subs that have been waiting for a re-cap. The first sub stopped working after about 15 minutes. The other one has a 120hz hum from the power supply, but still plays well.

I've barely spent much time dialing in the sub and the sound is incredible. With the lower end filled in you can really appreciate how good the Rauna's sound. Vocals are palpable, almost electrostatic like. Now to start the search for a sub (or two) that will keep up with these.

*The Altec PSW10 (not to be confused with Polk PSW 10's) are interesting beasts too. From the Sparkomatic era (assumed). Sealed design with a 10" carbon fiber driver. Nicely built Walnut cab. I would be surprised if the amps put out more than 50-75 watts. Initial tests tell me they only go down to about 30hz, but they do need a serious re-cap,
20190121_214318.jpg
20190121_214325.jpg
20190121_214332.jpg 20190121_214337.jpg 20190121_214344.jpg
20190121_214415.jpg
20190121_214504.jpg
20190121_214510.jpg
20190121_214802.jpg

Last edited:
I was wondering who picked those up.
Glad you got them and really glad they sound good with a sub.
Heavy lil' suckers I'll bet.
Congrats to ya. They look cool.
Nice TT as well.

Not quite as heavy as you might think.... only 32 lbs each. Definitely no cabinet resonance though. The "rap" test only gets you some light bruising on your knuckles.

Not sure why, but I can't quote messages anymore. Keep getting an error message even though I am signed in.
"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /forums/index.php on this server."

Been trying to sell a pair in the UK for almost a year with zero interest. Very rare, but not particularly desirable.

Back
Top Bottom