SX-1010 project

:beerchug:
I like the 9090DB's - a fun set to work. Same holds for true for the 950.
Good luck and see you soon!

:beerchug:
I like the 9090DB's - a fun set to work. Same holds for true for the 950.
Good luck and see you soon!

Speaking of minty minty. The 9090db I found is very nice. I’m very excited to see it back to health. It sat along time but it’s stuck in protection at the moment.
index.php

The sx-950 is also very nice but it has a blown channel.
index.php

This is your thread so I will go on:
I don't know what makes those 9090's sound so sweet. It's not the pewny power supply. Or the driver board you can hold in your hand. What heck is it? :dunno:
I did two of these for guys here in town and it was the second one I discovered you can take the tuner deck off in 30 seconds. You probably already knew that? Makes it a whole lot easier!!!!!!!!!!
The function selector switch messed me up bad. I take every switch apart to clean them and when I got the the selector, I took poor notes and no images. Got the wafers mixed up, well they were in the right place, just not clocked correctly. Don't do that.
Does yours have the green masked Dolby board?
The Dolby selector shaft has no way of securing it to the splined knob shaft. I used a little hot glue to secure it. It can back off and cause switching problems.

This is your thread so I will go on:
I don't know what makes those 9090's sound so sweet. It's not the pewny power supply. Or the driver board you can hold in your hand. What heck is it? :dunno:
I did two of these for guys here in town and it was the second one I discovered you can take the tuner deck off in 30 seconds. You probably already knew that? Makes it a whole lot easier!!!!!!!!!!
The function selector switch messed me up bad. I take every switch apart to clean them and when I got the the selector, I took poor notes and no images. Got the wafers mixed up, well they were in the right place, just not clocked correctly. Don't do that.
Does yours have the green masked Dolby board?
The Dolby selector shaft has no way of securing it to the splined knob shaft. I used a little hot glue to secure it. It can back off and cause switching problems.

This SX-1010 is sounding pretty darn good. The phono section leaves the SX-737 in the dust. The 1010 tuner also kicks the 737’s butt

With my SX-737 I felt disappointed when the recap was done. It took some time for it to settle in and sound good. But it was a fine sounding lady when all was said and done. The SX-1010 sounds right straight away. So hopefully that means the SX-1010 has more to come.

It will be interesting to see how the SX-950 and the 9090db measure up. This SX-1010 is a fine piece.

Last edited:
I feel that (after restoration) the 1010 is warmer, and in general as a more musical sound with a far better tuner than the 950, but the 950 seems to have more muscle, more punch. Preference between them depended on which speakers I had them hooked to and what type of music I'm playing.

The dimmer can still work with some modification, probably just a simple matter of playing with resistance. The question will be whether the different style LEDs dim at the same rate or whether some will be too dim before others are acceptable. If you like the LED look I'd play around with the dimmer to tweak it before writing them off.

I recruited some help from a close friend of mine last night with the wooden cabinet. We decided not to try to remove every scratch and blemish in the cabinet, and instead just focused on restoring the original finish. I think it came out well!

This is what we started with:
index.php

This is what we ended up with:
index.php

index.php

I plan to clean up the filthy knobs and switches next, and then repaint the rear grill that covers the heat sinks.

Last edited:
Looks great!
You're as good with wood as you are with he circuit boards!

Mine has a couple of dings that will need filler. I did do the front panel, knobs and glass - that came out good for me. Clean glass on the dial makes all the difference!

Thanks guys, but I can’t take the credit for the wood working. My friend took the lead on that. I mostly just watched and learned. He cleaned up the cabinet first and then used some Howard’s to darken the scratches. He had a couple of spray toners that he used to darken up a couple of light spots and then polished it up. Took us a couple of hours to turn it around.

Here is a couple more pictures with the knobs and switches cleaned up and reinstalled. It’s nice to finally have it looking as good as it sounds. Next up will be refinishing the metal grill.
index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Can I ask what other hifi components you are using with the 1010? Source? Speakers? Thank you.

I am currently using some JBL L96 speakers. I have also ran the 1010 with EPI 120B. Both sound great with the 1010.

My turntable is a Technics SL-D2. I haven’t narrowed down a specific cartridge yet. Mostly use an AT95E, but I have been experimenting lately with some old Shure carts that my father-in-law gave to me. I’ve noticed that the Shure carts have a warmer sound that seems to match up with the 1010 nicely.

Back
Top Bottom