SX-1010 AM I GETTING CLOSE??

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by TigMan, Jan 18, 2019.

1. TigMan

TigMan New Member

Muting board, done
    Protection board, done
    Power supply board, done
    I have the supplies for the equalizer board and the main filter caps from digikey in hand, but thought I'd take a break from soldering and go after the lamps tonight. Any words of wisdom on the process there? I thought I would change all the lamps and use some deoxit on all my controls. I have the face plate and glass off, and have slid the dial needle off its rail. That's where I left off when the kiddos woke up. I'll be searching for any related threads, but thanks for any info guys!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. zebulon1

zebulon1 Building a new bench. Finally! Subscriber

Be really careful of the dial pointer.
    Breathe on it - and it breaks.

3. SaturationPt

SaturationPt Fickle Collector Subscriber

What did you do with your main filter caps?

I bought screw-terminal caps, not sure how I'm going to transition from the wire-wrap, can use crimp on ring terminals and solder I guess, any other ideas?

4. zebulon1

Ring terminals.
    Ace Hardware has a Hillman section with what you need. If you have one close by.
    I use the solder ones.

DSC03824.JPG

5. SaturationPt

I have all of the crimp parts and tools to do that, just thought maybe there is a more eloquent solution. I was considering drilling into the wire-wrapped part, re-forming it sightly, and running screws and copper washers for clamping. Not sure it really matters though.

6. TigMan

TigMan New Member

Beautiful... That is pretty close to what I had in mind but nicer. I think I'll go that route. Thanks for the picture.
    WOW, I got the 8 fuse lamps changed and holy cow!! I had 5 burnt out. I was able to nab those by lifting the retaining boards and not pulling any more face plates. Now these accessory lights... should I be able to access those by pulling this entire plate off the front?...(I am torn down as far as being able to pull the black face plate away from its tape) at the moment.
    Tape up the tuning string so it doesn't move and pull the main tuning pulley off the top and be able to pull the face plate for access??? Just guessing ahead. And will these be cutting and splicing the wires or soldering directly to the PCB?

7. zebulon1

The faceplate comes off without having to mess with the tuning mechanism.
    The two tone board assemblies come loose and held back from the faceplate. I use heavy rubber bands to hold the assemblies against the bottom of the receiver and a dish towel to insulate the assemblies from the lower components.
    If you want even more access. Remove the whole front face chassis. You'll have a few more controls and the power switch to dismount from that front chassis faceplate but it's all down hill from there.
    Take a lot of images to help remember how it goes back together.

Don't worry about the chassis getting flimsy It still has the top deck to hold things together.
    Set the receiver on its transformer side and work away. This allows for access to the top and bottom sides. Your going to need it.

Warning: Be very careful of the dial pointer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DSC05219.JPG

8. TigMan

TigMan New Member

Well that was a humbling experience. I almost made it without breaking anything. The dial pointer survived. I actually got it back together and my tuning string decided to snap as I rolled the dial a bit. I must've pinched it wrong somewhere along the line. I got all the LED's in and completely Deoxitized and lubed all knobs and switches.
    This thing is beautiful. All lights function how they should except the red stereo light. I haven't seen it come on yet, and I also am still not picking up anything on FM except for a constant steady sounding static.
    That said... any help or guidance on the string repair and stereo light diagnosis would be much appreciated. Thanks! 20190215_222641.jpg

9. tsd71

tsd71 RIP Tom Petty

Not fun...........if you're not getting stereo light it is probably an FM alignment (hence no stations coming in) check voltages going to the tuner

dial cord.JPG

10. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

You DID attach an Antenna to the FM Antenna Terminals, Right?!?!?!? Note that the Ferrite bar antenna on the back is for AM ONLY. At minimum a 6ft piece of wire to one of the 300ohm connections should get you some reception in MONO, with Stereo being somewhat weaker(with more background noise).

11. TigMan

TigMan New Member

Yea, I actually have exactly that at the moment, a 6 footer of wire coming from one of the 300 ohm spots. I haven't gotten a better setup yet, and i'm open to suggestions for the best FM antenna for this rig?? I do have coax laying around as well...
    I have no clue when the stereo light is "supposed" to be on. But I haven't started the alignment process yet either. Figured there's no point if i'm still recapping boards?? (I think I have 4 to go). Voltages to the tuner I have to get back on, but the voltages to my stereo light were roughly 5.5V through one wire and 7.5V through the other.
    All other things function properly as far as I can tell at this point, still running through a dim bulb tester.

12. SaturationPt

I finished mine this weekend, piles of parts (second one I've done, this one nicer than the first).

Pioneer SX-1010 Feb02.jpg

Regarding FM antenna: The original was a dipole, looks like twin-lead antenna wire (translucent though) that forms a T, the top wire of the T goes to both ends, is tied to the bottom wires of the T at the ends, the center of the lower horizontal wires tie to their respective side of the vertical wires, the bottom of each T vertical wire tied to the receiver antenna terminals.

The STEREO light should come on when a stereo signal is detected and decoded, you should hear the stereo image from your speakers (or headphones) when this happens. Also, if you push the MONO button and hear it changing from stereo to mono, that would tell me that it is receiving stereo but the lamp is not working.

A weak signal will sometimes not be detected / decoded as stereo, you usually need a stronger signal that is tuned well.

The DBT isn't necessary once you've verified no shorts (at each stage). When I finish a board I will power it up on my DBT, if it checks out then I go to full power each time. My DBT is set up for this and it makes it easy.

Attached Files:

• dbt.jpg
      dbt.jpg
      File size:
      87.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019 at 9:18 AM
  13. TigMan

TigMan New Member

Your stereo looks great. Thanks for the antenna info, and I will go ahead and ditch this DBT when I've concluded no shorts each time around. I found yesterday that if I click MONO I get static through both speakers, if I take MONO off, only static through the left speaker. It's a steady loud static that does not change whatsoever while I cruise the frequencies(on FM). AM does pick up stations as it should and I don't get a stereo light in there either (should i be)? I did test the bulb positive right before I threw it in yesterday..
    I picked up some 100 Lbs. Braided test fishing line today to redo the tuner line. I hope this will work..? My stock string snapped a second time, after first repair, and I am sure it's just not happy being alive still. I have a brother in law who will help me doing the FM alignment and I'll get back soon. But does this all jive with everyone still? I think my FM and tuner string might be the only things out of whack at this point. Thanks guys!

14. SaturationPt

Verify that the function switch is working, push and release the FM button a couple of times while you're listening, it can be sneaky and only give you one channel.

There is no AM stereo, and unlike some of the other receivers STEREO does not light unless it's FM Stereo.