SX-1000TW Death Cap

loweran

Sorry this is a redundant post, but I feel it necessary. I just put a re-capped SX-1000TW in my daughters bedroom. Then I read a thread about death caps. In this unit its C14, a ceramic cap. I did not replace this cap. I am out of town.

Should I have my wife unplug the receiver until I can get this corrected?

Also, I suppose this would be a potential issue with other SX receivers with two prong plug, correct? I have three of them.

Last edited:
Ask her to run her hand across the front of the unit with the power off and it plugged in. If she gets a buzzing type shock (she has shoes on) ask her to reverse the plug in the wall socket. If no shock now, it's probably ok for now. But when you get back, yes replace it with a X2 rated .01uf 250vAC or 300vAC Safety cap. See this link for full details on Safety caps. You might want to bookmark it. http://www.justradios.com/safetytips.html

IIRC you also have a 737. It also uses a .01uf cap X2 rated 250 to 300vAC. Note the AC voltage rating. The 737 also uses a 2.2megohm 1/2w resistor from one side to ground for antenna spike protection. Replace with a 1W.

Perfect. Thanks Larry!

I suppose when I get back I could verify which leg on the plug end should be hot and mark it for now until I can get the caps and pull it for the work. I may just wait and do the cap when I pull it to do the main filters.

Last edited:
After reading more to educate myself, it seems that Y capacitors are the ones that run from line to chassis. Those are the ones that if fail create a shock hazard. From what I can see, these pioneers use X capacitors across the line, but I don't see any Y capacitors or line to ground. Is this correct?

If so, does that mean that the risk of electrical shock due to the plug being reversed in the wall and a cap failing is not possible?

If a standard cap in the "X" configuration fails you'll get a dead short across the mains. Hopefully there is a fuse BEFORE the cap or it'll short the circuit and open the circuit breaker at the box, and possibly cause damage internally if the C.B. doesn't open.

You could run a ground wire to the plate screw on your duplex receptacle, until you get around to replacing the cap. Provided your house wiring is not ancient anyway.

Back
Top Bottom