SX-1010 plus SA-8800 = happy once again!

RastaFish

Where's My Mule?!
My beloved SX-1010 was my favorite receiver, I probably would have been content with it for a long time if the amp hadn't started cutting out on me. I pulled it from the stack and set it aside to investigate later, and have been using an SA-8800 in its place for a while now. I do like the sound of the 8800, but it just doesn't seem to have the low-end kick-in-the-ass like the 1010 (well, not many amps do).

After a few months of not having the time to properly start looking into the 1010, the lightbulb went on over my head - why not use the pre on the 1010 and the amp section of the 8800? I had never used the pre-out/main-in jumpers before on any of my gear, so here was the perfect chance to see how it works.

Well, it works great! Now I have the sound of the 1010 back, which I absolutely love, and I get to see the sweet flouroscan meters on the 8800 at the same time. Using more gear at once is always a plus, from my point of view.

I find it very interesting that when using the jumpers, the pre on the 1010 controls everything, even the volume on the 8800 does nothing now. All I do with the 8800 is turn it on and select speakers, then the 1010 controls volume, tone, balance, source selection, etc. I have learned a lot from this endeavor, and I now have back the sound I love so much.

Okay, just wanted to share my joy, now I am going back to my living room where a sweet Steve Kimock Band show is waiting to be played LOUD... :banana:

Back
Top Bottom