Switching Stereo to Mono if No Option on Receiver

JayThay

I just purchased a Kenwood KR-1400, and noticed that there is no way to switch from stereo to mono. Anyone know of how to trouble shoot this? I run my cheap audio technica lp-60 through the receiver and would like the option to play the audio in mono. (I often point one of the speakers into the kitchen while I cook, and don't want to lose an entire channel--thus the desire to switch to mono so I'm hearing all of the music). Thanks!

That LP60 presumably a turntable?

Plug it's RCA leads into a Y connector (2 female jacks to 1 male plug) then connect that to another Y connector (1 female jack to 2 male plugs). Connect the latter's plugs to the phono inputs and you've got mono.

A paper published by RANE suggests that Y-connectors might not be the best way to go. A simple circuit of 3 resistors and 4 RCA jacks would reduce risk of distortion and possible damage to your source equipment.
For your purpose, it could look like this:
summing.png

You could even cut into a pair of interconnect cables and build this right into the cable.

Adding a DPDT switch to the circuit would allow changing between stereo and mono at will, without having to swap cables each time:

summing_sw.png

Oh, and welcome to AK!

Last edited:
I too listen to my AVR in the kitchen which has no mono button. I just listen to it in stereo anyway and for the most part sounds fine.

The y connector is ment to be used to split the signal, Not blend them. Do so at you own risk.

The circuit in the above post might be safer. A version of it might be used for blending L & R channels in sub woofers.

Stereo cartridges are made mono by strapping their +\- pins together. I just mounted a new Shure M78S that had said connectors in place right out of the box.

Combining L and R via Y connectors....same thing.

Here is my understanding of this issue, but I'm no tech expert and I wish someone would straighten me out if I'm wrong:

For actively amplified signals, as from a CDP, Tuner, DAC-analog-outputs, etc, it is best to use a circuit including resistors to derive summed stereo (us. referred to as mono).

For the output of the cartridge itself, the Y-cords are fine, as the signal is generated mechanically.

Now, IIRC (don't feel like looking it up) the table in question has an amplified switchable RIAA circuit. I would think that if it is switched out in preference of using the RIAA phono input of a receiver (preamp, int amp, etc) then the Y-cord is fine, but if using the table's phono preamp, the circuit is preferred. Or strapping the cart itself.

Is this correct?

Last edited:

Attachments

• 84D4A3F3-7BFE-49B4-995E-1F19F0D0CFDA.jpeg
    84D4A3F3-7BFE-49B4-995E-1F19F0D0CFDA.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
A fellow over on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums makes a very nice stereo/mono switch in several styles of enclosure. His user name is xmas111 and I will link to his thread in the For Sale section, but you might have to make an account over there to see it.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/stereo-mono-switch.386061/page-17

Given the prices of those, it may be less expensive to just buy a different used receiver that has a stereo/mono switch. That is what I would do.

Given the prices of those, it may be less expensive to just buy a different used receiver that has a stereo/mono switch. That is what I would do.

$37 seems pretty reasonable to me. Compact size. Not as much risk as buying old receivers that may have problems when you already have one without issues.

Must be an age thing. It never crosses my mind that a turntable since the 1960's might have an on board pre-amp.

They are common on new low-end turntables because so many low-end receivers these days do not have a phono preamp. I tend to forget about this, too, as my phono days were back when preamps/integrated amps/receivers pretty much always had phono preamps built-in, so they did not put phono preamps in turntables. So, yeah, in a way, it is an age thing. Still, the best gear is done with the phono preamp not in the turntable, like in olden times.

$37 seems pretty reasonable to me. Compact size. Not as much risk as buying old receivers that may have problems when you already have one without issues.

I understand the need to charge for materials and labor, and so I understand why such things cost what they do. But I have purchased much better receivers than the Kenwood KR-1400 for less than that. Via thrift stores, craigslist, and ebay. All three. So, I would absolutely not buy that and would instead be looking for another receiver. Of course, JayThay may choose in accordance with JayThay's standards and wishes, and you may choose as you like. But it is not what I would choose, as it is not difficult for someone who is patient to find something better for less.

To get some perspective, the Kenwood KR-1400 is a very low end unit:

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/kenwood/kr-1400.shtml

I would not throw it away, but it is not something I would ever try to find.

Not so sure it's an age thing. Bought my first real TT when it was new, a Thorens TD-165, about '73, I think. I'm not exactly a spring chicken, but just thought I recalled reading a few years ago that the table had such a feature . I no longer even spin vinyl.

Given that their receiver is the heart of their system, their pride and joy, an object of religious veneration, some users may think your suggestion frivolous. Or worse.

Given that their receiver is the heart of their system, their pride and joy, an object of religious veneration, some users may think your suggestion frivolous. Or worse.

It is a recent purchase, so I doubt there is a strong emotional attachment. If he had inherited it from his favorite grandfather, I would have been more concerned about feelings for the unit in making any suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom